Saturday 28 May 2022

Arrival - The Umberhounds

I've mentioned before how many of the dog families gravitate towards the grassland in Mellowdene County. Running about seems to be a common joy for them, the open plains providing them with the ideal place to do this whilst allowing the youngest family members to remain in sight of their elders. 
 

At the same time, all appreciate the convenience and social/employment attractions of the nearby village, the facilities of Mellowdene having grown over the years. I was reminded of this when I was trawling through back issues of the Mellowdene Examiner. I found something that inspired me to write this tale.


Within the People column Antonia Petite had been chatting with Monika Umberhound and again I was able to use Antonia's notes as additional source material. The following is based upon Monika's words. She tells an unusual story.


o 0 O 0 o

I enjoy living at the edge of the grasslands, but I'm glad we're fortunate to be so close to the village. The children love the school, and both Berndt and his brother like their work there. As do Candice and I, of course. I can confidently say we're all happy.

Berndt wonders if it's a reaction to our early life but I don't know. It's not that I'm dithering or uncertain. None of us know. We don't have much memory before finding ourselves on the north shore. I'm being vague. Let me explain.


There were four of us. My sister Candice and I plus two dogs we now know as Berndt and Rory Umberhound. My earliest memory is of us being rowed ashore by two robed figures; I don't know who they were as they wore hoods. I can only say we felt incredibly safe, and when we landed, when we queried where we were, one of them said, "Sylvania. You'll find a road if you follow the coastline with the mountains to your left. Once there, turn left and follow the road to the nearest village."


 Rory tried to find out more but they all they would say was, "The villagers will attend you."


They returned to their boat and rowed back into the sea mist.


It seems so long ago now, but it was only a few years. There we were, on an unfamiliar shore, but it felt right somehow. Once the boat had disappeared from our sight, Berndt took my arm and suggested we go where the robed figure had suggested.

I don't know if I knew Berndt in our earlier life but there was an emotional connection between us. Similarly, Candice and Rory seemed to be a couple. I think we knew at some level that we'd eventually marry. Maybe we already had.


When the four of us started walking we didn't dwell on our mysterious past. The countryside overwhelmed us with its beauty and we spent our journey enjoying the colours of flowers, the scents of nature, the songs of the birds, and our own company. I've since wondered, by allowing us to make our own way to the village, was it the robed ones' intent to have us soak in the joy of the Sylvanian countryside? To this day I still recall that feeling of contentment.


We found the road as indicated, and walked alongside through woodland until we approached a narrow river. 


There was a bridge and we could see houses and other buildings beyond. That was our first sight of Mellowdene.

o 0 O 0 o

The first people we met were Edwin and Ella Elwood. They were out taking a leisurely stroll when they saw us. 

They smiled as we started to pass then they paused. Somehow they realised that we were effectively lost.


"Hello," said Ella, "here are some lovely new faces. Are you here to meet someone? No, that's not it, is it? Oh goodness me - are you newcomers?"

I looked at Berndt and Candice looked at Rory. Candice was the first to speak.


"I think we might be. Where are we?"


"This is Mellowdene, dear, and you are all most welcome. We've not seen newcomers for a long time. As you may be disorientated you'll need someone to help you to get you sorted. First of all, are you hungry? Edwin has a bag of some fresh provisions from the bakery. Oh, what am I like? I am Ella Elwood and this is my husband Edwin."

From that moment - and I now know it was the same for the others - I knew I was in the right place.

o 0 O 0 o

There was a time when Berndt pondered if we came from the outer world but that didn't last long. We had other priorities and our lives were expanding. We were introduced to other villagers, and Harley and Penny Farthing took us into their care. 


There were two small houses near their place and they helped us settle. This was before they had their children, of course. They didn't appear until we'd married and our children were on the way.

It's hard to believe that we don't know how we came to be here. I guess it doesn't matter. Our lives effectively started when we turned up in Mellowdene. That's good enough for us.

o 0 O 0 o

I'd not heard the term newcomer for a while - at least not in that context. Monika Umberhound's story reminded me of aspects of the so-called Ring of Sylvania separating us from the realm of humankind. Was Berndt correct in his pondering? Was the memory issue a symptom of their transformation from beasts to Sylvanians? Or maybe it's a symptom of the snakeweed gas that Horatio told me about once*.Who knows? And who were those mysterious figures? Oh, never mind; it's just as well that I've come to terms with the strangeness of the world, isn't it? Besides, Mellowdene has its own resident investigator - Mulder Honey-Fox -  if we needed anyone to look into paranormal stuff! 


*see The Seabreeze at Mellowdene
o 0 O 0 o



4 comments:

  1. How very mysterious! I am glad the Umberhounds found a home in Mellowdene. I am also intrigued by the appearance of Mulder Honey-fox (LOVE the name!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always fun to add a bit of mystery now and again; adding a little variety to the stories. Unknown robed figures, new characters without a past, ambiguity...

      I'm glad you liked Mulder's name. I'm hoping to include him in a later story, so slipping him into the end of this tale wasn't a whim. So - more mysteries!

      Delete
  2. Hello, Jackson!

    Now, this was a mysterious tale indeed! The implications are quite intriguing indeed, I'm looking forward to seeing how you will approach these potential new storylines.

    I'd also love to hear of Mulder Honey-fox paranormal investigations!

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ayrell!

      I have plans for Mulder Honey-Fox. Choosing his name, way back when I bought him, meant he would always have an unusual occupation - but it's only this year when the plan came to mind. Sneaking subtle clues into stories - often as throwaway background comments - may gain significance later. With his first appearance, this story allowed a taster of Mulder's purpose. I thought a gradual awareness of his skills would benefit his character development before his eventual "starring role" in the coming months!

      We may not hear much more of the green-robed figures though. Some secrets are an end in themselves!

      Delete