Thursday 11 April 2019

Telly Parties

There aren't too many television sets in Mellowdene. Most families seem to be happy enough with the news and music supplied with their radiograms. Some are wary of the new technology, some don't see the need, and a few think it could be a bad influence.

At the moment I suppose I fall somewhere in the second camp, although I'm not averse to being convinced otherwise. I periodically check the TV schedules in the Mellowdene Examiner, but - compared to the radio schedules - I feel neither the STC nor the CCV (the two channels we could receive) offer much extra.

My boy Brendan would probably disagree, but that's probably because he is often infatuated with a particular TV serial. I know Brendan's infatuations are frequently short-lived so his occasional pleas of "Why can't we get a telly?" can be diverted in the knowledge that his attention will be redirected before too long.

In any case, Lucky Snow-Warren's family own a television and they are happy for Lucky to hold a weekly "Telly Party" to which he can invite his pals. As Lucky's best friend, Brendan is invited and he naturally looks forward to this. We show our appreciation by inviting Lucky to eat with us beforehand.


Telly Parties have become small community events and seem to encourage friendships through a shared interest. A bit like book clubs, I suppose.

o 0 O 0 o

One afternoon recently, Brendan and Lucky were playing a dress up game. Lucky had some sort of dome over his head meant to represent a space helmet. Brendan had a false beard and he had borrowed some fancy clothes that made him look like a sideshow magician.

"Ptoo, ptoo!" said Lucky, pointing his finger at Brendan.

"Ha-harr!" said Brendan, "My magic aura melts your raygun stuff!"

"Noooo!"

I called them over.

"Who are you supposed to be, then? Bunny Rogers in the 25th Century?"

Brendan laughed. "No, dad. Lucky's playing Flash Gopher. I'm Mink the Merciless."

"You're the baddie?"

"Yes!" He turned to Lucky and growled. "Gurrr! I am the baddest man in the galaxy. You are in my power. Yield before me, Flash Gopher!"

"Never!" said Lucky,

Their play was interrupted when Beverley popped her head around the doorway. Upon seeing the role play between her brother and Lucky, she rolled her eyes. "Mum says to go and wash your paws 'cause tea is ready."

Lucky removed his space helmet and we made a move. Walking along, Lucky whispered to me. "Is it true that Brendan had an uncle called Flash who died?"

I nodded. "My cousin Bobbie was married to a rabbit called Flash Bobtail. Shortly after Biddie was born he accidentally fell from a rooftop. It's very sad."

"Yes, it is. Maybe that's why Brendan chose to play Mink rather than Flash Gopher."

I looked at the little white rabbit by my side and smiled. Such insight for one so young.


o 0 O 0 o

The meal was over. It would soon be time for the Telly Party and Flash Gopher and the Purple Moon of Saturn. As the boys moved to depart, Lucky turned to Cecile, his face suddenly serious. "Thank you for a lovely tea, Mrs Butterglove."

"Why, thank you Lucky," replied Cecile suppressing a smile.

Brendan's voice called from the vicinity of the front door, "Come on, Lucky - we'll be late!" and Lucky responded with an uncomfortable smile, a tiny wave, a steady walk out of the room and the sound of rapid footsteps as he ran down the hall. A slammed door and we heard laughter as the two boys hurtled down the garden path.

"The siren call of the television set," I remarked.

Cecile put her head on one side and regarded me with mock concern. "The lure of the piano. The clutch of the carrot casserole, The stickyness of a jam session..."

I chuckled. "Point made, Cessie."

o 0 O 0 o

It was nearly two hours later, shortly before dusk, when I heard the door click. Brendan had returned. He made his way to my side, wiping his nose with the back of his paw. I could see dried tear marks on his cheeks.

"Whatever is the matter, my little man?" I said, putting my arm around his shoulders. I felt him shuddering, trying but failing not to cry.

"It's Flash Gopher," he sobbed. "I think he's dead."

I managed to find out that the channel had aired the last episode in the series, and the drama had ended on a cliff hanger where the hero had apparently fallen to his death. Undoubtedly a new season of the show would have him miraculously reappear, but that wouldn't be for some months. I tried to reassure him, but he looked up at me with glistening eyes.

"But Auntie Bobbie's husband didn't come back when he fell off that roof. Biddie never met her daddy."

It never occurred to me that Flash Bobtail's death could be made real because of a TV programme. I hugged my boy until he calmed down. When Cecile came downstairs from attending to Russell, Brendan detached himself from me and went to hold his mum instead.

Shortly afterwards, after cuddles, warm drinks and reassurances, Brendan went to bed.

"You can't blame the television," said Cecile.

"I'm not," I said, "It's probably good that he got those feelings out."

"Yes. But it makes you wonder what will come next."

"And how Flash Gopher will return," I said, wiggling my fingers in the air.

"Idiot."

o 0 O 0 o

We needn't have been concerned about Brendan. The next morning, Lucky came to play. He had brought his book on pirates.

Brendan hopped into the room with a mop under his arm, pirate hat on his head.


I looked down at my youngest, who had stopped rocking on his rocking horse.

"Aarr," said Russell.

o 0 O 0 o


Editorial: Broadcasts to Mellowdene


Most - if not all - residents of Mellowdene would agree that life is good here. Part of this is due to the careful assessment we make regarding "progress". Quality of life is always the most important consideration. It is the duty of us all to balance comfort, convenience and technology whilst maintaining the values and environment we have established over many years. The Mellowdene council has been foremost in clarifying our choices and, so far, it seems to have worked. We have drinking water, electricity and sanitation in most of our houses. That is positive progress considering that the village was founded by four families around a watering hole!

Wow. That was serious, wasn't it!

One item that was debated was the issue of radio and television and how it would affect our way of life. It's quite a few years ago, but the idea of radio programmes broadcast from locations around Sylvania was thought miraculous and was almost universally accepted. Many households own radiograms.

The acceptance of television was less clear-cut. Younger residents were happy with the idea, but some older crittizens thought that radios were sufficient. There was only agreement after assessment of the quality of the broadcasters  Practically, Mellowdene can only receive television from two Sylvanian broadcasters - the Sylvanian Television Company (STC) and the Calico Crittervision (CCV). Their programming tends to be family-friendly. Educational broadcasts, news and a handful of dramas, all fitting within a window of five hours a day.

Unlike radiograms, the take-up of television sets was limited. This has increased associations between youngsters so that they can congregate when popular dramas are aired. They call these "telly parties."   



5 comments:

  1. Nice little story, Jackson. You have portrayed the influence of the new television shows in an interesting way - whilst upsetting to him at the time, watching this episode of Flash Gopher (hilarious name, by the way - yes I am old enough to get the reference!) seems to have the potential to help Brendan process things in his own life. Sometimes this aspect of really good tv shows is overlooked - once again, Sylvania leads the way! :)
    I also like the names you have given the broadcasters - especially Calico Crittervision! Cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, GreyRabbit. I agree - sometimes a TV programme can remind one of something relevant to one's own life; the association may be a little tenuous at times, but if the real event is of significance that can be enough.

      In this story I wanted young Brendan to be reminded of a family bereavement, and although this happened possibly before he was born, he transferred the concerns onto his own daddy. Fortunately, Brendan is a well-adjusted little boy and other interests soon take precedence!

      I found it refreshing to write from a kiddie's viewpoint - my other fiction contains few very young characters. Writing for Mellowdene and its uncomplicated residents is both relaxing and enjoyable - but I can still world-build, develop characters - and include the odd pun!

      Delete
  2. Hi Jackson,

    Great story! I feel sorry for poor Brendan (and glad he quickly recovered from the sad experience!) but I think that you managed to capture the way a TV show can affect a person (especially a young mind) very realistically! I'm happy the children are still finding ways to amuse themselves besides the TV! I'm sure Flash Gopher will make a triumphant return next season, hehe! I'm so sorry about Lucky's dad though, such a tragedy!
    I really enjoyed reading about how TVs have impacted life in Mellowdene!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ayrell - glad you liked the story - not as upbeat as most! Happily, Brendan doesn't tend to dwell on things. That said, I suspect his brief thoughts on mortality will make him a little more protective of his cousin Biddie.

      As regards TV in Mellowdene, the influence will continue - Calico Crittervision shows commercials...

      Delete
  3. Forum comments:
    GreyRabbit » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:40 pm
    An interesting take on the influence that quality tv shows can have, Jackson! I really like the photo of Brendan hugging his dad - the angle of the feet etc makes it look very realistic.
    ___Florence Holiday » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:36 pm
    :lol: What a sweet story..... and what an evil cliffhanger that makes poor little Brendan cry for his hero! I hope the next season will show Flash Gopher again in good health and alive and kicking. Reading your story, JacksonButterglove, I wondered if your little boy really was old enough to understand the difference between fantasy film and real life (sad thing about Flash Bobtail, Biddies pa) and was relieved to see him having fun playing pirates with his friend the next morning. I can well understand elderly crittizens ( :loveit: love that word!) criticising the effects of tv on youngsters. Anyway - telly parties are a great event!
    ___ Terra » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:55 am
    Telly parties are a very Sylvanian way to handle the introduction of a new technology into a village. Great approach! I really enjoyed the Flash Gorden references too.
    ___ Ayrell » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:51 am
    Jackson, I really enjoyed your story, quite a deep and realistic view on the ways fiction can impact our personal feelings. I felt so sorry for the children, but I'm glad Brendan swifly recovered and was back playing pirates the next day! I'm sure Flash Gopher will make a spectacular return next season!
    So sad about Lucky's father though...

    ReplyDelete