Sunday 31 January 2021

Celebrating Grandparents

When I discovered the subject of Beverley's project for Mellowdene Day it almost brought a tear to my eye. She'd chosen her grandparents as the subject of her gratitude. It was particularly poignant because she'd never had the chance to meet them. Both my parents and those of Cecile had passed long before my daughter had been born. Nevertheless, she'd put in work to research aspects of their lives and celebrate them, bringing their memory to life.
 

She'd obviously spent time in the Hansel Museum to get a feel for my father's work regarding local history, and spoken to Merlin (and I suspect, Newton) to learn more about our parents. The reference to Cecile's parents suggested she'd spoken to Rowan too. She'd done this without our knowledge so her project was a heartwarming surprise for us.
 
Hansel & Dorothea Butterglove dance whilst
the young Merlin, Jackson and Newton watch

The image of my dad dancing with my mum after a long past Melting Festival, years before she became an invalid, was a welcome memory - one I had almost forgotten. Hansel and Dorothea Butterglove had been a vivacious couple, and it was easy to overlook those earlier days. I was grateful to be reminded.
 
Frederick Ivory wields a chisel

The mention of Cecile's father and how he would be engrossed in his hobby, crafting furniture for his friends, caused me to glance at our coral sofa with a sad but humorous grin.

I was proud of my daughter - not for the first time - but noted that she'd expressed no hint of regret that she or Brendan had missed out. This was evident as she'd stated that they did have living grandparents of sorts. In a way, she was correct. 

o 0 O 0 o

You will recall how we share our house with my brother Merlin and his lovely wife Eliza. I've stated before how Eliza is virtually a second mother to my children and Eliza's parents are most definitely alive. And healthy. Through Eliza, Cornelius and Letitia Dandelion treat Beverley, Brendan and Russell as much as their grandchildren as they do for their son Denzel's five kiddies.
 
Cornelius & Letitia Dandelion visit Denzel and his family

They're not forever on our doorstep because they are keen travellers. I don't know how many holidays they have a year but they treat all of Sylvania like it was their little piece of the village.
 
Cornelius & Letitia bring presents for our children

Sometimes they'll bring a present back for the children - but they're sensible enough to make sure it's not a habit. What they do bring every time is a deep affection. When Orton joined our family, their joy and love almost overwhelmed the little chap. Now, I think it's fair to say he's getting used to them and secretly likes the attention.
 
Eliza and Merlin watch Cornelius & Letitia
continue to take Orton to their hearts


Beverley's celebration of her grandparents was well considered, and the fact she's recorded her gratitude in her schoolwork shows me once again that family remains close to her heart.

How could I ask for anything more?
 

o 0 O 0 o






6 comments:

  1. Well done Beverley on her heartwarming and well-researched assignment. I am glad she and the others have the benefit of Eliza's sweet parents as "surrogate" grandparents! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! With Eliza being childless, her parents recognised the love she showed Beverley, Brendan and Russell, so they were more than happy to treat them as much their descendants as Denzel's daughter and subsequent quads. Orton was an unexpected delight for them, seeing Eliza's (and Merlin's) love for the little guy.

      Beverley appreciated this, and knew her research into Jackson & Cecile's past would additionally please her parents.

      Delete
  2. Hello Jackson!

    This was a wonderful, sweet story, and I really enjoyed it. It was great to meet Jackson and Cecile's parents through Beverley's assignment (lovely pictures!), and I found the sentiment that they're still there in a way really heartwarming. I also loved reading about Eliza's parents! They sound like a lovely, adventurous couple.

    Thank you for another great story!
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ayrell!

      I enjoyed bringing back Jackson and Cecile's parents thanks to Beverley's project. An opportunity for poignant memories. Introducing the elder Dandelions had to be a contrast, and the idea of an active couple going on continual holidays seemed to fit the brief. It was also nice to expand knowledge of Eliza's family.

      I'm pleased you enjoyed it.
      Take care.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jackson,
    What a sweet and nostalgic story!
    I have a soft spot for sylvanian grandparents and I found your pictures and story very heartwarming.
    Beverly´s project about her parents, even though she had never met them, shows she is a sensitive girl with strong feelings for her family.

    Enjoy the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cutata.

      Bringing the new (virtual) characters of Eliza's parents gives me an opportunity for future family grandparent stories without having to resort to flashbacks. I'm happy you enjoyed this brief meeting - thanks to Beverley.

      Take care!

      Delete