Saturday 22 October 2022

Autumn in Sylvania

Given the time of year in Mellowdene, I'd like to share a poem by my friend and workmate Chris Snow-Warren. 

Autumn in Sylvania 

When Summer's eyes grow heavy and the season starts to doze,
when woodlands in Sylvania see Billy Sun work less,
then many leaves decide its time for them to change their clothes
and critters watch the fashion show and (wow) does it impress!
 

The russets, dark and richly red - the elegance of Fall -
that Adrianne (the Hopkins mom) loves 'til the leaves are shed, 
she brings a bottle there to toast the beauty of them all,     
foregoes the Champagne in her name and has a glass of red.


"The leaves are orange like my burger bun," young Aiden claimed.
"That's true," said David Doughty, "or the hairs upon my head,"
"And what about my dress?" Rhianna Dappledawn exclaimed.
"The tree's a Maple; I am too. Related!" Jasper said.
 
Accreditation: Background trees taken from an image by Andrey

So it went on as critters claimed their kinship with the trees,
declaring Autumn's colours as the best that they had seen.
They sadly knew the leaves would go; "it only takes a breeze."
One grey bear smiled. "Not all," he said. One Forest Evergreen.   

o 0 O 0 o


4 comments:

  1. This is beautiful, Jackson! Something about the last verse just warms my heart! I hope you are enjoying lovely autumn in your part of the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kelsie! I'm delighted you enjoyed the poem.

      The tree in the first picture is from my own garden, and I was lucky to have a sunny day to take the photograph, allowing the leaves to be shown in their splendour. Far better than the dull rainy days we're currently experiencing. It makes me glad I was able to capture some of the season's beauty when I could!

      I hope all is well in Bluebell Oaks. Take care.

      Delete
  2. I very much enjoyed this poem Jackson, and the photos compliment it nicely. Good luck in the contest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, GreyRabbit! I wish you good luck too with your fortune telling bunny.

      I like to write poems occasionally. Recently, it has been political ranting rhymes - well sort of (and it's cathartic) - so I found it refreshing to wallow in the joy of Sylvania. It helped to mention some different families too.

      Delete