Tuesday 14 February 2023

Valentine's Day

I wasn't going to put this on the blog, but Cecile insisted...


FADE IN (to the kitchen at Butterglove House)



"Flowers?" said Cecile.

"Uhuh," said Jackson.

"What's the occasion, my love? This Valentine's Day thing?"

"No. Well maybe. Partly. It made me think."

"What about?"

"Seeing all those perfect blooms when I passed the florist."

"Go on."

"That's just it. They were perfect. The perfect shape, size and colour. The scent wasn't overpowering; it was delicate, pleasant and reminded me of that glorious day we spent at that garden party..."

"Emma and Ken's anniversary?"

"Yes."

There was a pause whilst Jackson retrieved his train of thought. Cecile waited patiently.

"Well," said Jackson, "the point is that they were perfect. And then I realised I was wrong. They were only 'almost' perfect. They lacked one thing." 

"Okay," said Cecile, "I'll bite. What was wrong? What was that one thing they lacked?"

"They didn't belong to the perfect person, sweet wrinkle."

Cecile laughed. "Idiot."

Jackson's mouth twitched. "Maybe." He handed over the bouquet. "But now they truly are perfect."

Cecile smiled broadly. "Aw, that is corny... but lovely. I love you Jack."

"Well that's another perfect thing - as I love you too."
 
FADE OUT (to sound of the children's voices approaching.)


 

4 comments:

  1. Aww, Jackson is so sweet and romantic! What a perfect scene and dialogue for Valentine´s Day.
    The bouquet of roses looks great! I´m glad Cecile insisted on posting this short story on the blog. I really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! A "quickie" to write - scenes between these two tend to flow from the pen easier than some, and are always fun to do.

      Delete
  2. I just had to drop a comment and say this is simply adorable! These two are the sweetest! Thank you for sharing, I'm a softie for romance!

    ReplyDelete