Sunday 28 January 2024

Flash Gopher and the Micro Rays

It was Saturday morning and my sister-in-law Eliza had gone to visit her brother Denzel over at Butterglove Lodge. She goes across every couple of weeks to give Denzel and Samantha a day off from their quads. On this occasion, Cecile, Beverley and little Russell had accompanied her. Merlin was elsewhere in our house leaving me with Brendan, Orton and Snorker.


Brendan was enthusing about one of his Christmas presents, an activity book tied in to his favourite television show. Yes, you know the one. Flash Gopher. He was reading snippets aloud, showing Orton some of the themed puzzles and the prospective craft work to create facsimile props as used by the actors. Orton began by simply showing polite interest (although co-opted into the game, it's more Brendan and Lucky Snow-Warren's infatuation) but I could see the lad becoming infected with Brendan's enthusiasm. 

"Look at this," said Brendan. "Plans for Flash's jump-car. Just think if Mink the Muckiless had one like it..."
 

"Mm," said Orton. "Does it say how it flies?"


"No. I suppose some bits need to stay secret."

The conversation was interrupted with the entrance of Merlin. He looked almost as excited as Brendan.
 

"I've got to show this to someone. Come through to the Cauldron."


He disappeared back through the door and the boys looked at me. A brief pause and they scrambled to follow him.
 

"Coming, Pappa!" Orton called.
 

I followed more sedately, although my curiosity was rapidly mounting.

o 0 O 0 o

The Cauldron was the nickname for Merlin's kitchen. When he wasn't reading or engaged in librarian duties, my brother liked to be inventive in the culinary arts. He would share his creations - always tasty and something eagerly anticipated. 


Butterglove House has been in our family for generations and currently both Merlin and I live here with our families. Being such a close family we have no real issues living together but we had to admit scheduling the use of a single kitchen and bathroom was a challenge at times. 

Now, there have been modifications and extensions to the house over the years. The most recent was prompted by a suggestion from Merlin. We agreed the idea to extend the rear of the house to add an extra kitchen made sense, and that is how the Cauldron came into being. 

 
Henry-Lloyd Construction were engaged and Merlin played a large part in specifying the design, liaising with their senior architect Hector Corntop. Hector had seniority following the resignation of his friend and colleague - Cecile's brother, Rowan Ivory.

Bamboo Builders did the actual building with Bertram Bamboo liaising with Henry Corntop. Diego Woolly and Slick Slydale were the primary bricklayers and were heavily involved throughout the construction.
 


Milton Chocolate was engaged to do the decorating.


Mice and Clean - represented by the Hazelwood brothers - dealt with the additional water supply and laying of extra sewer pipes.


Perry Babblebrook did all the internal plumbing. In fact he's done it twice - once when the kitchen was built and again when Merlin and Eliza decided that the original sink unit was too basic. The second time they decided to site the replacement beneath the window figuring it would be nice to view the wildlife whilst they were washing up.
 

Like our kitchen, the Cauldron does have a table for eating away from the dining room. In Merlin's case, this proves ideal to give him a little privacy with Eliza. Also, since Orton joined the family, time there helped him bond with the couple who would become his surrogate parents.


It has freed up some space in the dining room too. I'm not claiming sole use (Merlin and Eliza eat there when they invite guests) but it is less cramped than it would be now that our children have grown.  

With Merlin's excitement I expected either a new gadget or the sharing of an brand new culinary delight.

o 0 O 0 o


Merlin took us through to his kitchen and we saw there was someone waiting. Our brother, my twin - Newton Butterglove.


"Newt," I said in greeting.

"Jackson. Boys," he said in response. 


Merlin was beaming, an arm extended to one of the worktops. "Look what Newton has given me as a belated Christmas gift. It's a microwave!"


"It's for you and Eliza, and it's from Audrey as well as me," said Newton gathering his tools. "I've installed it into your secondary power ring." 
 

"Yes, yes," said Merlin dismissively, then realised he was being impolite. "Sorry, Newt. Thank you." He then addressed me. "But isn't it great? It is the first one in Mellowdene."


"It's SRG approved," explained Newton. "We should see more become available, but I thought you'd like one as soon as the Research Group okay-ed the technology."


"What does it do?" I asked.


"It's a type of oven that generates microwaves," said Merlin. "It will help with my veg prep and all sorts. It cooks things faster too."

Newton smiled, happy at our older brother's reaction. And yet, I was distracted by some rapid whispering from the boys - mainly Brendan.


"What are you two whispering about?" I said.


Brendan turned, wide-eyed. "It's the micro rays thing. I've been reading about it in my book."


"Your Flash Gopher book?"


Brendan began to get quite animated. "Yes! Micro rays are what powers Flash's ray pistol. The one that makes people good. Pyoo pyoo and he wins against the army of Mink the Muckiness. Dr Skunkov invented a generator to charge the pistol. And here it is in the Cauldron."

In this longstanding role play game, Lucky Snow-Warren adopted the role of Flash Gopher and Brendan played the evil Mink.


"I was telling him that it's a microwave," said Orton. "Waves not rays. Different."


"And yet light can be considered as both waves and rays," commented Newton.

"Probably not helping," I muttered, aware of the potential of Brendan's imagination.


"You see?" said Brendan. "I am Mink the Muckiness. If I can sabotage the micro ray generator, then Flash won't have his power over me."


"You won't be playing with the microwave, Brendan," I said firmly.

"Oh, okay. I guess I won't need to. I just need to stop Flash getting to it to recharge his pistol. That's how it works. The book says so."


Merlin looked at Orton. "And who are you supposed to be in all of this?

"Mink's advisor, General Octon," said Orton sheepishly.


"Then advise Mink not to play in my kitchen."

"Looking at Brendan's book, it seems Mink doesn't always take advice."

Newton stepped forward and aimed a power drill at Brendan.
 

"Pyoo pyoo. You've been goodified."


Brendan stared, confused by this uncharacteristic behaviour by my boffin of a brother. "Uncle Newt?"


"Also known as Professor Newtov, colleague of Dr Hans Skunkov. Henceforth you will be known as Mink the Mild Mannered."


Orton laughed. "As your advisor I advise you to give up, mighty Mink."


From the side of my mouth I whispered to my twin, "How do you know about Flash Gopher? Are you a secret fan?"

"Hardly. The Sylvanian Research Group provided technical advisers to the show's production company. I went on set a couple of times. Don't tell Brendan."


Brendan had turned to leave, his shoulders slumped. I saw him pause, smile at Orton and say something. I only caught a few words but it explained the smile.


"...effect is only temporary."

o 0 O 0 o



6 comments:

  1. Hi Jackson!

    Loved this cute story! I enjoyed learning about the Cauldron, its building and its practical uses, and Brendan being turned into Mink the Mild Mannered by Newton at the end was hilarious. Since the effect is only temporary, I wonder if he will be back for the microwave's powers, haha!

    Always enjoy seeing Orton feature in a story! Such a nice contrast to energetic Brendan, with his quiet politeness. Hope he's doing well with his foster parents.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ayrell!

      Very happy you loved the story, thanks. Writing something on the theme of "kitchens" held me up for a while. I decided early on that it should feature Merlin & Eliza's new(ish) kitchen as mentioned in the Time Capsule story, but I needed an angle to pep up the tale. Brendan is always a useful element, like his uncle Rowan, so I thought I'd use him somehow - and his TV infatuation was the spark.

      I'm glad you like Orton. He is an unusual but likeable little chap, quite mature because of his upbringing, but blossoming since Eliza, Merlin and his extended family welcomed him to Mellowdene. There is indeed a contrast to his cousins, and I too enjoy seeing him feature. Maybe he needs another story where he takes centre stage.

      Have a great February!

      Delete
  2. Hi Jackson!

    I really enjoyed this story!

    I love the scenes of the construction process of the "Cauldron".What an appropiate nickname for Merlin´s kitchen! It turned out great. It looks very spacious with plenty of room for kitchen furniture and cookware and place for a dining area. Nice kitchenet too!

    I also enjoyed the part of the game between the children with Brendan pretending to be Mink the Muckiness and Orton as his advisor. Even though Orton didn´t seem very enthusiastic about Flash Gopher at the very beginning of the story,it was great that he ended up joining the game .I think he also enjoyed it. It was fun that Newton engaged in his nephews´game turning Mink the Muckiness into Mink the Mild Mannered.Ha ha “You´ve been goodified” That´s a great line and so it is the last one of the story. As always your imagination never ceases to amaze me.

    Thanks for making me smile. Reading this story as soon as I woke up made me start my day in a good mood :)

    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cutata!

      I once included a basic photo of Merlin's kitchen in an earlier story, and has referenced its construction in another. The Creative Challenge seemed a good opportunity to make more of the room. Story wise, I figured that including some photos about its construction would add a little interest and provide a reason to show the Mice & Clean team, neighbour/gardener/plumber Perry Babblebrook, and decorator Milton Chocolate. Long ago I had shown Hector Corntop to be a friend of Rowan Ivory so figured that he could be a fellow architect. It's always fun to connect to earlier stories and expand village relationships. As for the builders, I chose a couple who better fitted the hard hats!

      Of course I needed a reason to write about Merlin's kitchen and a recent purchase of the microwave was the spark. I could include Newton as it was comparatively new tech. Merlin would be excited. A decent start, but he'd want to tell somebody if I could have Eliza temporarily absent. That indirectly led to Orton and Brendan. And we know that Flash Gopher is something that excites Brendan. And that's how everything evolved.

      I'm glad the story put you in a cheery mood! Take care!

      Delete
  3. Hi Jackson. Sorry I haven't commented on this one earlier. I read it a while ago actually, and I could have sworn I commented on it then, but I mustn't have. Weird.
    Anyway, I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed this one. The interplay between Brendan, Orton, and finally Newton, was lots of fun. I love the genuinely shocked expression you have managed to capture on Brendan after his uncle unexpectedly "goodifies" him, and of course the final line was great. I think my favourite parts might have been Orton's comments though - his mixture of wanting to go along with Brendan's game, but at the same time being a bit embarrassed about it (and clearly wanting the adults in the room to know that actually he is really a bit above all this, really...) was inspired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi GreyRabbit and thank you.

      It's always fun to let Brendan's character off the leash. He almost writes his own dialogue - a sort of "stream of consciousness" and I let the others react to him. Orton is also fun - you're right about him in that he is quite mature in some ways - his unusual upbringing with his parents Martyn & Erika contributed to this but now he is having more of a childhood. He is now a gentle boy with an underlying edge. That sensible element is probably good for Brendan.

      I've just been writing a short scene where these two pop up briefly!

      Take care.

      Delete