Friday 1 January 2021

December Festivities

Three weeks away from Mellowdene and we'd had a wonderful time. Coltsfoot and Celandine Ivory had made us welcome at their home and with our strong friendship it was as if we'd never been apart.

I'd always got on with Colt. When he first came to Mellowdene, he gave Cecile some red faces by revealing things about her childhood that she'd purposely kept quiet. All done in fun, of course, and - when Cecile realised these little revelations only made me love her more - it brought us all closer together.


The mild rivalry between Beverley and Colt's daughter Anise was a thing of the past, and it was lovely seeing them whisper to each other, giggling like they were much younger little girls.

Brendan had grown a little since he'd last seen Chervil, so the nickname 'Squirt' no longer seemed appropriate. That didn't stop the good-natured banter between them.

Even our tinies seemed happy in each other's company. Maybe not as much incomprehensible jabbering as when Russell played with Nugget, but there were sufficient happy noises shared with Honeysuckle to demonstrate their contentment.

Despite all this, once our holiday reached its end, I was looking forward to going back home.


Once we left the temperate zone of the calm strip, it was clear winter was upon us. The journey was uneventful, and thanks to the internal car heating, we were protected from the colder temperature outside.

It was late afternoon when we arrived back in Mellowdene. Thankfully the village had escaped the snow. We turned off Dandelion Lane onto the track running down the side of Butterglove House - the one that led to The Field separating us from my cousins' house. 


Soon after leaving the car, it soon became clear that we had been seen.

Orton's voice rang out. "They're back!"

o 0 O 0 o


Reaching the side gate we looked through the high hedgerow to see Orton - who had been joined by Merlin and Eliza - standing outside Butterglove House. There we witnessed part of the winter preparations we had missed. Christmas lights. The December festivities had begun.


Orton waved wildly at us and Brendan responded in kind. As we walked to the welcoming committee everyone was smiling and it felt so good to greet each other.


We separated and I heard Orton address Merlin in a loud whisper. "Are you sure I can't tell them yet?"

Merlin smiled, patting the eager lad's head in affection. "Let them settle. There's no rush. We told you that you can break the news. I'll tell you when. For now, let's just help them with their luggage."


Catching Merlin's attention I mouthed, "What?", but he merely grinned, nodded towards Orton, then mouthed back, "Later."

o 0 O 0 o

 

My brother had prepared some finger food to satisfy any hunger we might have had from our journey. Comfortably full, we had put Russell to bed and were relaxing in their living room when we learned the news that Orton was bursting to tell us.


"Uncle Jack. You've been on TV!"

Cecile showed mild surprise. Brendan and Beverley looked at each other. I tilted my head and adopted a gentle tone of voice.


"I think I'd know if I'd been filmed, Orty."


"He means that you were being discussed, Jack."


Orton's head snapped around to look at Merlin. "Aw, Uncle. I'm telling."

Merlin laughed. "So you are. But tell them the full story."


"Sorry, Unky. I will." He turned back to me. "I was at Lucky's telly party last week. We were waiting for our programme and an interview came on with that famous singer Corbert Mulligan. You know the one? He was interested in being in your musical because you and Mister Chris did it."

Corbert Mulligan is famous. His rich tones make this bear probably the best-loved baritone singer in Sylvania. Orton wasn't quite right about it being "my musical" but I knew what he'd meant - Chris Snow-Warren and I had written the songs. What confused me was how Corbert had come to hear these songs. My involvement wasn't a public matter. Auditions don't start until next year.


Orton continued. "He said he'd liked the songs you did on Lionel Grand's record and was thinking of doing his version of one. After talking with Mister Grand he heard about the musical and went to see the... is producer the right word?"

I nodded. "Grant Foxworth. The producer is Grant Foxworth."

"Well, Corbert Mulligan really liked your songs and things moved on from there."

I scratched my ear. "Grant gave him a preview?"


Merlin spoke up. "Apparently. I suppose he couldn't pass on the potential of free publicity. Go on, Orton."

"Yes. Well, in the interview, both you and Mister Chris were mentioned a lot. They played a bit from Mister Grand's record and even mentioned your toothpaste jingle."


Brendan laughed. "You're famous, dad! Wish I'd seen it."

I mused.

"What's wrong, Jack?" said Cecile.


"I'm trying to imagine Corbert Mulligan singing my music."

"And?"

"If he goes for the role of Anton the Woodsman, I think I'll need to change the key of a couple of songs to better fit his voice range."

She rolled her eyes. "I don't know, Jack. What are you like? You hear something like this..."


Orton looked concerned. "Is it not good news, then?"

I looked at the earnest expression on the young rabbit who'd effectively become my nephew. I smiled.

"It is good news, Orton. Brilliant news."


 

o 0 O 0 o

The good news helped raise our spirits further so that Christmas and the December festivities were enjoyed even more than usual.

The truth is, we have plenty to celebrate from this year. 


Having been given the contract for the musical, we'd benefited more than financially. By raising our profile - even if Corbert didn't take a role - there was the potential for getting further work based on the publicity.


Because of our actions, the stability of Orton's home life was more certain. I could already see how Merlin and Eliza had relaxed since I saw them three weeks ago.

I had a closer understanding of my brother-in-law Rowan after my unusual subterranean adventures.


My nephew Figwort was at last opening up to his extended family. Maybe it's because it's a new experience for him - he rewards us with a big smile each time we meet. I don't know how long that will last, but for now... It warms my heart.


Beverley had learned a life lesson from a bad decision, and coming through the experience she'd had her painting displayed in the mayoral chambers.

The entire family had benefited by reconnecting with Cecile's cousin Coltsfoot and his family.

Yes. Plenty to celebrate. December festivities to enjoy. And afterwards? A new year of opportunities? Maybe. The continued love of our family and friends? Certainly.


o 0 O 0 o

 


6 comments:

  1. A very fitting New Years Day post, Jackson! Also congratulations to both the songwriters on attracting such a famous name to their musical - hope it all works out for them.
    I look forward to another year of adventures in Mellowdene!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks GreyRabbit!

      With Jackson's and Darcy's timelines becoming synchronised again and the tale being set towards the end of the year I thought it a good opportunity for reflection. And whilst I'm effectively bringing some storylines to an end (or at least a pause), I thought I should allow for potential new strands by mentioning Corbert & Grant. It may go nowhere, but who knows? Not me yet!

      Some new purchases may be influential too!

      Happy new year!

      Delete
  2. Hi Jackson!
    It´s great to start the New Year with good news!
    I´m glad to know the Buttergloves enjoyed their family trip and had a good time with their relatives. The first picture shows how they all get along.
    It´s also great news for Jackson and Chris´ that the best baritone singer of Sylvanian is so interested in taking part in their musical.They must feel very proud of their songs.
    I like the short comments you wrote about some of the things that happened to the Buttergloves and their relatives during last year.
    Everything worked out well at the end and that´s what matters.I really enjoyed reading this last part, it gives a very positive feeling, if you know what I mean. Sometimes, I can´t find the right words in English to convey what I want to say. I wish I could express myself in my own language but I hope you understand what I mean.

    As for your pictures, I love the snowy road. It looks very realistic. I also love the festive Christmas lights on the wall! Great photoshop effect as always. Lovely to see the portrait Beverly painted of mayor Ramsey in the mayoral chambers.

    Hope the Buttergloves and their family had a wonderful Christmas. They had indeed lots of good things and reasons to celebrate.

    Have a wonderful year!
    Take care and stay safe!





    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comments, Cutata. I'm pleased you like this story. I wasn't sure what pictures I could do for the last reflective scene, and when I chose to simply have the relevant characters pose as if for a photo session (candy wrappers to give a slightly more festive party look) it seemed right. I had to do a proper scene for Beverley though, properly concluding the Work of Artifice stories.

      You need have no concerns about your use of English. You express yourself perfectly clearly. When I first discovered your lovely blog in 2018, the realisation that you were creating such wonderful content which for you is in a foreign language - it bowled me over and made me appreciate your work even more. I don't have a second language, so I couldn't do what you do. Your contributions to the Sylvanian community are truly appreciated. Never doubt yourself.

      Having bought a few more (yes, more) Buttergloves (waiting for their arrival in the post), the extended family will grow further! It is likely to be the Cornflower family (Nugget's aunts and uncles) so I'm already thinking how they might figure in a story!

      Have a splendid 2021, and keep safe!

      Delete
  3. Hello Jackson!

    What a great story to end the year! On a very positive note, too! I enjoyed reading about the Buttergloves' visit to their relatives, and was happy for them regarding the great news about the musical at their return. Orton was so excited to tell, haha! It was very endearing.

    It was a wonderful idea to recap the main events of this year's storylines at the end! Looking forward to knowing what's next for Mellowdene and all its inhabitants. :)

    Have a wonderful week-end! Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ayrell!

      I'm delighted you enjoyed this story. I've no major plot lines planned as yet for the new year; one or two minor ideas for scenes but not much else. It will be interesting for me to see where things lead too!

      Keep well and have a great week.

      Delete