Thursday 21 December 2023

The Christmas Elves

Hi. Darcy here. Jackson is preoccupied with something else so you've got me. That works well as I've a slightly unusual tale to tell. I have my own opinions about it but I'll refrain from sharing them; see what you think.

It all started when I heard that Santa's Grotto would be open in time for the Christmas Holiday. This is the place that my cousin Alonso told us about last year. It was under construction then, a sort of distribution centre for a group known as the Santa Society. Lionel Grand's brother - Lennox Murr-Grand - was in charge of this new Mellowdene branch. Well, before the doors opened, Lennox contacted me so that it could get some publicity in my newspaper. My daughter Una heard about it and announced that she would also attend on behalf of the school newsletter. Why not? 
 

We walked along the expanded defile into the foothills and at our destination we were welcomed into a foyer area by Lennox and his son Lawrence. Other than ourselves, there was only Cheery Snowdrift present, preparing to take out a delivery. As for our hosts, the lions were dressed in their festive clothes as per usual. 


"Good merriment, Darcy," said Lennox. "And Una, isn't it?"

Una nodded. "That's me, yes. I'm here to ask questions..."


I interrupted her. "In good time, Una. There's no rush." I scanned our surroundings, noting the ice effect on the walls, the sparkly decorations and an artificial tree.  "Looking good, Lennox."

"It will look even better when we use the snow generators that Paul Polaris set up for us outside. It all adds to the Christmas atmosphere."

"I heard the whole Christmas thing was a human invention," said Una.
 

Trust my daughter. I still need to reign her in at times. "Una! That is inappropriate when we are guests here!" 

Lennox and Lawrence both chuckled.
 

"I'm sorry," Una faltered.

"No, no," said Lennox. "You may be right, Una. And it's refreshing to know that there are some people around here who believe that humans exist. You're in the minority in this region. As for Christmas, it may have its origins within human myths, but it embodies our Sylvanian way. Family values. Thinking of one another. Doing things for each other, whether that be by providing thoughtful gifts for those near and far - or by kind deeds."
 

"And it's nice," said Lawrence.


"No arguments here," I said. "You probably know there are some here who think Mellowdene's Snow Queen is purely a fairy tale - but all appreciate the underlying meaning. Myth or not, it embodies our Sylvanian way, as you call it."


"I like to think it's real," said Una, "but you're right, dad. I know the Snow Queen isn't familiar to the rest of Sylvania, so I shouldn't judge stories about Santa Claus." She smiled at Lennox. "Why not tell us about your Grotto, Mister Murr-Grand? And about Santa."
 
"That's why you're here," Lennox said, moving towards a door at the back of the foyer area. "If you'd like to follow us..."
 

 
o 0 O 0 o

The guided tour was as pleasant as I'd hoped. There was an area where young children could see Santa - represented by Lennox (he showed us where he would sit when talking to the young children) - but we were also shown beyond. 
 

There was a workshop where Jolly and Elm Snowdrift were busy sorting out stocking-fillers. Egbert Highbranch was about to leave after delivering some toys he had made. He paused to greet us then went on his way.
 

The surprise was within the distribution centre where Christmas gifts were processed. In there we saw a group of young Sylvanians in fairy-like dress, assisting Tamara & Tomas Grimalkin and Lennox's step-children, Claudia and Caesar Murr-Grand.


"Who are these little cuties? I asked.



"Our Christmas elves," said Lawrence.
 

Una stared at the lion cub and his solemn face broke into laughter. His father smiled.


"Lawrence is teasing. They're our children," said Lennox. "Leona and I adopted them. They were entranced by the concept of Christmas and we agreed that we could provide them with a family. That's partly why we took so long to finish the grotto. We had to build a living area. We couldn't live permanently in Leonard's home. With Lawrence, me, Leona and her two - we were already taking up a lot of room. Adding seven more children forced our paws to move."

"But where did they come from?" I asked. 
 

"No one is sure. They turned up at one of the other grottoes and they couldn't explain how they got there. Sylvanian Children's Services were called but they were having difficulty finding somewhere where they could stay together - which was what the children wanted above anything else. We volunteered to take them, yet it took some discussion before SCS were completely happy."

"Is that because there is such a variety of young critters?"

"That was the main issue. Some thought that they should have a connection to their birth race, but that seemed at odds with them all staying together. My wife offered a solution." 


"That they can have two families," Lawrence added.

"In effect," acknowledged Lennox. "They would live with us all together as one family, but each would have a second family to whom they could go for advice on their critter-specific needs. Almost an aunt/uncle relationship. "

"It's almost sorted," said Lawrence. "Hey, let them say hello to you." Before anyone could respond he turned and called to the seven youngsters. "Elf roll call!"
 

They stopped any tasks they were doing and ran towards the young lion, laughing.



"I'm Marriott!" said the small elephant.

"His second family are the Bubblebrooks," said Lawrence.


"Pumpkin here," said the small raccoon, smiling widely.

"Mulberry," said Lawrence.


"Canberra," said the small koala, "and I'm an Outback."


"And I am Brooke," said the kitten.

"One of the Keats' families."


The young deer said, "Emmy," in a shy voice.

Lennox leaned towards her. "And mummy Leona is sorting out your second family, isn't she? Probably the Buckleys."

Emmy nodded.


"I might be a Wildwood," said the small brown rabbit, "and I'm called Hickory."


"And that just leaves our bouncy little mouse," said Lennox, referring to the seventh 'elf' who was hopping from leg to leg. "Leona's looking into that, too."


"I'm Clip," trilled the little mouse.

Una's eyes shone and I could almost read her mind.."Clip?" she said. "My little brother's called Clop."


"Fancy that," said Lennox with a straight face.
 

"Dad...," wheedled Una, "Clip and Clop? It would be a great example of Christmas spirit."
 


"We can't do anything without consulting your mother and the rest of the family," I said, trying to ease her excitement.


"I do hope that you don't think that's why we invited you here," said Lennox. "They love living with us and we don't want them to leave..."


"But you'd be happier having a family where Clip could visit and discuss mouse things if need be," said Una, addressing Lennox but pointedly looking at me.
 

"We'd all be one enormous extended elf family," said Lawrence.
 

"Well," I said, "it's something to think about."
 
 
o 0 O 0 o

It emerged that Lawrence's stepmother, Leona Murr-Grand, had already spoken with my wife Bridget about Clip and she had thought about it. Another family member, albeit part-time, seemed to her a welcome idea. Going by Una's reaction, the children would like it. Something to investigate, definitely. Of course, Clip would need to be happy with the arrangement and the way he smiled at Una hinted that wouldn't be a problem. 
 

Me? I wasn't against the idea; in fact, it was growing on me. I admit it would be nice for Clop to have someone nearer his own age to play with. It was also an intriguing idea - being part of Lennox Murr-Grand's extensive 'elf' family!
 
 
As I said: an unusual tale. Now. Have you an idea where these Christmas elves came from? I have a suspicion but... no, I won't say. Previous stories might offer an explanation. I'll leave you to ponder.

Darcy signing off.
 


o 0 O 0 o



    


 


6 comments:

  1. Hi Darcy!
    What a lovely Christmas story with such a heartwarming ending!

    I still remember reading about Santa´s grotto being under construction about this time last year. I'm glad to see the grotto is up and running . No wonder it took time to build it because it's looks large and spacious once you get inside.

    I like the picture of the distribution centre with all the little elves .(By the way great idea to introduce the Fairy Tale friends set in a story. It´s so cute!)

    Nice meeting Leona and her two kids. The picture of the extended family is great.
    Leona and Lennox are a very generous couple with a heart of gold.

    The last part of the story when Clip is hoping from to leg running towards your family was the icing on the cake.
    I´m sure Clip is going to love your family and you´ll get to love him too. He´s adorable.

    Mellowdene´s population is growing steadly! The Highbranch´s, the Snowdrifts in charge of the toy workshop and the delivery service... I wonder if they´re just going to make an appearance during the festive period or they´ll be regular residents of Mellowdene during the rest of the year.

    Thanks for this wonderful story! I really enjoyed it!

    Hope you and your family had a lovely time at Christmas! Send my best wishes to Jackson and her family.

    Take care and enjoy the rest of the holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cutata!

      Thank you for your comment! I admit that when I visited the Grotto I didn't expect that I would be presented with the opportunity to become an adopted uncle of a young fieldmouse. Now that I've had a short while to think about it, I'm completely with my family and we will be taking part in Lennox's plan.

      The Grotto itself is a remarkable achievement. One wouldn't know that most of the rooms are within a cavern. Clever lighting and heating makes one think that one is in a normal building. The atmosphere really brings Christmas cheer.

      I don't thing that the Snowdrift family work full time at the Grotto - but at this time of year they adjust their priorities to add to the Murr-Grand workforce.

      We had a pleasant Christmas as did Jackson and his family - I passed on your kind wishes.

      All the very best from us for the coming year. Take care!

      Delete
  2. Hi Darcy!

    I'm so behind on Mellowdene's tales! Please do send Jackson my regards, hope you don't think less of me in the village. Life in the human world has been busy! The villagers of Arcfield send their regards as well!

    I enjoyed reading this wonderful Christmas story! I agree that our Christmas values fit the Sylvanian world very well, and I'm glad you decided to incorporate them to your traditions.
    The Grotto is looking great! Loved seeing the Snowdrifts and Egbert Highbranch, toys do seem to be a vocation for them. I'm sure Mellowdene's children had a wonderful time there during the holidays.

    And what adorable little elves! I love the idea of them staying together with Lennox and Leona and then having secondary families in the village. I believe you have already warmed up to the idea of welcoming Clop into your family, and I'm glad for you all. Una is a very intelligent and warmed-hearted girl! She wanted him with you from the start.

    I hope you had a wonderful start of the year! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ayrell - and thank you for your advice that allowed me to solve my technical issue about replying to comments.

      I'm happy you enjoyed this tale. Yes, Lennox and his large family and work colleagues have really done well promoting Christmas. You are correct about Clop. Leona brought him around for tea and he and Clip really hit it off - we have agreed that this jolly little elf can have us as his second family.

      Una is intelligent - you're right. I wouldn't be surprised if she takes over from me one day at the newspaper. Once she has learned to channel her exuberance i will give her a little responsibility. I'm proud of her.

      The year has been good thus far. And we certainly don't think less of you because your life has had other priorities. I appreciate you taking the time to comment. I will let Jackson know.

      Stay safe and have a super 2024!

      Delete
  3. Hello Darcy!
    I'm a little late to the party, but this story was so heartwarming and very much in the Christmas spirit! It's clear that a lot of work was put into the Grotto and having it up and running, and how wonderful it looks! No detail was spared!
    The Elves are the sweetest little things. Each time one more came forward to introduce him/herself, I thought it might be my favourite - but it wasn't possible to pick a favourite. They are all so cute! It was very kind of Lennox and Leona to open their home and hearts to the little ones in need. I wonder where they did come from...? It poses a very interesting question.
    I think Clip would fit very well into your family! I look forward to any further updates on this!
    Best wishes from Bluebell Oaks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelsie!

      Thanks for you comment. The grotto was yet another cereal packet set but instead of designing/printing wallpaper I simply stuck torn & crumpled tissues on to the walls to get the snow/ice effect. A few Christmas decorations added the sparkle.

      The elves are sweet, I agree! I decided that I didn't simply want to split them up to live in separate families which, on paper, I did with the raincoat babies. The Christmas theme made the grotto an ideal place to introduce them and I decided their past might be like the Umberhounds - i.e. they were brought to Sylvania without any earlier memories. Lennox and Leona's fostering of them seemed a way to keep them together.

      I'm glad you enjoyed the story. Take care!

      Delete