Wednesday 29 April 2020

April Showers


My good friend, Chris Snow-Warren, penned this verse after seeing me in the rain, calling Brendan and Orton in from the garden. I thought I'd share it with you.

 

April Showers


The showers came, that April morn
yet none complained, none felt forlorn
in Mellowdene, where I was born,
for that is not our way.
And even when the minutes passed
an hour or more, sky overcast,
we knew the showers would, at last,
pass by; they wouldn't stay.



The weeks of warm spring skies had blessed
us with bright days, then from the west
the clouds edged in to say "a rest
is well earned by the sun,
and whilst we're here, it's time, we think,
to give the plants down there a drink."
We barely had the time to blink!
I guessed that some might run!



Yet through a window on that day
I didn't see that old cliché
for two young boys were hard at play -
to rain, they paid no heed,
For one, by habit, was well cloaked,
the other cared not he was soaked;
they splashed and skipped about and joked;
a joy to see, indeed.



A mother's voice that says, "Be told!
We don't want them to catch a cold,"
can cause a vision to behold:
Shiny, blue and wet.
The sight of friend and workmate Jack
Resplendent in a plastic mac -
I wrote this verse to give him flack
so he will not forget!




In my mind's eye I tend to see
The Keystone Critters off TV
(my brother once invited me
to watch this vintage show).
The children will begin to chat
on seeing Jackson in that hat -
Let April show us joy in that,
and let the laughter flow!


Christian Snow-Warren 

o 0 O 0 o



6 comments:

  1. I like your poem, Jackson! (although I must admit I kept waiting for someone to say "Nevermore"... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi GreyRabbit, and thanks.

      One could never accuse Chris of ravin'... or being po-faced... I'll stop now.

      Glad you liked the poem. Thankfully it was easy to write; I only used Rhymezone a couple of times!

      Delete
  2. Hi Jackson!
    What a splendid poem! The pictures of the rabbits out in the rain are very effective; it looks so real! The raincoat is wonderful-did you make it yourself?
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelsie! Thanks!

      I did make the raincoat. No sewing was involved. I cut the pattern out of an old foil balloon, then used self-adhesive masking tape to strengthen it. I then used more of the tape to attach the seams. I used a paper glue-stick to attach the buttons.

      I'd mentioned in an earlier story that Brendan didn't mind playing in the rain, and this - along with the raincoat - gave me the idea for the poem.

      Take care.

      Delete
  3. Hello Jackson,
    Amazing poem! I find poetry very difficult, so I'm very impressed!
    It was quite wistful at first, and then very funny, haha!
    Loved the rainy pictures and Jackson's raincoat! Wonderful hat, perfect for rabbit ears!
    Have a great rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I enjoyed showing Orton and Brendan playing in the rain. They've become like brothers, and I hope the picture helps reinforce this. At first I wondered if Lucky Snow-Warren would feel left out by the relationship, but realised Brendan's inclusive nature wouldn't allow that.

      Glad you liked the raincoat. It was put together fairly quickly. I think the foil material helps its plastic appearance.

      Stay safe!

      Delete