Wednesday 29 May 2024

Finding a Way - Epilogue

Hello. My name is Darcy Fielding and I have a problem.


Yes, I know that sounds serious but I couldn't resist a bit of drama. And I do have a quandary to resolve. It is distracting me from my work here at the Mellowdene Examiner. Fortunately, Harry Hawthorne and Antonia Petite are more than capable of keeping things on track.


As for my quandary, it relates to the potential aftermath of Jackson's expedition to open a route to Chunglewood.

Of course I'm proud that my friend was able to succeed in finding a way for Ricardo Porcini to reunite with his family in Chunglewood but it has opened up so many more questions. 
 

First the unusual questions. Bruin Redbear said it perfectly. How did the Chunglewood people get to the middle of the forest? To the best of our knowledge the sole way in was the winding route that was so lengthy that only Ricardo was prepared to endure the journey. Four hours or so. If everyone else rejected this route, how did they get to the clearing? Even if they made that initial journey, why would they venture into Tall Tree Forest? What would prompt them?


And the route itself. How was it discovered? Given the unusual properties of the forest it must have taken many aborted searches to reach the clearing. 

I cannot explain it. You can imagine how irritating that is for someone with my reporting background. Which brings me to my real problem.


I publish the Mellowdene Examiner. It's how the people of the county find out what's going on and I have a responsibility to tell the truth. There are things I've not mentioned but I have never lied. 

I have not made the villagers aware of the vast network of tunnels beneath Sylvania that would hugely reduce journey times about the land. I am aware that there are potential dangers down there and flooding these routes with crittizens is not in anyone's interest. An omission for the public good, not a lie.


Chunglewood is different. How do I explain a new community on our doorstep? When Chunglewoodians (we really need a proper term here) wander into Mellowdene, our friendly nature will prompt greetings and questions. The paper can hardly remain silent. 


So what can I say? What stopped them visiting before? Do I attempt to explain this crystal malarkey? I'm guessing that the Treefellows, Mist Cat Tribe, the Sylvanian Research Group would prefer that the crystals - and what they represent; their functions - are not made public knowledge.


Will Mellowdenians decide to visit their Chunglewoodian neighbours?  Having read Jackson's story I gather that there may be differences in culture. Ricardo could advise, but I can't see him addressing village meetings. John Silk, as a trained mediator and advocate would be better getting involved. Maybe assisting in producing a supplement for the Mellowdene Examiner.


That is the crux of my problem. There are more questions, probably lesser ones based on Jackson's story but they have still piqued my interest. What or where is Honeysuckle Hollow? What is a Woodzeez? What does Owen Quiller hope to learn? Was Ricardo using his travel writing job as a cover to search Sylvania for a mysterious truth?

Who can I ask? Might Mulder Honey-Fox have any advice? The Treefellows? What should Mayor Nettlefield be told? The Sheriff's Department? Reverend Kelvin Waters?  


These are the thoughts I'm having. I think I need to lie down. Failing that, get involved in work. Antonia needs to work on her "People" column and Harry will need assistance in the print room. 

o 0 O 0 o

Me again. I left work early to come home but I've reached a decision. I decided to put aside the unusual questions I highlighted and concentrate purely on finding a way to suitably inform Mellowdene about Chunglewood. 
 

I was considering approaching our Sheriff, Bisto Wildwood. His department settles differences in opinions and helps to ensure we adhere to Sylvanian values. I wouldn't need to go into details about crystals. I could just say that I'd learned that the Treefellows found a new path through Tall Tree Forest and they opened a route to an unknown village. I could then say the villagers might have different customs, then ask Bisto to handle any potential clashes. I picked up the phone to arrange a meeting. 


The response was unexpected. He chuckled.

"I was about to come and see you," he said. "and you preempt me by asking for a meeting. Perhaps we can help each other. What do you want to talk about?"

"There's a place called Chunglewood..."


I broke off and stared at the phone earpiece. He was laughing.

"Darcy Fielding. I might have known you'd be ahead of me. That's why I want to talk to you. Okay if I come over to you now? You're at your office?"

"No. At home."

"Be right over." He hung up.


I was intrigued.

o 0 O 0 o
 
Bisto was in his uniform. It seems he lives in those clothes. Maybe because duty is so important to him. He wasted no time in coming to the point.


"Aristotle Treefellow requested an extraordinary meeting of the council and the mayor complied. They had it this morning. Other than Ramsey Nettlefield, Hugo Trunk and Kelvin Waters, representatives for food, transport and postal services were there. And me, of course. Really, you should have been present, but you weren't at the paper. I saw Ricardo Porcini and he thought you'd taken a day off."


"Half day. I was visiting Jackson Butterglove."

"I see. That's how you knew about Chunglewood."


"We are friends. We talk. But back to Chunglewood. Who speaks first?"


"You can."


I told him my concerns about Mellowdenians flooding to Chunglewood out of neighbourliness, overwhelming them and giving rise to inadvertent cultural clashes.

 
Bisto nodded and refrained from commenting until I'd done.


"You've essentially summarised the council meeting," he said, shaking his head in wonder. "This could be a marvellous experience so we want to handle it right. We have indeed called in John Silk and he will be going with Aristotle to speak to the Chunglewood people. He then wants to have letters sent to all Mellowdene residents, explaining how best to proceed."

"Good."


"We'd hoped that you could help with the printing..."

"Of course. That would have a greater reach than a newspaper supplement."


"Thank you. Although your idea about a supplement has benefits too; I suggest it is probably best after the letter drop. Actually, maybe a regular column with updated information would be useful."

"Including Ricardo in the communications?"


"If he's agreeable. John Silk will be speaking with him before he goes to Chunglewood."

To my relief, it seemed that everything was falling into place. Bisto's visit had put my mind at rest. Of course there still were the "unusual questions" to answer but there was no great rush to do that.


I started to think about my chum Samuel Stamp and his colleagues. The Mellowdene Post Office would be getting busy! 


o 0 O 0 o 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Darcy!
    I congratulate you for taking your job so seriously. The fact that you ask yourself so many questions and want to find the right answer to give truthful information to the residents of Mellowdene shows that you are a good reporter.

    I'm sure you will find answers to all these questions without revealing certain details. As you rightly say, omitting information is not lying.

    I'm glad that you feel more at ease after talking to Bisto.

    Writing a regular column on the paper about new updates related to the Chunglewood community is a great idea.

    Will residents of the real world have the chance to know what that letter says? I´m curious to know what kind of information Mellowdenians will get about their new Chunglewoodians neighbours.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cutata!
      Thank you for your comments. I was a little preoccupied with the Chunglewood questions but the kind intervention by Harry and Antonia reminded me I had practical work to do. Introspection is a useful process to gather one's thoughts but it is advisable not to let the thoughts become overwhelming.

      Bisto is very level headed and I was pleased to hear about his meeting with the council. Chunglewood will certainly interest the Mellowdenians but with the combination of Bisto and John Silk, I'm sure things will go smoothly. John is a clever cat and he is experienced in balancing the needs of communities, still being a key person when it comes to negotiations between Mellowdene and Catsholme.

      As for the letter... I expect it will serve the purpose but I doubt it will be particularly exciting! Actually, it's just occurred to me - Ricardo isn't the only Chunglewoodian currently in Mellowdene. Their archivist Owen Quiller is still hanging about. He is getting quite friendly with Merlin Butterglove. Two bookworms probably!

      Interesting times!

      Delete