Sunday 14 July 2019

Writing about Mellowdene

Some of you may wonder how I came to write about "life in Mellowdene". You can thank - or blame - Darcy Fielding, owner and editor of the Mellowdene Examiner. Quick minded and with an eye to the future, it's interesting to see how he has evolved from the quiet little mouse who attended English class with me at school.

I had been surprised when he had approached me to write an article on Timbertop Farm that he wanted in a special issue of his newspaper. I expressed this when I replied.

"I write tunes. Chris Snow-Warren is the word person. Why would you want me?"

He dismissed this comment. "Your family has been part of the village since its beginning. Your dad was interested in local history and I suspect some of that has rubbed off on you. I know you still have all his research. And I remember you at school. I enjoyed your stories best. I still have a hilarious memory of your 'Great Green Gumpy Globbit of the Grasslands' story."

I had forgotten all about that. Maybe Cecile had a point when she said Brendan had inherited his imagination from me. So perhaps it was this that convinced me to agree - either that, or the subtle manipulation by a sneaky newspaper-mouse!

I now suspect that Darcy had involved  me with the farm report as a test of my writing skills. He really wanted tales that encompassed deeper life in the village for distribution outside of Sylvania. He invited me to his office to discuss the matter.

"I have been given the means to send stories to other lands. This means you have free reign to write anything about Mellowdene, as it won't be published locally. And I wouldn't enforce deadlines on these stories - you'd have complete freedom. Surely that appeals to you."

That was how Darcy pitched the idea to me. When I asked how I'd explain my activities to my friends, he suggested that I write the occasional piece that would also be suitable for the Mellowdene Examiner, but stressed that I would be the one to decide. That's how - for example - I agreed for the Melting festival to be documented locally, but no-one in Mellowdene would see the revelation about the coral settee.

Speaking of the Melting, I had some feedback about Bernard Snow-Warren singing the song "Remain Here in Sylvania". Despite being an old standard that has been passed down in communities through the years, there are few recordings of Bunyan DuBois's tune that they could play on their gramophones. There were also requests for the lyrics to be published. How could I refuse?

o 0 O 0 o




We were so young when first we met
Our school days at their end
And love, like blossoms on a branch
Attached to her, my friend.
And colour came into our lives
And birdsong to our ears
Our lives became more vivid
And mapped our future years.


CHORUS
My love – she had a single wish
A wish that we both shared
And this desire burned with a fire;
Together we declared,
“Though wealth and health may change my life
One thing I vow to do:
Remain here in Sylvania
And end my days with you.”


The day our wedding was to be
We woke to find spring rain
At first we thought the day was spoiled
But it was to our gain.
Refreshed, the gardens bloomed anew,
The drizzle burned away,
A loving sun caressed our backs:
A Perfect Sylvan day.


CHORUS

Those early years, some times were hard
As sometimes life can be
But as young saplings brave the wind
We braved adversity
With hearts entwined like youthful vines
Our strength helped bring us through
And when at last I saw the light
It was because of you.


CHORUS

We made good friends and lived a life
That some might think was tame
But one can’t buy contentment
And in that there is no shame.
The fruit we grew from seeds of love
No greater joy we’d known
And as time passed they left to seed
And grow trees of their own.


CHORUS

And now we’re in our twilight years
The snow is in the trees
Our creaking joints like grinding ice
In hips and in our knees
We’re slowing down but haven’t stopped;
Don’t think we will reform.
We may need chairs but love still flares
And hugs still keep us warm.


CHORUS x 2

"Remain here in Sylvania
And end my days with you"


o 0 O 0 o

Note from Darcy Fielding


Perhaps you can hear this demo recording or download it to hear later? Click on the link below to find out!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Jackson!
    A very interesting little story about the origins of the Mellowdene writings! I also love Darcy's office-very original!
    That was a beautiful song with some heart-felt lyrics. Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kelsie.

      Considering the odd bits and bats I put together to create the office, I was pleased with the end result.

      Thank you for your comment about my song - I tried to give the words a "nature" feel to match our Sylvanian friends!

      Delete
  2. Wow Jackson, how lovely! I really like your song - the lyrics are beautiful, and the tune is just right. Amazing job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you GreyRabbit!

      Funny how things come together. I think I mentioned elsewhere that I had two verses of the lyrics hanging about, and I only remembered them when I was trying to think what to do for this challenge with only a handful of days left! I'm delighted you like the result. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Hello Jackson!

    A great contribution to the challenge; It was great to find the reason why Mr Butterglove is writing the stories about Mellowdene, and I really enjoyed the flashback to when he was a school boy. I think Darcy Fielding had the right idea!

    The song was wonderful! Nostalgic, wistful and sweet lyrics and melody, and you have a great singing voice. Truly impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ayrell!

    I'm glad you liked my school flashback. Choosing a juvenile rabbit and mouse to represent the young Jackson and Darcy was fun.

    And thank you for your comments about my song and singing. Very kind! It was another of those loose ends(!) I decided the title "Remain Here in Sylvania" from the Melting was worth developing.

    Have a great August!

    ReplyDelete