Tuesday 14 April 2020

Chocolate Flavours

When chatting with Frasier Chocolate the other day, the conversation turned – not surprisingly – to chocolate. He had recently expanded his considerable range of confectionery to create a treat named after his daughter Freya. The freychoca delight used a different variety of cocoa bean; its flavour had a slight hint of strawberry. It was proving to be quite popular with the youngsters.

“Where do you find these new beans, Frasier?” I asked, “Especially since you never seem to leave Mellowdene?”

“Don’t need to leave, Jackson,” he grinned. “I have an extensive network of contacts. They keep me up to speed with the latest chocolate news.”

“Would that be the hill cats?” I knew that Frasier’s deliveries came by canal.

“No. I keep in touch with my contacts by telephone. We’ve paid for permanent switchboard connections and have special switching boxes so that we don’t inconvenience Mabel Periwinkle and the other operators. ”


“Oh. But how did you make these contacts in the first place?”

“Simple. They’re my family.”

 “Family?”

“I’ve got distant relations all over Sylvania, many of whom have been in the business for generations. How do you think we got our family name?”

I laughed. “I never really thought about that. Are they all as adventurous as you?” I teased.

“Most of them are happy to stay home, love their families, make chocolate, I gather.”

“Most?”

“Well… there are a few notable exceptions.”

“Go on.”

“There’s Clamber Chocolate. He likes mountaineering.”


“Then there’s Waverley Chocolate. He likes surfing.”


“And I can’t forget Cousteau Chocolate. Deep sea diving’s his thing.”



“They’re the main ones that come to mind. Although the craziest of all are Wilbur and Orville Chocolate. Orville flies his bi-plane and Wilbur walks on the wings.”


“Bi-plane? Walking on wings?”

“That’s right. Orville owns one of the few flying machines in Sylvania. He dusts crops down south. Wilbur is just potty.”

I had to laugh. Especially since I visualised Frasier doing all these things.

“I think I’d prefer you stick to your domesticity rather than start walking on the wings of flying machines.”

“Me too.”

I smiled, and my thoughts meandered, thinking of the wide variety of Frasier’s chocolate beans. They were sourced from all over Sylvania – although I wasn’t sure how the hill cats were able to satisfy his delivery requirements. I must ask him one of these days.



o 0 O 0 o

Additional Flavours

Southwest of Acorn Valley, in the west facing mountains of Pinnisula, you may stumble across the cocoa mines where blocks of wispachocs are embedded in the rock walls.

Spelunker Chocolate - one of Frasier's numerous relatives - is an avid caver who became one of the miners here. He extracts the blocks for transportation to Mellowdene and the rest of Sylvania.


o 0 O 0 o


8 comments:

  1. ;) Remarkable family with remarkable members - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Florence. I'm pleased you enjoyed it.

      The story was also an unexpected opportunity to subtly reiterate the link between the hill cats and the Mist Cats of West Buniyi Mountains (the tribe introduced in the Real World story). Perhaps it's about time I gave a little more information about the fantastic elements in my vision of Sylvania!

      Delete
  2. I loved this story Jackson! There sure seems to be a very adventurous streak amongst Fraiser's relatives!
    Your photo editing skills never cease to amaze me-they really bring the Sylvanians and the story to life. I especially like the photo of Clamber Chocolate. He must have a good stomach for heights, as with Wilbur!
    Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelsie. Thanks for your lovely comment; I'm happy you enjoyed this little story.

      The photo of Clamber was a bit fiddly, but worth the effort. I found a picture of a boy climbing that was free to use, took a photo of Frasier at a similar angle then manually erased his background. It wasn't too hard to position Frasier by the rock face, but I had to erase the boy as Frasier didn't fully cover him. I then had to clone bits of background to fill in the holes. Cutting out bits of harness to lay over Frasier was the next stage, then I darkened a bit of rock face under Frasier's feet to suggest a shadow. It's always satisfying when I manage to get the effect I imagined, so I'm pleased you liked this one!

      Enjoy your weekend too!

      Delete
  3. Hello Jackson!

    Haha, a very funny take on the Chocolate Rabbits prompt! I loved all the pictures you edited. My favourite is Cousteau Chocolate in his deep-sea diving suit, no doubt, haha!

    I liked the freychoca delight idea! Chocolate with a touch of strawberry, no wonder it's popular with the children!

    Thank you for another great story.
    Have a great week-end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ayrell!

    Part of the fun for me in this story was thinking of the names of these dusrant Chocolate relatives. Cousteau was an easy choice. I'm happy with Clamber and Waverley but they didn't occur to me as quickly. I rejected Hilary and Tensing and countless musicians who sang surfing songs!

    The freychoca name made me think of fraise, which is how strawberries came to mind.

    Thanks again for your comments. They are appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My apologies for not commenting on this sooner, Jackson - I actually thought I had done so when I first read it, but obviously not!
    This was a great insight into your Chocolate family's relatives - what an adventurous bunch they are! You have done a great job of the photos - I particularly like the one of the surfer - it looks super real! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, GreyRabbit!

      It was a refreshing change to step back from the deeper stories from the last couple of months and do something lighter, concentrating on the photo-editing. I'm pleased you liked Waverley the surfer!

      With the poem I did after this entry completed, I need to get back into a storytelling frame of mind. At the time of writing I've not had any ideas about "May Flowers", but I did take some photos in the garden yesterday in case they would be of use!

      Stay safe.

      Delete