Friday 27 January 2023

Another Taste of Honeydew

Mack Periwinkle wanted to discuss some music arrangements for the Bear Bangers and that prompted me to visit Alex Periwinkle's house. He and Mabel were staying temporarily with their son because they were having their bedroom decorated.


"Glad you could make it, Jackson," said Mack, "but I'm afraid we're not alone as I'd hoped."

"Oh?" I looked around but saw no one.


"He's in the bathroom," Mack explained, noting my movements. "Katherine's nephew, Button Honeydew. He was very interested when he heard you were coming. He shouldn't be long."

o 0 O 0 o

You may recall that I had briefly met Button at the Ghost Story reading last year. You may even recall that Cecile and her Cake Club friend Katherine Periwinkle had discussed the lad and information had filtered back to me. However, I'd never been the subject of Button's scrutiny. Clearly, this was to change.

"Hello Mister Butterglove," a jolly voice hailed, and I turned to see a smiling young rabbit.
 

"Hello, Button," I responded, wondering what the boy had in mind.

"Did you ask him, Uncle Mack?" asked Button, "Or did you want to leave it to me?"


Mack gestured towards me. "Feel free, Button."


The boy regarded me with his full attention.

"Figgy Ivory says he's learning about music from you. I asked him about it but he didn't really have an answer. So I wanted to ask you. What is music for?"
 

I blinked. I'd heard Button thought about things in a novel way, but one had to experience his direct and earnest approach to fully appreciate him.

"What is music FOR?" I repeated. "Do you mean you want to know it's purpose?"
 

He backed on to the settee as he responded. "Yes. Figgy didn't know."

"Well..." My mind whizzed. "It makes you feel good. Emotionally. Producing music is a creative task, like painting pictures, sculpting stone, writing stories..."
 

"Right..."  

"...and it communicates emotion. Like having happy tunes, sad tunes. Is that what you needed to know?"


"Hmm. Yes. I'll have to think about that. So let me ask you another."

I thought I was doing too well. What was his followup question? 


"Do big ears mean you enjoy music more?"

"Big ears?"

"Yes. Like rabbits and elephants have bigger ears than otters and beavers."


"Oh. I wouldn't have thought so."

"Are you sure? I wanted to know why we have bigger ears and thought music might be why. The Bunny Boys are musicians. You and Mister Snow-Warren write songs."


I glanced at Mack and he was trying to suppress a smile.

"Well, Button, I don't think anyone has looked into that. But Lionel Grand has smaller ears and he's the most talented pianist we know."

"Hmm. Yes. I'll have to think about that too."

"I'm glad I've helped."
 

"Hmm. Yes," Button repeated. He had a little crease between his eyes; he was thinking about something. Which prompted another question.

"You said that music makes you feel good. All music?"
 

I needed to handle this question carefully. "Button - you know people are different, don't you?"

"Yes?"


"So it follows they can have different tastes. The music that makes them feel good can vary from person to person."

"That makes sense I suppose. Although it complicates matters. Either way, I still don't understand why any music does that. Why does it?"
 


I didn't know how to answer that so decided to throw the question back.

"Wow, that's a good question. I'd like to know that too. Has any music ever made you feel good, Button?"

"I think so. But I thought you'd know why since you're teaching Figgy."


"I'm showing him some of the rules of music, and how to play the piano a little. It's more how one does things. Not why."


"Hmm. But there will be a reason. And with you being a teacher..."

I saw a way out. "Ah, but I'm not a qualified teacher. I'm simply helping Figgy by sharing skills I've learned."
 

"Oh. Do I need to ask a qualified teacher, then? Like Uncle Alex?"

"I suppose you could..."
 

Was it bad of me to shift the boy's attention to Alex Periwinkle? One could argue that. However, months ago, Cecile had informed me that - unchecked - Button Honeydew's questions could last for over an hour. 

"I'll do that."

He turned and made for the door, pausing only to throw a "thank you" over his shoulder.
 

And then Button was gone.

Mack finally exploded with laughter. "Oh, Jackson..."
 

I returned a weak smile. "Am I a bad person, Mack?"
 

"Let's put it this way," he chuckled, "As far as Button is concerned, I'm thinking of being a little bad in future." 
 

o 0 O 0 o



 



4 comments:

  1. Hi Jackson!
    Button and his questions! He´s such a character! He´s so funny!
    The question about the size of the ears was a good one! Ha,ha!
    Jackson´s answers were pretty good but I´m afraid not convincing enough for Button´s curious mind.
    Hope Alex Periwinkle has the right answers and loads of patience to put up with his nephew´s long list of questions.
    Thanks for making me smile with this story!
    Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for commenting, Cutata.

      Like Brendan, but in a different way, Button is fun to write about. One thinks of a question he might ask then try and think laterally, approaching the absurd. Then let the weird logic run and see where it takes you! I often don't know where it will lead when I start writing his dialogue - it probably says something about my brain!

      The odd thing is that I wasn't really planning when I Invented this bright little bunny who sees things differently. He makes me smile too!

      Take care!

      Delete
  2. Dear Jackson,
    I'm sorry it's taken me so long to catch up on your blog, but I'm enjoying reading the stories I've missed! This one in particular made me smile! Button seems like he is quite an intelligent boy - I hope he gets to outlet or channel all his curiosity in some way! And I have to say, what an adorable name! Button Honeydew! :)
    I hope you are well and had a good start to 2023!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you're well too, and 2023 will be a good year for you.

      Ah, Button. He's made a few appearances over the last year (Taste of Honeydew, Another Melting, Veri Peri & A Ghost Story) and I enjoy how his unconventional way of thinking can throw people into confusion. I gave him his name because of the big button on the back of his jumper, but the Mellowdene explanation is as below.

      He is called Button Honeydew, and his aunt is a Periwinkle by marriage. I estimate him to be a little younger than Brendan Butterglove, and his nature is what one might call mercurial. Not in the temperamental way; it's more that his mind jumps about. He can be intensively curious about something so that he is single-minded in trying to find things out, then he'll move onto something else. Fond of asking questions - and not always the predictable way!

      When he was born, he was excessively active, always wiggling about and trying to grab things. By accident his mother discovered that he'd calm down if he could hold onto the large button on her work clothes. That's how the baby Honeydew got his name. No one knows why he was so infatuated with a big button, but that's in the past. The only sign of this history is a button sewn onto the back of his jumper.

      Most Mellowdene parents have names decided before birth, retained afterwards, but in reality these are provisional for six months. During this time, if another name seems more appropriate then this can be substituted. I'm not sure what Button's original name was!

      Delete