Sunday 15 August 2021

Pearl's Pie

Hello world!

Yes, it's me - newspaper supremo Darcy Fielding! (Well, there's no harm in a little confidence.) Before Jackson submits his next piece of writing, I thought I'd offer a few words. Actually, Jackson inspired me with something in his last work; he mentioned Pearl Babblebrook's cooking.


It seems to be a common belief that Pearl's cooking is always flawed, that she is always unaware of this, and that people always go to great lengths for it to stay that way. They do this because they think it will save her feelings. Unfortunately this isn't always the best course. But with Sylvanians being naturally nice people, what is the alternative?

A few years ago we needed an alternative. Pearl's cooking got worse. Despite the attempts of those close to her, the food escaped (for want of a better word) and some people got ill.

I found out what happened. I have sources...

o 0 O 0 o

Crystal Babblebrook broached the subject with her husband.

"Rocky," she said, "someone really must have a word with your mother. You know we get on well, but her cooking is getting dangerous. And I'm not always there to fix things. I'd say something but I'm worried that her competitive nature will think I'm being cruel."

Rocky squirmed. "You know that I recently found a reason that convinced her to stop sneaking her cooking into the store. If I berate her cooking she'll want to know why I didn't tell her the truth before."


"It will be devastating for her however we do it."

"This level of hiding things from her - it shouldn't have gone on so long. I don't know how we'll tell her the truth."

"It needs tact."

"It does. Who can we ask?"

o 0 O 0 o

They didn't find anyone suitable. Everyone they approached felt the same way. They'd made allowances so long that they were concerned they'd be considered liars if they told Pearl Babblebrook the truth.

As it transpired it wasn't necessary to find anyone.

o 0 O 0 o

"Bleeugh!"


Buster Slydale pulled his face into exaggerated contortions, rolled his eyes and continued to make retching noises.

"Whatever is the matter, child?" Pearl asked, consternation upon her face.

"There's something nasty in this pie!" he said, spitting out into his paw.

"Buster, where are your manners?" said Velvette, his mother. "You don't say things like that. That's not how you've been raised."

"Sorry mum, but you've not tasted it."
 

"I do apologise, Mrs Babblebrook. Pearl," said Velvette, turning to the unsettled grey rabbit. "I don't know what's got into him."

"Yukky pie, that's what," muttered Buster.

"Buster! Again, I'm so sorry, Pearl," Velvette said, taking Buster's arm and propelling him away.

Pearl regarded the remainder of the pie resting on the table. Why had it caused such a reaction in the young fox? She took a small piece and dipped her tongue into the filling. Her eyes widened.
 

"Oh dear!"

o 0 O 0 o

"I can't understand it, Crystal," said Pearl. "I've made this sweet treat dozens of times. Why did I get so much wrong?"


Crystal wondered if this was the opportunity to tell her the truth about her mother-in-law's cooking, but still hadn't decided on the best words. As she hesitated, she realised Pearl's question was rhetorical when the self analysis continued.

"I mean, how did I mistake gravy browning for cocoa powder? Baking soda for baking powder? Cornstarch for flour? Or use beetroot instead of plums? I'd even used salt instead of sugar."

Crystal stared. "That's more than... a simple error," she said, changing her words mid sentence. More than usual was what she almost said.


"I know. Why didn't I see I was choosing the wrong ingredients?"

"I don't know. You did read the labels, didn't you?"

"I don't read much these days. I went by the appearance. That must be it, Crystal."

The mystery seemed solved but Crystal picked up on something. "You used to be an avid reader. What's changed?"

"It must be my age. It's harder to do these days."

"Harder? Hmm. I think a visit to Henry Bearbury is in order. To check your eyesight."

o 0 O 0 o

It was the right decision. It emerged Pearl was developing cataracts in both eyes. 
 
 
Over the next few months she had eye surgery performed by Terence Murdoch. Each operation was a complete success. The cataracts had reduced her ability to focus and had leeched her sense of colour, both aspects being gradual over a period of time. Afterwards, she could see with amazing clarity and the world was a more colourful place.

During her recuperation she reduced the amount of cooking she did. Chatting with her friend Mabel Periwinkle, she was convinced that she could be a big help working some shifts on the village's telephone switchboard. Crystal encouraged her to check out the Cake Club, thinking that decorating cakes gave less opportunity for disaster than baking.

This brings us up to date. Pearl cooks less and takes more care with ingredients. 
 
 
That doesn't mean her food is suddenly good. It's still poor but it doesn't cause the same horror in the villagers. And with the reduced risk, everyone decided there was no benefit in telling Pearl the truth.

Are we too nice, or simply cowards?

I suppose it doesn't matter, and we should thank Buster Slydale for... being Buster. And I never thought I'd ever say that!

o 0 O 0 o






11 comments:

  1. A cute story Jackson, and a nice approach to the challenge. I really like the picture of Buster with his tongue out, and also the one of Pearl after tasting her own pie - she looks quite suitably shocked! Good luck with the contest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, GreyRabbit!

      It didn't take too long to decide who'd be the critter to say "Bleuugh"! Whilst he's not featured too much in the Mellowdene stories (I think Farm Shop is where he's seen) I think most Sylvanian collectors are aware of Buster Slydale's nature!

      Take care!

      Delete
  2. Hello Jackson and Darcy! You may know me, Yosemite, from the Sylvanian Families Forum! Thought I just stop by and read this story. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! I like Pearl's humor, salt for sugar😂

    Good work,
    Posh Pear (AKA Yosemite)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Posh Pear - and welcome!

      I'm so pleased you love this story, as will Darcy. Pearl's cooking would be much better if she tasted her own food before releasing it to others. The funny thing is that the salt and sugar confusion isn't a new thing. It's a common error she makes. Tasting it that one time was a rare event.

      Ah well, I doubt she'll change. We still love her despite her deficiencies!

      Take care!

      Delete
    2. Hello Jackson! I'm glad I decided to stop by, I read your Victorian posts (History of Man) and your Valentines Day 2 parter. Spectacular work!

      Pearl should taste her cooking, many problems would be solved😂

      ❤Have a good day❤

      Delete
  3. Hi Jackson!
    What a great story! I really enjoyed it! Darcy´s writing is always very interesting.
    I understand it must be hard to tell Pearl the truth about her poor cooking skills, specially in Sylvania where feelings are taking in great consideration and everyone is so nice. I don´t consider them cowards for not telling her the truth. It´s understandable they din´t want to hurt her feelings but I really enjoyed seeing Buster´s face after tasting Pearl´s pie. He was the perfect choice to say the open truth. Poor Velvette! She must have been so embarrassed about his son´s reaction. That part was good fun!

    Have a great day and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cutata! Lovely to hear from you.

      I think Darcy found Buster's actions hilarious - and I suspect most villagers wish they could be so brutally honest - but that little fox cub is one of the few that ploughs on regardless of consequences. Maybe he'll mellow, but I wouldn't bet on it!

      Take care!

      Delete
  4. Hello Jackson!

    I really enjoyed your entry for the forum contest. Of course, Buster was the best-suited to make Pearl realise the truth, haha. I liked your realistic approach to the situation; Pearl's cooking was dangerous because she couldn't see well, but after her surgeries she still wasn't a good cook, haha! At least, hopefully no one will be poisoned now, and her feelings weren't hurt! A win for everyone. Your Pearl seems a very sweet lady, I'm glad she's doing better now.

    Great story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ayrell! I'm glad you enjoyed this story. It was fun incorporating critters with established canon characteristics (Crystal, Pearl, Buster) into Mellowdene lore.

      In the previous story I'd implied there had been a greater risk in eating Pearl's cooking than normal, so this story also acts as an explanation why that was, and how her culinary efforts returned to being merely unpleasant.

      Have a good week!

      Delete
  5. Well done, my friend, you won the contest! Well deserved! Hugs, Karine aka Pigjes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karine!

      As a result, some snow bunnies, Paperbark dogs and a Christmas lion will be joining the Mellowdene cast list. I'm already wondering about family connections!

      Delete