Thursday 18 August 2022

Morning Activities

Over the last few months I've had growing doubts about my writing. I think it was since I realised that my readers are humans. Was I making too many assumptions about our Sylvanian way of life? Were there things here so different that they were incomprehensible to my readership?

Darcy had shrugged and said that the viewing statistics suggested otherwise, but I wasn't reassured. That duty fell to Tara Lapine-Frost. Whilst she'd been staying with Nigel Snow-Warren to recuperate from her leg injury, she'd periodically been wheeled in her chair to our house where our chats were extensive and varied. She's nearly healed now, using a cane in these last stages, but something she said makes me think she'd like our social contact to continue.


"I like talking to you, Jackson. Trying to explain things to you - many of which I took for granted - is letting me appreciate them from a different angle. The added clarity is quite refreshing and I sometimes gain extra insight. Apart from that, there's really only you and Cecile that I can talk to about my... job. And before you say anything, I will include Nigel when I can find the right words."
 
As well as being very capable, Tara has gained valuable knowledge about aspects of human life and she's sharing some of that with me. She was trained by the Mist Cats before she ever ventured into the human realm, and even they are impressed by what she has learned since. For her to be alone to do her scientific foraging they must have confidence in her. The more she tells me, the less concerned I become about the content of my writing. 
 
 
o 0 O 0 o 

I understand the reaction to mornings in the human world are as varied as they are here. In winter, when nights are long and dawn is at its latest, many Sylvanians prefer to snuggle down in their beds until the sun peeps over the horizon. Sometimes even I'm tempted. Generally speaking, our sense of responsibility gets us moving. Well - most of the time!

Summer is different. A few of us argue it is responsible to ensure we have our full quota of sleep, but the early risers are in the majority - eager to enjoy the daylight hours we are given. Even my children.

Beverley likes to visit the Water Mill Bakery bright and early. Even on schooldays she has taken it upon herself to visit the bakery and bring back freshly made pastries to contribute to our breakfast. She says she likes chatting to the other early risers.




Brendan likes to meet up with his chum Lucky Snow-Warren and walk around the village green, making up stories and games that they will be able to enact later on. Sometimes they meet Ernest Evergreen on his traditional early morning treks. Ernest is grandfather to the Evergreen grey bear family. He says his wife - Primrose - likes him out from under her feet whilst she prepares for the day ahead, so that works out quite well. Brendan and Lucky enjoy meeting him because he is full of stories about his early life, and he has a humorous turn of phrase.
 

I like to get my household chores out of the way, and sometimes Cecile and I work side by side to free up time for the rest of the day. We like doing this, although sometimes we will break off for cuddles time! 
 
 


Once we've done the necessary jobs (and sometimes a bit more) we can move on. Cecile can concentrate on her hobbies, cake work and meeting her friends. I can resume my songwriting and music practice - but that extends to seeking inspiration wherever that may be in Mellowdene. Many times, my work partner and pal Chris Snow-Warren is part of this. 

Of course, we share Butterglove House with my elder brother and his family. Merlin and I like to spend time together but mornings isn't the best time for that - he will be spending quality time with Eliza and Orton before he goes to work at the library.

Our youngest - Russell - attends nursery, and on the relevant days he'll be taken there by either Cecile, Eliza or me.
 


You might think none of this is particularly exciting. It isn't. It's comfortable. It's a loving way of life. And I wouldn't change a thing.

I asked Tara about human mornings when she visited yesterday. As I said, she no longer uses the wheelchair, relying solely on a walking cane that she is eager to reject as soon as practicable. Regarding human mornings, she didn't have much information but did offer some thoughts.
 
 
"They seem more rushed. Things to do. Not as much time to enjoy life like we Sylvanians."

If that's the case for you, you have my sympathy. As I've said, I don't know much about your world other than a few insights Tara has shared and will continue to share. I can only wish that your mornings become as happy as mine.

Take care.
 

 o 0 O 0 o






No comments:

Post a Comment