Monday 20 May 2024

The History of Man - The 1960s

In an earlier blog entry I mentioned a multi-volume literary tome bequeathed to my brother Merlin by a cherished neighbour, Marcia Linnaeus (who we always called Auntie Marcia). The books - written by her father Julius Hare - were presented as a vast fantasy work with illustrations dominated by Sylvanian characters and entitled The History of Man. I still had some suspicions that the contents echoed the true history of mankind. Because of the contents, some of which might be considered contrary to Sylvanian values, one would find it difficult to find within our libraries. In a sense, I suppose I'm privileged that I can see the personal copy in Merlin's collection.

I mention this because Merlin has shown me some more pages, this time relating to an era called the 1960s. This was prompted by a conversation he overheard between our wives.


Apparently the two had visited Arabella Dante's dress shop Clobber. They had decided it was a nice place to visit because of the variety of clothing there. Yes, there are fancy outfits there, and with employees like Felicia Marlowe and Melanie Caramel catering to those who like modern clothes one might expect our wives to back away. Oh. I probably should have mentioned that Cecile is not a big fan of "fashion". She is irked by anyone having the audacity to state what one should be wearing. "Not really the Sylvanian way," she says. Thankfully, the customer service of the Clobber staff is nicely balanced.


With an age of changing attitudes and the subject of fashion in mind, Merlin decided I might like to see some photographs in his book. I remembered being a little unsettled after seeing some of the contents last time but interest and curiosity overcame that. I think that Darcy's investigative ways are affecting me!

o 0 O 0 o

I needn't have been worried. The pictures Merlin showed me indicated a time where there was a blossoming interest in the arts and music, expanding into new and exciting directions. Pastimes such as sports and drama were becoming more mainstream. There were also indications of an advance in scientific knowledge.  

With a growing peace movement, I saw echoes of Sylvania. That was indeed comforting.

As for the models the photographer & illustrator Sheridan Brock had used - they didn't disappoint. Sylvanians pretending to simulate human endeavours can be unintentionally funny.

Although maybe it isn't a real history after all. Walking on the moon? How likely is that!













o 0 O 0 o


4 comments:


  1. Hi Jackson!
    I loved the original way you came up with the 60's era challenge. Both the way you introduced it, with Julius Hare´s book "The History of Man", and the great the photos of some of the most popular characters and events of the decade.
    You have chosen the perfect Sylvanians for each picture!

    I love photo of the Beatles and the one with the crew of the Apollo 11. Peter and Peace want me to tell you that the picture of the soldier and the hippie girl with the long hair and flowers is their favorite .Even the dress she is wearing reminds me of the 60´s!

    Thank you for opening the pages of the 1960´s volume. I really enjoyed it!

    Have a lovely day! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cutata!
      Months ago, the first "Sylvanian era" challenge had me scratching my head - my Mellowdenians don't all believe in humans so how would I write about Victorians? The idea of Merlin possessing a "History of Man" was a way around this and so Julius Hare's epic followed.

      With this background, it was easier to handle the 1960s theme and I could concentrate on having fun finding photos representing the decade and creating suitable parodies. The soldier and hippy was the first idea I had, and the Manely pony was the obvious choice. (I never thought I'd buy these ponies but you know how collecting can get 😀 and I'd recently bought various sets.) The tin hat came from some of my childhood Action Men toys. Why am I not surprised about Peter and Peace!

      The last image I created was the Doctor Who one and I knew it had to reflect an early Doctor and monster. The Treefellow owl was ideal for the grumpy first Doctor!

      I suppose I should thank Julius Hare! Haha!

      Have a glorious June. Stay safe!

      Delete
  2. This one was fun, Jackson. Doctor "Whooooo" is too funny. :)
    I love Jackson's skepticism (and especially the primary reason for it). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, GreyRabbit! And I can't believe I missed the "Whooooo" element when choosing an owl to represent William Hartnell! I thought, "Which critter will best represent a grumpy character." Thanks for highlighting this, haha!

      My Sylvanians know precious little about the human world (with a few exceptions), with most considering them fairy tales at best. With Jackson only having limited knowledge it seems appropriate he might make some wrong deductions. Walking on the moon will appear totally whacky to him!

      Delete