Thursday 21 March 2019

The Melting

At that time of year where the snowdrops and crocus have given way to daffodils, when the forsythia and cherry blossom are beginning to bloom, and the broad jade leaves of the tulips hint at what is to come - we know that spring is upon us.



Here in Mellowdene, we hold a celebration of the season with an occasion known as The Melting.

Shortly before this year's Melting, Cecile and I were discussing the events that would be taking place - I was involved in a small way - when she wrinkled her nose in that cute way she has, signifying she'd remembered a question.

"What is it, Cessie?"

She smiled. "I was wondering the other day - most everyone knows the traditions, the link with the Snow Queen and so on, but why is it really called The Melting?"



I pondered for a moment. "I'm not 100% certain, but I think it relates to an isolated spot in Sylvania called Winter Valley. This is high in the mountains and is ice-bound for months on end. However, there is a part of the year when the sun is able to shine into the valley, and the ice melts - providing water to replenish the underground rivers that irrigate the land far below, allowing new season's growth for the plant life. In this way 'the melting' signifies the beginning of spring."

"Whew!" she laughed. "And that's you not being 100% certain?"

"Alright, sweet wrinkle," I grinned, tapping her knee. "I mean it's not from a textbook or any official source. I overheard Horatio Seadog explaining all this to Twitch Hazelwood and Murky Waters a couple of years ago."

Cecile nodded. "Right. Well, I prefer the Snow Queen story."

"I'm sure the same goes for the children, and probably most of Mellowdene."

The thing is, most of the village were brought up with the legend of the Snow Queen. It was a sort of creation myth that explained how Sylvania came to be. A sort of rabbit deity - although other species have adapted this - who saw that creatures needed protection from the world. A gentle home where they could flourish. The Snow Queen created Sylvania by sacrificing herself, melting away to endow a hidden but blighted land with her magical essence. For the first time plants would spring forth, clear water would flow and life would pulse from the land. Giving us a home.

We even have a statue of her on the village green. When celebrating The Melting, most Mellowdene inhabitants make a point of visiting the statue at some time within the day.


The legend of the Snow Queen is a tale that rabbits have told their children for years. I remember my father telling the story to me and to my brothers, and in turn I entertained Brendan and Beverley with the tale. When Russell is older, I will undoubtedly tell him.

We don't spend all our time around the statue, though. That wouldn't be much of a celebration! The children are more interested in another tradition - the consumption of chocolate bunnies. These are sculpted by Frasier Chocolate and his family, making use of their confectionery skills. This year he had even made a larger chocolate bunny, covered in golden foil and intended to represent the Snow Queen. This would be a prize in a competition.


The competition would only be one of a series of other events.

I'd been asked to play the accordion so that there would be music for Poppy Dappledawn and Abbie Keats to dance their intricate steps around the maypole. I know it's not yet May, but that doesn't matter. The girls are very skilled in their footwork and timing and it's always a treat to see good dancing.




After finding out about Bear Banger and the Bunny Boys recently, Chris Snow-Warren was able to convince his father Bernard to sing for everybody at The Melting. We had a handful of rehearsals to brush up on some songs that were suitable for his vocal range, and I was most impressed. Again I played the accordion to accompany him. On the day, his voice rang out across the green and with each song the crowd grew.
His rendition of "Remain here in Sylvania" had some of the older ladies - and a couple of gents - wiping tears from their eyes. And everyone joined in with "Happy Critter Holiday". Bernard was pleased with the response, and his chums turned up to congratulate him.


On the night before the event, Frasier, Niles, Daphne and Cadbury Chocolate had been joined with Eve Wildwood, and they went around the village green hiding chocolate bunnies. These treats were in a variety of sizes, and all wrapped in foil for protection. By convention, all younger critters in the village were kept indoors so they wouldn't know where the goodies were hidden. They were similarly discouraged from visiting the green the following morning prior to the official start.

Eve Wildwood - familiar to all the children as one of their teachers - announced the rules of the foil bunny game so that the kiddies knew what they would have to do.

"You should search all around the village green for the chocolate bunnies," she said, "but DO NOT trample on the flowers. Before you begin you will be given a flag to stick into the ground near the judges. Yes, Daisy Cottontail - I'm one of the judges. But listen carefully to the rules.



"Because the bunnies are different sizes, unlike last year, we won't be judging the winner on the most found by a competitor - it will be by weight. Mr Chocolate tells me that the larger ones are better hidden but you should have long enough to find them. You will have twenty minutes to do your searching and bring your findings to your flag. Now keep listening during this. A bell will ring one minute before the end to give you a chance to bring your last findings and the bell will ring again to mark the end. After that, no more findings will count. Any questions?"

Inevitably there were. It took a while to explain that if you worked in a team, the total weight of the team's findings would be divided by the number in that team, but eventually everyone was happy. The children decided whether or not they wished to work alone and the flags were allocated.

Ben Hopkins decided to search alone, as did a few other children. A number formed family teams whilst some others joined together with their friends. Notably, all the Waters children decided to work as one big team - save Murky, who wanted to join with Oscar Marmalade and Basil Hazelwood's boys Twitch and Sniff. Twitch wondered if they were a little too old, but Eve assured them that it would be fine this year.

The starting bell rang, and the children ran in all directions, squealing with happiness.



I turned to Cecile. "I see Beverley has joined Biddie and Lisa Snow-Warren. Where's Brendan gone?"

She pointed in the opposite direction. "With Lucky and Coco Chocolate. He's promised to give half his plunder to Russell. He's a good lad."

"Plunder? Where's he got that from?"

"Lucky Snow-Warren has a book on pirates. It's all 'plunder' and 'aarr me hearties' recently. Don't tell me you haven't noticed."

"I suppose that explains the hopping."

"Aarr," said Russell helpfully.

I rubbed his ear and looked towards the edge of the green where Brendan appeared from behind a tree, leapt over a flower bed and ran in our general direction. As he passed us he yelled, "Got one," and continued towards his flag.



It continued in this vein with children running in all directions until I heard the penultimate bell. It was then that the Waters children made their memorable appearance.

Misty was first, urging her brother and cousins towards their flag. Leo was next, jumping up and down saying "bunny bunny" over and over again. Next came Roger pulling a serving trolley with Crispin pushing from behind. On the trolley was the enormous gold-wrapped prize chocolate rabbit. Ripley, Lindsay and Lester were running in their wake - at least until Lester fell over. In the distance I could see their uncles Wally and Willie laughing.




"What are they doing?" Cecile said, watching them in fascination.

"Taking advantage of the rules, I suspect. That bunny will be some weight."

As expected, once the final bell had sounded, there were some different opinions as to the Waters children's interpretation of the rules. I won't reveal the judges' ruling!

As the day came to a close and we started to walk home, I glanced back towards the village green. Twitch Hazelwood's uncles - Burrell, Scully and Turnbull (better known as Burrow, Scurry and Tumble) of Mice & Clean - were helping with the cleanup, not that there was much mess. Niles and Daphne Chocolate were retrieving any undiscovered chocolate bunnies, and the other organisers were carrying the tables and flags back to the village hall.

"A good day," I commented.

Cecile, carrying a sleeping Russell, agreed.

Brendan and Beverley were tired too. They clung to their small sacks of chocolate bunnies and trudged along ahead of us, Beverley pulling Russell's toy behind her.




Over the next few days the final tradition of The Melting would take place. One by one, a chocolate bunny would be melted over a low heat, and sugared bread-sticks would be dipped into the melted chocolate and eaten slowly accompanied by mugs of cold milk. Judging the state of my dozy children, that tradition wouldn't be exercised tonight.

I heaved my accordion into a more comfortable position and, listening to the blackbirds sing, feeling the warmth of the late sun on my back, I found my mind wandering. On such a magical evening with thoughts of The Melting, maybe the Snow Queen wasn't a myth after all.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Jackson! It was lovely to learn about the history and traditions of Mellowdene. You are very clever with your photo editing-that would be beyond me! And I have to say, you are incredibly talented with your writing, your stories are always so amazingly written!
    Haha, good on the Waters children for finding a loophole in the competition!
    Thanks for sharing this lovely story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelsie! I've been having fun with my world-building and trying do develop the characters of my Sylvanians, and was particularly pleased how this story turned out. The Waters children can be a little mischievous, but their uncles do fan the fire a bit...

      I'm glad you enjoyed this tale, so thanks again.

      Delete
  2. What a fantastic story, Jackson! I actually really liked the Winter Valley explanation of The Melting, just as much as the Snow Queen one.
    Love the picture of the Waters children with their enormous prize! 10 points to them for creative thinking. :)
    And I see that Burrow, Scurry and Tumble have made it into a story already! The name of their cleaning business is just the best thing ever - love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you GreyRabbit! Bringing together elements of the previous challenge stories gave me a lot of enjoyment, and I'm happy that the result was satisfying.

      I suspect the uncles Wally and Willie Waters were the brains behind the childrens' idea. I note they were talking to Roger and Crispin earlier...

      And yes! My new Hazelwoods sneaked into the story. Being adults rather than children, their names became nicknames. The other two became Basil (nickname Bustle) and Betty Hazelwood. I'm making a chef's hat for Bssil and trying to decide how to dress the Mice & Clean team (glad you like the name!) when they're on a job. I'd love them to have boiler suits and little lamps to go on their heads - but maybe that's a touch adventurous!

      Delete
  3. Hello Jackson!
    I really enjoyed reading about The Melting in Mellowdene, you had great ideas and the story was wonderfully written. It's great to see the lore of Mellowdene slowly developing with each tale!
    Such nice traditions they have! Love the dancing, the performance and of course the chocolate hunt. I think the Waters children had the best idea ever, haha! They should be rewarded for their wit. :)

    I also enjoyed reading the ending, so wistful! I'm hoping that the Snow Queen tale is real after all (though I do appreciate the "normal" explanations as well! :)).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ayrell, and thanks for your kind observations.

      I'm glad you noticed how I'm trying to write my stories whilst building upon earlier tales. A few off-the-cuff mentions of new characters will hopefully lay foundations for later stories too.

      I'm enjoying building all respects of Mellowdene - history, geography, social - and I'm finding this "flash-fiction" style blog writing an ideal way of doing this slowly but steadily. What fun, eh?

      Delete
  4. Hi Jackson,
    What a wonderful story! It´s so well-written that is a real pleasure to read it. You have excellent writing skills and an amazing creativity and imagination. It seems Mellowdene is a real place with its own legends and traditions.I love the way you´re "building" your village without the need of adding many buildings, if you know what I mean.
    I really enjoyed reading about the Snow Queen, a lovely legend, and about The Melting. This is such a wonderful spring celebration with so much going on for everyone to have fun. I particularly enjoyed the chocolate bunny hunt and the picture of the Waters children pushing the trolley with the big gold- wrapped chocolate bunny. That was so funny! Misty and Leo look so excited! Thanks for making me smile, I really need it these days.
    I also admire your photoshop skills.The last picture is perfect to feature the lovely ending of your story.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comments, Cutata! It makes me happy to know all these aspects of my story are appreciated. I did enjoy writing about the Melting, and it was fun to let the Waters children run wild. I'm glad it made you smile. And thank you for highlighting the last picture as it is my favourite one.

      Delete
  5. Forum Comments:
     Florence Holiday » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:10 pm
    Wow - Mellowdene is a place full of wonderful traditions!

    I love your imagination and detailed story-telling. Now I can well imagine, why Sylvania has the shape of a bunny head. And I'll send grateful thoughts to Frazier Chocolate when unwrapping chocolate bunnies for Easter. 
    ___
     Ayrell » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:21 pm
    Jackson, I really enjoyed reading your story and about the spring traditions in Mellowdene. I also love the Snow Queen story, so magical! I loved seeing Bernard performing again! And what a huge chocolate bunny Frasier made!  The chocolate hunting was adorable. The Waters children had a great idea, haha! And those sugared bread sticks dipped in chocolate sound delicious. You did a great job making the whole festival work around the theme of melting, as explained in the beginning.

    ReplyDelete