Sunday 26 November 2023

Finding a Way (1) - Three Little Owls

I was mooching around the garden, prolonging my enjoyment of the air having returned from a morning walk, when I heard a cough behind me. 
 
 
 
Turning to identify the source I saw three familiar little figures - Winky, Blinky and Grumpy Treefellow.


I instantly flashed back to my previous encounter with this trio of owls and the subsequent meeting with their father. It had been an imposing encounter and it had led to me getting invaluable advice from my brother Newton. That advice essentially boiled down to "treat them as an equal".

This memory was in my mind when the young owls spoke.

 
"Father needs to speak with you again at our home," said Winky.

"He says it's important," said Blinky.

"So when are you coming?" said Grumpy.

I didn't speak at once. I stared at each of them in turn and then I responded.
 

"How important?"


"Well... father said 'important'," said Winky, clearly disconcerted my my question.

"Very important," said Blinky. 

"We wouldn't be here otherwise," said Grumpy.


"Hmm, I see that," I said, "but it's obviously not important enough for your father to come here."


"Oh," said Winky.

"Grumpy?" said Blinky, facing his brother. "What will father say?"  

Grumpy swallowed. "I don't know, Blinky."


"You could ask him," I said. "You're clever little chaps. Think what you might learn."


"Yes," said Winky.

"That may be true," said Blinky.

"Thank you, Mister Butterglove," mumbled Grumpy. 


I almost felt sorry for them as they wandered back out of the gate. Almost, as it was mitigated by a sense of empowerment, albeit tempered with uncertainty. 


At least I wasn't feeling that sense of inferiority that I had from our previous encounter. 

I went inside to tell Cecile what had happened, wondering what the consequences might be. And when.  

o 0 O 0 o

(To be continued)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jackson!
    What an intriguing story! Those little owls are adorable.
    It feels like forever since I last visited your blog. I was really glad to see you are still posting stories even after all this time. I do wonder what could be so important that Mr. Treefellow needed to meet with you so urgently to discuss... hm...
    Looking forward to part two!
    Have a great week!
    Emilie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emilie! Good to hear from you.

      The little owl brothers are a touch intense, being so directed in their purpose. I think they were thrown by Jackson's response especially as he seemed so compliant to their previous summoning. I wonder what they'll say to their father?

      Take care!

      Delete