Thursday 27 April 2023

Brotherly Advice (1 of 3)

It's a rare occurrence for me, but sometimes an unwelcome thought won't go away. I'm speaking of the throwaway comment by Aristotle Treefellow - "I could undoubtedly make use of your skill" - undoubtedly related to my manipulation of the crystal locks in my underground adventure (see Routes of Sylvania). I didn't want to go down there again. Couple this with the potential call on my time for the forthcoming Melting Festival, and I needed a way to relax to prepare myself. (You may be puzzled why there was trepidation concerning the Melting work, but I will get to that.) Thank goodness for my brother and a little routine.

Merlin and I were out on one of our regular jaunts, ending up at the East Dock Road snackbar we tend to frequent. None of the Seadog brothers were there but the good news was that Heston Doughty was in the kitchen instead of Fenton Barker, giving us unexpected variety in our food. His special herby nutburgers were on the menu. They would help me to relax! 
 

 
I was grateful to Darcy when he volunteered to write the recent blog entry. He obviously remembered last year's Melting preparations; I didn't write about it at the time but I was heavily involved. Before I mention this year, some disclosure might clarify last year's tasks.

There was still a lingering excitement about certain Mellowdene residents "being famous" - as some said. With the publicity and success of The Sylvan River musical, Chris and I had been thrust into the limelight, and certain people - Mayor Ramsey Nettlefield for one - were eager for our music to feature heavily in the Melting Festival. He does tend to be optimistic with his big ideas. 
 

Of course, it would have been an honour but there were difficulties whichever way one looked at it. Mellowdene doesn't have an orchestra and without one, one has to arrange the score for whatever musicians are available - and that's before one finds singers to do the job. It looked beyond our home-grown talent, especially in the time available. 

It was a relief when Lionel Grand volunteered his services and persuaded Roxy Renard to help. Working alongside these two talented musicians was a wonderful experience. We took a few of the most popular songs from the musical - not all, allowing Lionel to include some songs from his repertoire - and with his skill in my arsenal, arranging the score purely for piano was easier than it could have been. The choice of songs excluded the baritone solos, but with some key changes and minor lyrical tweaks from Chris, Roxy was able to manage the tenor parts in addition to those that fit her range and gender. 
 

My work was done when it came to the performance so I was able to relax with Cecile and the children.

So - what about this year? The musical is still popular, regularly running from a smaller theatre in Calico New City, and there are a couple of touring companies performing a stripped down version. Twelve months on, the excitement has died down here in Mellowdene. Chris and I are no longer treated like minor celebrities by some villagers - which suits us! Nevertheless, I expected to be approached to provide some assistance for this year's festival.

Merlin is a tolerant soundboard and had good advice as usual. I offloaded my concerns.  
 

"Jack - it's great that you're so helpful, but you mustn't let people take advantage of you. You had a lot to do last year. I wasn't the only one to notice it. I can tell you now that I was having an informal chat with Ramsey after the performance. He was excited how well Lionel and Roxy had interpreted your work, and I told him."

I stared at him. "What did you say?"


"I merely agreed that the concert was excellent, that you had spent almost two week's worth of full-time work doing arrangements and setting things up for the performers. I added, 'at least he won't be called upon to work so hard next year, eh, Ramsey?' and watched his face. He was silent for a few moments. I hope I did right."

"Still the big brother," I smiled. "What did he say to that?"
 

"After a bit, he nodded and said how last year had been special. He agreed that you'd gone beyond the amount of work anyone could expect. 'Caprina says that I can get carried away,' he said, 'and she's probably right. Well you don't need to worry, Merlin. I intend to scale back after this year's extravaganza, and I'll seriously think about spreading the load.'"

"It might explain why he's been quieter recently, Ramsey has normally approached me by now."

"Well, maybe that's a good sign. Nevertheless, he should have told you if your services won't be required."
 

At that point, a voice rang out. "Ah! Mr Butterglove, I've found you!"

We turned to see a somewhat flushed Alessandro Lopez. I pointed to myself and he nodded. 


Alessandro Lopez was a relatively new teacher at Mellowdene School. The recent reorganisation of the education system had included the engagement of additional teachers and Mr Lopez was one of these. During one of my weekly slots providing piano lessons for my nephew Figwort Ivory, he had mentioned Mr Lopez and a new music class over which he presides.

"Mr Lopez," I said in greeting.

"Please call me Sandro," he said, indicating a seat. I waved that he should sit.


"How can I help, Sandro?"

"I've called at your house but your wife told me you might be here. I've come mainly to apologise to you."

"Whatever for?"


"It's regarding the music for Melting," he said, and I exchanged glances with my brother. "I know you've been called upon in recent years, but Mayor Nettlefield had said you deserved a break and suggested that the school might be involved, which meant I would need to organise my students.  I've been busy the last few weeks."


"I'm not sure why that warrants an apology, Sandro."

"The thing is, both the mayor and I thought that each other would have been in contact with you to inform you of these plans. I only found out this morning that you were in the dark."


Merlin laughed. "We were just talking about that. Ramsey Nettlefield's delegation skills can be amorphous at times."

Sandro smiled uncertainly. "Then you don't mind?"

 
I shook my head. "Frankly, it's a weight off my mind. It will be refreshing to be an observer this year. What do you have planned?"

"That's generous, Mr Butterglove..."


"That's Jackson. Saves confusion. I know my brother prefers to be called Merlin too."

"Right. Well, Jackson, the classes are relatively new and few children can play instruments - although I'm aware Figwort Ivory is learning the piano, thanks to you - so I am concentrating on their singing for now. I hope to form a proper choir at some point, but my current objective is to get as many children involved as possible."

"You'll have your work cut out."
 

"As I'm learning. I should manage, but if you have any ideas I'd be grateful."
 

As Heston Doughty appeared with our nutburgers, Sandro stood. "I'll leave you to your meals. Thank you for understanding."


We acknowledged him, and the chihuahua teacher left the snack bar.


Merlin looked at me. "Problem solved. There's just the other issue."

"Aristotle Treefellow."
 

"Right. An imposing bird. It seems to me that the best way of dealing with the Professor is to find someone who knows more about him. How best to handle him."


"You're thinking of Newton?"

"Of course. Aristotle tutored Newton for some years. If anyone can help..."
 

He was right, of course. I'd go and visit my twin. But first, nutburgers.

o 0 O 0 o



  
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Interesting story, Jackson! It was nice to get acquainted with Sandro Lopez and hear that the music at the Melting can be a weight off Jackson's shoulders. I also love the photos of Heston carrying those plates, like a proper waiter! How much maneuvering and balancing did that take?! ;)
    Also - nutburgers - I love it! It brings the conundrum of having 'meat' in Sylvania to mind. What's your take on it? I've always had issue with it ever since I became aware that there was such things like the 'Hamburger' Wagon or Restuarant, especially considering there is a pig family! Slightly disturbing...
    I'm vegetarian myself so it always seemed natural my Sylvanians would be too. But then there's also the similar problem of the milk and eggs and where they come from... Have never been able to wrap my head around that! Haha!
    Hope you are having a lovely month of May!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kelsie! Heston used a bit of White-Tak to hold the plates, so the only bit of balancing was to him so that he didn't topple forward!

      Nutburgers - yes. Although I'm not a vegetarian, I don't tend to have my villagers eating meat other than fish meat. There are milk alternatives I know (e.g. almond), but I cheated having my Buttercup cattle family's dairy business harvesting liquid from fictional lactolia bushes! As for eggs, Timbertop Farm does have chickens.

      I do have the Hamburger wagon - operated by the Doughty family, including Heston. I bought a shell of the Hamburger Restaurant but converted it into Pickleweed's Pizza Emporium.

      May isn't too bad here. Not hot yet, but I've managed a few short sessions in the garden. I'm slowly gearing up after a long period of horticultural inactivity! Have a great month!

      Delete