Tuesday 28 September 2021

Blackberry Orchards

I've not seen much of my brother-in-law over the last two or three weeks. Apparently Rowan is busy with his odd job work. I know this because of Figwort. When he comes for his music lessons he keeps me updated with his father's latest activities. That's how I know Rowan is currently doing some work at Blackberry Orchards.


Because of his long standing friendship with Tanner Blackberry, Rowan can always find work at the orchard. Tanner, Bob and their families are often busy tending the fruit and vegetables they grow and are glad of the help. Even at slower times, their close relationship with the Buttercup family on the adjoining plot means Rowan will still get work. 
 

So, what can I tell you about these essential food producers?


Their location would be a good start. From the centre of the village, Mellowdene Road is the main thoroughfare that leads northeast out of the village and continues into the rest of the county beyond. You don't need to go too far and you will reach Crab Rock. This is the place where the road bends slightly to the east to take you - eventually - out of Mellowdene County. However, if you turn left at Crab Rock you will be on Farm Road and this takes you to Timbertop Farm, Blackberry Orchards and Buttercup Dairy.

The land allocated to the Buttercups is uneven, a little rocky in places, not suitable for fruit trees or the greenhouses needed for the Blackberry's food production. Happily, it is ideal for the growth and tending of lactolia bushes, the source of the plant-based milk that satisfies the village.


West of the Buttercup Dairy, the land is better suited for fruit crops and glass houses and this is where Blackberry Orchards is located. It has access to a natural spring that emerges when it meets the subterranean rock marking the boundary between the two businesses. This water eventually discharges into a pool - Clearfresh Pool - where (I've been told) it finds its way back to an underground water course. As such it provides the necessary irrigation for the area.


Buttercup Dairy and Blackberry Orchards sometimes work on joint ventures under the name Black & White Foods; no doubt the name was Tanner's idea. Their fruit smoothies and milk shakes are popular in the village and I heard a rumour that they'd struck a deal to supply the new pizzeria set up by the Pickleweeds. 
 

Also, the Buttercups operate the farm shop using produce from Blackberry Orchards. You may recall that I've already told you of the time Rowan helped the Buttercup family with the farm shop.

Whew! I've given you a lot of information there. Darcy says that's okay - one can imagine him saying, "how else are they to learn?" - but that's how he is. 

o 0 O 0 o

Even with Rowan's undoubtedly useful contribution, sometimes that's not enough. The population of the village and outlying homesteads have increased over the years and both the Blackberrys and Buttercups have increased their yield. This means that there are times when there aren't enough people to bring in the harvest. That's when the Mellowdene community pile in to help.


There are always enough adults and children happy to help. By way of thanks, they will receive a small percentage of the yield. 

Last week, when Orton and Brendan went to visit Tanner Blackberry's boys Solly and Ziggy, I thought it was something to do with their school homework followed by a play session. They came home with a small basket of blueberries. 

A nice surprise. However, Cecile thought it was a mixed blessing. Although Orton didn't have any fruit stains on him, the same can't be said for my boy...
 


o 0 O 0 o


4 comments:

  1. Love it, Jackson! I was love how you still give information about Mellowdene. Lactolia bushes are very creative, my sister and I usually just say it's soy or almond milk, but your idea is amazing!

    The final photo with Brendan made me laugh really hard, he just seems so stuffed while everyone else is watching him. Heehee!

    Take care,
    Posh Pear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm happy you enjoyed the tale. I thought of making up an imaginary plant before soy or almond occurred to me, hence lactolia.

      I know this tale was a bit of an "info dump" so Brendan simply had to do something to provide a bit of character towards the end. With such a messy boy, Cecile is running towards him, cloth in hand!

      Delete
  2. I loved reading about the shared business of the Blackberries and the Buttercups, and how they supply food for Mellowdene! Lactolia bushes are such a great idea!
    Ah, Brendan and his antics, haha!

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ayrell. Thanks again for your comments; they are appreciated.

      With the Timbertops mainly farming cereals & root crops and providing eggs, it was handy to have a forum challenge that gave prominence to other food suppliers. I hope that placing them in the same general area will help me when I get around to drawing another part of the Mellowdene map. Over my increasing number of stories I've been adding a number of locations - I will need to ensure I'm consistent!

      And Brendan? Yes, we're getting to know him, aren't we!

      Take care!

      Delete