Thursday 28 March 2024

Welcoming Spring

Many of my recent blog writing has dealt with the Treefellow owls and the attempt to reach the forest community of Chunglewood. This might give the impression that I am fully occupied, especially when combined with family life and my writing for Darcy. You might even be wondering, "when does Jackson do his proper job?" 

Well, I do that too. I've not spoken about it recently but now would seem to be a convenient time to give you an update.


As a consequence of writing the songs for the "Sylvan River" musical, the famous baritone Corbet Mulligan approached us. He wanted to record a new album and liked the idea of some original songs written to suit his voice. My songwriting partner Chris Snow-Warren became his primary contact and we ended up contributing six songs. We enjoyed this. Whilst, on the face of it, Corbet doesn't give the impression of being overly approachable, this couldn't be further from the truth. As we worked together, his demeanour proved to be due to an unexpected shyness, and as he warmed to us our working relationship became warm and friendly. 


Whilst not as popular as Lionel Grand's records, Corbet's album sold reasonably well and the publicity widened his appeal beyond his main fan base. The revenue wasn't bad either.


Corbet was so pleased he came back to us and asked us to write all of the songs for a followup album. To give it greater cohesion he thought the songs should be written to a common theme. That resulted in a number of discussions; Chris again took the lead as the lyrics would play the greater part in illustrating the chosen theme.
 

The agreed concept was to be "The Year". Each song would represent key points in a year, covering special days in the calendar, the progress of the seasons, and the effect on a fictional but representative character living through that year. It would start with the optimism of a new year and probably end with something festive for Christmas.

So. How's it going? I'll let you decide. Here is a draft version of the lyrics Chris has penned for a new song "Welcoming Spring". Appropriate given the time of year.


CHORUS 
I feel it's time to welcome spring;
It lifts my spirit, makes me sing
to celebrate the warmth I have inside - with pride
I welcome this Sylvanian spring 
and knowing what these months will bring -
new growth and joy throughout the countryside.
 

The snowdrop nods its bell-like head,
a signal of the time ahead.
The crocus follow, lilac, purple, gold.
The primulas in all their hues,
so many that its hard to choose;
each one of them a wonder to behold. 

CHORUS 
 

The small narcissi give me thrills 
as do the larger daffodils;
their sunny faces brighten up my day.
And then unfurling wide leaves show
Where multicoloured tulips grow
And spring confirms it's well upon its way.

CHORUS 

Emerging from thick clumps of green  
Thin stems raise up and soon are seen
the bluebells ringing tones of deepest blue
And up above forsythia,   
laburnum and bright kerria 
exploding each in blooms of yellow hue.

CHORUS repeat
 

The lyrics might change slightly as I work on a melody for this but I don't foresee any major alterations. In any case Chris is very accommodating. It's always an honour working with him. 


One thing is becoming clear. As our songs are becoming more in demand we will reach the point where the artistic and business aspects of our work will fight for our time. Do we need an agent or some such individual to assist us when necessary? We have Bernard Sellars at the TESE Advertising Agency who handled our Rodentine toothpaste jingle work but we didn't think this was his arena. 

We mentioned this to Lionel Grand. After all, he is already much in demand and must have someone handling his bookings and studio recordings. He suggested having a word with his partner Rory Redmayne who also fulfils that role. With Lionel spending more time relaxing in his Mellowdene home, Rory will also start living here part-time. We could meet him then. It's certainly a thought.
 

I enjoy creating new melodies and crafting harmonies and the feeling of well-being that occurs as a by-product. In itself that's a good reason I won't allow my work to suffer. Even for owl-driven projects!

o 0 O 0 o









6 comments:

  1. Hi Jackson!

    It was nice to see you sitting at the piano again and devoting time to your job.

    I'm sure Corbet´s new album will be a success. I like the idea that each song represents key points in a year.

    Chris did an excellent job writing the lyrics for the spring song.He is undoubtedly a good songwriter. I'm sure it will be a beautiful song accompanied by your melody. I´d love to listen to it.

    I hope Rory will value Chris´and your work and gladly accept to become your agent.He won´t regret it.

    Once again your photos are amazing! I really like the picture of the interior of the house (did you edit that photo or did you take it in your own home?) as well as those of the gardens. Lovely spring scenes to illustrate the lyrics of the song!

    Thanks for this update about your job. It is great that you have a job that really makes you happy and you enjoy doing .

    Take care, my friend!
    Have a lovely Easter Day!












    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cutata!

      Thank you for your thoughts on this story. With Jackson's attention seemingly dedicated to the "Finding a Way" narrative I became aware that my stories had neglected one aspect of his life - his songwriting career. I wanted a short piece of work to address this -'and a poem about springtime fit the forum creative challenge. Showing Corbert in person and introducing Rory helped me expand this, as did showing young Figwort - still very interested in his uncle's approach to music.

      The garden pictures are assembled from old pictures of my garden but the background to the picture where Corbert & Chris are shaking hands is one I found elsewhere. I wanted somewhere that represented Corbert's home/business.

      I've not thought about a melody for the lyrics but I wrote them adopting a rhythm that would help me should I choose to.

      I hope your Easter was enjoyable, my friend!

      Delete
  2. Hi Jackson
    This was an enjoyable read on several fronts: Your (or Chris Snow-Warren's!) poem is indeed a very fitting tribute to the season, and a worthy entry for the March challenge theme. I also really like your opening photo here - a great angle, showing off the innards of the beautiful grand piano.
    Finally, it is great to meet Mr Redmayne. I cannot tell you how much I LOVE his name! My second lion is called Leonardo ("Leo" for short), but "Rory" is just brillant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello GreyRabbit and thank you!

      It's nice to include a poem now and then. The mechanics of adhering to rhythm and rhyme whilst conveying meaning is an enjoyable challenge and it's been a while since I did this for my Sylvanian chums. It makes a change from nautical lyrics or political/cultural parodies which tend to account for most of my poetical meanderings.

      Rory Redmayne. Yes! A play on words (I enjoy a good pun and this ticked all the boxes) but it seemed to suit Lionel's companion and I've been waiting to introduce him. Also, having received that fancy suit as part of a bundle, it seemed ideal for a certain baritone whose name has popped up periodically. Showing him properly was another fun aspect for me to include in the story.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jackson!
    Good to hear that you're still in the songwriting business. Chris and Jackson make a great team.
    The lyrics of the upcoming 'Welcoming Spring' are lovely. I think the year theme is a great idea for an album. I'm sure it will be a great success.
    What you said about Corbet's character reminded me of Mr Darcy of Pride & Prejudice: a cold exterior hiding a shy and kind character.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there!

      I'd been neglecting this aspect of Jackson's life when it came to writing this blog. Music is important to him and working with Chris is his ideal job. I needed to say how this has been ongoing as normal, just not mentioned. It's always nice to show Chris. I owned him and made his clothes long before I bought the intriguing little rabbit on eBay and eventually named him Jackson.

      In previous stories I'd only mentioned Corbet in passing (unlike Lionel) and somehow that transferred to me considering him a reserved bear. A classical singer, he was a little tentative making the foray into more popular music. Jackson & Chris have taken that uncertainty away. The success of his last album must have helped!

      I don't know if Corbet will ever have an active role in a story. I guess we'll see...

      Bye for now.

      Delete