Saturday 18 March 2023

The Year of the Rabbit (Part One)

Arriving home after my meeting with Aristotle Treefellow, I went to change clothes and then did my usual thing when I need to set down the thoughts that will contribute to this blog. Memory pointers really, and it rarely takes long. This time it set me wondering - not about the Professor's remarks about possibly using me, as you might think. No, it was about him saying how his ancestors had guided our founders to Sweetwater Lake leading to the establishment of Mellowdene. I decided that I should tell Merlin.

If you've been reading this blog a while, you may recall that my father Hansel was interested in local history, almost to the point of obsession. Merlin - as head librarian and founder of the Hansel Museum - has taken up the mantle of our father and is quite knowledgeable about Mellowdene's past. Aristotle's remarks would certainly interest him. Like me, he'd probably make the association with certain school lessons, namely the quotation "...and it was as if the birds of the skies marked our path through the foothills".

I knew Merlin would be relaxing in his living room so I went to see him. He was not alone - I heard chuckling from Orton as I approached, and when I looked around the door I saw Amos Seadog illustrating some tale with broad arm movements.
 

"...and so it wasn't a merhound after all."

Smiling, Merlin shook his head. "I don't know, Amos. You reel me in every time with your tall tales."
 

"You're funny, Uncle Amos," said Orton, "isn't he, Pappa?"

It warmed my heart to see the exchange. Allow me to explain.

o 0 O 0 o


Merlin and Eliza had agonised whether or not to tell Orton that his "mamma and dadda" were alive but had chosen to officially leave their son in their care. Eventually they decided that it was wrong to deny Orton the information - he did have a mature outlook, after all - and had gently broached the subject.
 

The boy had listened carefully, asked minimal questions - all relevant - then had lapsed into silence for a few minutes to consider. Apparently, this response was typical Orton. He raised his head and smiled.


"Then that's all sorted for the best. Mamma and Dadda are well and doing what they must for the wild animals of Sylvania. That's as it should be. They know I'm safe and loved. I'm lucky. I have two sets of parents."
 

Of course, Eliza started bawling with joy, and there were some tears in Merlin's eyes. Lots of hugs followed, and once Orton had extricated himself from the loving arms he made a declaration.
 

"I don't think I should call you Auntie Eliza and Uncle Merlin anymore. It would be confusing to call you Mamma and Dadda too. It must be something different. How about Mummy Eliza and Pappa Merlin?"


This soon became abbreviated to Mummle and Pappamerle, occasionally dropping the "merle" suffix.

I was incredibly touched when Merlin told me. Even now I get a tear in my eye when I think about it! But back to my story. 
 

o 0 O 0 o

Merlin had seen me at the door. Amos turned to follow his gaze.
 

"Jackie boy!" he declared. Like Horatio and his other brothers, the phrase had stuck, despite them not being that much older than me. "What's new?"


I decided to limit what to say in the presence of Orton and Amos. "Not much. I'm just back from visiting Aristotle Treefellow."

"Ooh," said Orton, "he taught Uncle Newton, didn't he? Is he very clever?"
 

"I suppose he is. He was telling me about the early days, before Mellowdene. That's why I popped in here, Merle. Something he said."

Amos nudged Orton. "He must be an ancient owl, eh, Orton?"
 

Orton chuckled again.

Merlin smiled at his foster son and then returned his attention to me. "You've piqued my interest, Jack. What did the Prof say?"

I told him about Aristotle's ancestors and their part in guiding the founders, and then mentioned my suspicion about our school days. Yet Merlin shook his head.
 

"It is interesting, but you're misremembering that last bit about school. That quotation was never in the school syllabus. It was something in one of Dad's books. He will have read it to us."

"Oh. I guess that's possible."


"The history taught by the school skirts over the discovery of Sweetwater Lake, concentrating more upon the four families' decision to use overspill of the Lake, diverting it away from the river and towards the underground spring system that permeates the county. As you know, that was the key to Mellowdene's foundation."


"So Dad had books about the time before then."

"A few. One in particular was based upon assorted journals compiled by Gideon Brighteyes. It covered the search for a new home by the four families, ending with the discovery of Sweetwater Lake but starting from the community they left. It took quite a few months. A good year, actually."
 

"Isn't it odd that they don't teach this?" said Orton.


"Perhaps it's being deliberately withheld!" said Amos, winking.


Merlin shook his head. "There are copies of the book in the library, and some of the original handwritten documents sealed in the museum. If anyone's interested, the books can be borrowed by anyone seeking to extend their knowledge of our history. I think it's more a decision by the school to concentrate on Mellowdene rather than what went before."

Amos shrugged. "My idea was more exciting."


We laughed. I thought back to Aristotle Treefellow again, wondering if there were any clues in the book to confirm whether owls were present.


"What is the book called, Merle?"

"The Year of the Rabbit."
 

o 0 O 0 o

(To be continued)


No comments:

Post a Comment