Friday 31 December 2021

Winter Celebrations in Mellowdene

Yes, it's Darcy here, filling in for Jackson. Where could that lazy rabbit be? Haha! Joking. Winter celebrations mean the Buttergloves are busy and I'm more than happy to scribble some lines here.
 

With Coltsfoot Ivory and his family returning to Mellowdene, Cecile thought it would be nice to have a large family get together. All the Ivory families - connected by Colt, Rowan and Cecile - decided to celebrate under one roof. Butterglove House would have been packed, but Merlin Butterglove came to the rescue by securing the village hall for their festivities. And then it grew. Merlin, Eliza and Orton would attend, obviously. But they couldn't exclude Newton's family. And what about Eliza's brother Denzel Dandelion and all the residents of Butterglove Lodge? They even considered inviting the rest of the Cornflowers - but even the village hall has some limits to space!
 

Providing a full hot meal for all those hungry rabbits could have been a problem. Merlin had sufficient culinary helpers but the village hall didn't have facilities for keeping so many meals warm prior to serving. The Polaris polar bears offered a solution. The loan of one of their portable discharger machines attached to a series of shallow metal boxes. I wasn't aware of this technology, but apparently the heat absorbed by used refrigerator coolsalt blocks can be discharged in a controlled manner. 

 
But you don't want to hear all these technicalities! The point is that Jackson isn't available to write this time and you have me instead. So what should I write about? Easy. Other Winter Celebrations.

o 0 O 0 o

Some time ago, when I read Jackson's story about Orton's Wish List, it brought something to my attention that I'd never before considered. It was the fact we hadn't always celebrated Christmas in Mellowdene, and that it arrived slowly via newer residents. Did it originate with you humans? Not my concern. What does interest me is how the festival has grown over the years and combined with other longstanding crittizen traditions. Yes, there were such traditions before we adopted Santa and his jollity.


The bears had a small temple. Not religious as such, but it was a reminder that they were not only Sylvanians - they were bears as well - and this provided a connection to their past. It's still here, but it doubles as a small meeting place for assorted clubs. There are two small statues and the end of the inner chamber that are evidence of its use. 
 

Each month there are opportunities for Mellowdene bears to meet, discuss any issues particular to their race, noting any specific issues that need to be communicated to the village council. Their agreed representative is known as the High Bear and this is currently Forest Evergreen, recently taking over from Otto Huntingdon. These meetings are called Growls. However, at this time of year they meet up, sing old songs and tell tales of famous bruins of the past. This is the Winter Growl. I've heard some Christmas songs have been added to the last few Winter Growls!


I've also heard that the canal jetty near the Mews is particularly busy this time of year. Catsholme and the cats from Mellowdene renew their bonds. I don't know the details.

Dogs? Particularly social at any time, the Mellowdene canines assemble in the less overgrown areas of the grasslands, picnic by torchlight and set off fireworks.
 

You might get the impression from this that the crittizens of Mellowdene shun other races during these winter celebrations. That isn't the case. These events only take up a fraction of the period, partly due to the enjoyment of the Christmas effect.
 

What about me?

Of course, the Mellowdene Examiner is still published, but there's no great urgency. I still attend the Mouse Run with my family. You should not think that this relates to excessive physical exercise, but it does require some mental exercise when planning it. Weeks before, a complex diagram is drawn, connecting all mice families in Mellowdene. We tend to include hamster families too (as honorary mice) and work out a schedule of places and times. The idea is for each family to walk around the village meeting each other family - which might only be for a few minutes - and exchange good wishes, hugs and token presents (often small cheeses) before proceeding to the next place. 
 

Once this is done, the families will congregate on the village green for a dance and sing-along. 

Lots going on. Eating, drinking, chatting, laughing, hugging. A time to celebrate family, friends and Sylvanian life.


I hope that you, out there in your human world, enjoy this festive time. Ah, why be so restrictive? Winter, summer, any season - have a happy life!

o 0 O 0 o


10 comments:

  1. Darcy, this is such an informative and touching post. Getting together with friends and family is very important to me and I love that the citizens of Mellowdene also do that. Jackson's family gathering seems packed! I love that photo, well done!

    As for everyone else, it warms my heart to see them joining together to sing songs, exchange small gifts and to be each other's company. I especially enjoyed the part with including hamsters in the Mouse Run.

    Happy New Year,
    Yosemite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Yosemite!

      Although I'm mainly the editor/producer of my newspaper these days, it's always fun to maintain my reporting/writing skills. The encroachment of Christmas (welcome as it is) onto our older celebrations piqued my interest.

      I am good friends with the Goldebackes and Hamiltons so I find it heartwarming that the consensus by my fellow mice is to include hamsters in the Mouse Run. Nick Goldbacke gifted us an unusual truffle cheese, so we're looking forward to sampling this!

      Have a wonderful 2022!

      Delete
  2. Darcy, reading this post was such a delight! It was wonderful to see all the different traditions and get-togethers of the Sylvanian communities. From the photo, I can tell Jackson and his family had a lovely (and a little crowded) time together. I particularly love the picture of the dogs of Mellowdene gazing at the fireworks and the idea of a Mouse Run is very original yet heartwarming.

    Thank you for writing this post and bringing to light how important it is to spend time together all throughout the year, no matter the season or occasion!

    Happy New Year to you and yours,
    Emilie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emilie - great to hear from you!

      I'm sure there are other celebrations I've missed - for one thing, the beavers do something festive with wood - but all of them seem to have Christmas elements to varying degrees. I guess it further unifies the village.

      This year was the first Mouse Run that included my youngest, Clop. We had to carry him at times, but he enjoyed it - at least until he fell asleep!

      All the very best to you and your family for 2022!

      Delete
  3. Hi Darcy!

    Congrants on your last post. It´s always interesting to get to know more about different traditions in Mellowdene. I´m very keen on reading about Christmas and festive celebrations all around the world and of course all around Sylvanian too that´s why I enjoyed this post so much.

    I hope you and your family enjoyed the Mouse Run this year. It´s such a heartwarming tradition for the festive season! I love the idea of the picnic by torchlight and the fireworks that the cats have but your tradition is the one I like the most.

    Meeting friends and family, exchanging good wishes, hugs and gifts, dancing and singing at the end of the the Run...It all sounds great to me and it´s the way I like to spend this festive time of the year.

    You did very well in pointing out at the end of your article that we should enjoy every day no matter the season. That brings to mind a birthday card a friend of mine sent to me long time ago. I remember it said "Everyday is a gift. Enjoy the present" I love this quote and I always display this card on a coarkboard next to my desk at work. It´s important to keep it in mind.

    Hope you enjoy every single day of the New Year.

    I wish you and your family good health, good luck and lots of happy moments!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cutata!
      I sometimes think my posts are more an info dump than Jackson's - I suppose my reporting background has an influence on my style - so I'm delighted that were interested in the result of my efforts.

      The Mouse Run is fun. Traversing the entire village to celebrate individually with all mouse families - some of which one might have had little contact with over the year - is a wonderful way to refresh those relationships that one may have inadvertently neglected. I find it prompts me to keep more in touch for the forthcoming year. The dance on the village green can be compromised by bad weather, but we've been lucky in recent years. We can always wrap up and take flasks of hot drinks!

      Life is for living and as Sylvanians I think that is one of our strengths. If we can share good fellowship we all benefit.

      Have a wonderful year!

      Delete
  4. Nice to hear about some more Mellowdene customs. The Mouse Run made me laugh - in our human world, my family includes some non-Sylvanian mice too, and I can just imagine all those busily twitching little noses and dashing feet!
    Hope 2022 is good to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and Happy New Year from another with a twitching nose (especially when I'm after a story!)

      Thank you for your comment, GreyRabbit. I too sometimes find myself laughing at aspects of the Mouse Run. This is generally at the humourous grumbles issued by my chum Spencer Maces when he has to redraft the schedule. He always seems to manage it with minimum disruption to other families!

      Take care!

      Delete
  5. Hello Darcy,

    Thank you for keeping us updated on the happenings in Mellowdene during Jackson's absence. It sounds like and his family had a huge get together! The Polar bears saved the day once again, this time with their heating devices. They not only have the means to preserve cold using coolsalt, but also heat! That's amazing!

    I enjoyed reading about the traditions the bears, cats, dogs and mice of Mellowdene have during the festive period. I hope you had a wonderful time during Winter celebrations yourself!

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ayrell, and thank you!

      I know what you mean about the Polaris family. I suppose common sense tells us that - rather than stockpile all the used coolsalt blocks - there would be a way of discharging all the heat extracted from refrigerators. I didn't know that portable units existed that can do this in a controlled manner. Maybe the Sylvanian Research Group are involved; it wouldn't surprise me!

      One thing I love about Mellowdene is the diversity of traditions, with crittizens willing to share and adapt their experiences. I suppose incorporating Christmas is evidence of how this has already happened.

      Take care!

      Delete