Thursday 22 July 2021

The Music

With the distraction of the heatwave essentially over - a thunderstorm, sporadic rainfall, welcome summer breezes - the temperature was almost down to the seasonal levels with which we are familiar. We could return to normal life.

It's been an interesting week. In a nice way, too. As far as I'm concerned, that's always likely when music is involved. It probably won't surprise you to learn that I have three primary loves in my life - family, friends and music.

Yes. "The Music" has been there as long as I remember.
 

I didn't start my working life as a songwriter, but it wasn't long before I opted for that career full time.

Before I properly met Cecile, I had a working association with her brother Burdock Rowan Ivory and we were becoming friends. Whilst at Jimbo's Coffee Bar late one afternoon he saw that I'd scribbled some music notes on a napkin. Apparently I was humming the tune I was composing.


"Sounds good, Jack," he said. "You enjoy doing that, I can tell. Shame you can't do it full time."

I had already thought that. Merlin had even said that I should.

"Look at it this way, little brother," he had said. "I've got my dream job working at the library. Newton's now a Professor and he says he's been offered work outside Mellowdene that would stretch his brain. Why should you be the only brother who isn't doing what he was meant to do?"
 

I had dismissed this at the time, under the impression I needed to be a responsible bunny. It took the poetry of Christian Snow-Warren and his suggestion that we could work on a project together before I truly saw the possibilities. Maybe it could be a career.
The music was part of me. Why deny it?

But this doesn't really explain my interesting week. Merely why I was interested.

o 0 O 0 o

It started with a telephone call from Grant Foxworth, the producer of the musical that Chris and I had been working on for the past year. The date of the premiere was set. We were invited to attend and had apparently been assigned a number of tickets that we could use for friends or family. 

 
Cecile was excited of course. After much enthusiasm and lots of hugs and kisses she disappeared to share her glee with Eliza. Merlin would learn from her rather than me, but I didn't mind.

When I told Darcy Fielding the next day, he slapped me on the back.

"That's brilliant, Jackson. Of course, I'll be reporting on it for the Examiner. It's big news for Mellowdene - worthy of a front page story. Now, down to practicalities. How will you travel there? I expect you'll have a sizeable entourage?"
 

I hadn't thought about it. I'd just been enjoying the euphoria of my family. Darcy was, as ever, practical and happy to take charge. He settled back on the garden bench and regarded me.

"You haven't had a chance to consider that, I can tell," he said. "Well, don't worry about it, my friend. Darcy will sort it. I'll go and see Eustace Truffle at Mellowdene Van Hire. He's got close links with the Woodland Bus Company. We can charter a bus. All go together."

Things were moving despite the premiere not being imminent. Darcy likes to be ahead of the game.
 
 
o 0 O 0 o

The next interesting news item was a visit at the weekend from Angelica Ivory. Rowan had taken on another odd job - I didn’t ask - so maybe she was missing the unique personality of her husband. 
 

She had accompanied her twins, Aster and Figwort, who are - it is to be said - spending a little more of their spare time at our house. Aster's friendship with Beverley has grown steadily since the initial wariness of their first meeting and she is now an integral part of the core group that also contains Biddie Butterglove and Lena Dandelion. As previously documented, Figwort has grown from the shy, almost secretive little boy we first encountered. He now visits to play with Brendan, Orton and Lucky Snow-Warren on most days after school. And that's not all - but I'll return to that later. First, his mum Angelica Ivory.


"I'm glad I've caught you on your own, Jackson," she said. "Aster and Figgy are enjoying some warm chocolate pudding in the kitchen. I know it might spoil their evening meal, but I don't begrudge them the occasional treat."

I nodded. "Frasier has given Cecile some chunks of cooking chocolate - a new blend - as a thank you for some cake decorating she did. I'm looking forward to some pudding  after my teatime."
 


"Yes, yes," said Angelica, clearly eager to tell me something before the children made an appearance. "I just wanted to personally thank you, Jackson. Jack. And to apologise. It's been long overdue."

I raised my brows and she must have noticed my confusion. She indicated that we should sit before moving on to her explanation..
 

"Last year and the whole thing about Beverley, the mayor and the painting. I got carried away, was totally unfair putting your sweet daughter in that position, and for... manipulating you in the first place, I'm truly sorry."

"Manipulating me?"


"A little. Rowan made me see. He loves you like a brother, you know. Underneath all that joking and stuff. When we decided to move back to Mellowdene after him being away so long, he told me that it wasn't just Cecile he missed. He respects you too."

I didn't really know what to say. I said something like, "Oh. Right. We care for him too. He's a... loon..."

Not an entirely appropriate sentiment to express, but Angelica laughed.

"Yes he is. My lovely loon."

She paused. "But the reason I want to thank you is for Figwort. How he's changed this past few months. Rowan always said that Figwort looked sad at times but I never saw it. I must have been a terrible mother..."


"No Angelica. You have lovely childen. I can't accept that about you."

"Well, maybe that is an exaggeration. But I don't know how I missed it. Now, thanks to you, Figgy's opened like a flower. He has settled. He's visibly happy. And he's always talking about his Uncle Jack."


She leaned forward and kissed my cheek. "Thank you." 
 

She turned to go, then paused. "He sang in class the other day. That's the first time he's had confidence to do anything like that."


She left the room. I was... well, I don't know what I was. Angelica's revelations had thrown me. I didn't have long to examine my feelings as a smiling face appeared at the door.

"Uncle Jack!"
 


It was Figwort.

o 0 O 0 o

Angelica had confirmed something I suspected. Figwort did like his Uncle Jack. There was supplementary evidence of this.

It was clear the lad enjoyed his after-school visits to play with Brendan, but he didn't change his habit on Thursdays when Brendan didn't come straight home. On this day my boy was attending a drama club at the Furbanks' house. (Apparently this activity began as a consequence of the talent show a few months back. Kenneth Furbanks had been impressed with Brendan's story there.) Figwort decided that was an opportunity for him to come and see me.


It soon became obvious that he was fascinated with making music. In retrospect, I remembered him wandering to the end of the room to stare at my piano. Later, he would quietly hum or sing along to tunes I played. The news that he'd had the confidence to sing in class was wonderful, but I guess it was bound to happen at some point.

He had started to ask questions about music theory. The first time was a surprise. He had pointed to one of the black notes on the piano.


"Is that a G flat?" he had asked.

"It is indeed," I had smiled.

"But isn't it an F sharp too?"

I had laughed and confirmed his confusion. He wanted to know how that could be, so I'd tried to explain in simple terms. I don't think I did a great job, but Figgy seemed satisfied.  

I wondered what he would ask now. 
 
 
o 0 O 0 o

"Mummy didn't ask you if you'd like to work at the school, did she?" he said as he settled by my side. "I said she shouldn't; that you were too busy."


I shook my head. "Was that a possibility, Figgy?" 

"Mmm. She's been talking with my daddy about changes that might happen at the school. Has been for a few weeks."

I knew something was brewing. Darcy had told me that his daughter's project last Mellowdene Day had unexpectedly motivated the teaching staff to discuss changes to the curriculum. Despite some intentions to write about Dotty Dappledawn, Una Fielding had succumbed to her original ideas and highlighted weaknesses and suggested improvements to lesson planning.


"And that includes more formal music education?" I asked.

Figgy nodded. "I think it's just one idea. But I don't want it to stop you songwriting."

I wanted to hug him. He really was a sweet young boy. 


"You think it could do?"

"Trying to teach all the classes would be a lot of work. More than just teaching me."

I hadn't realised it until that moment, but I was teaching him - sort of. It was so easy, because of his voracious interest. I doubt a class full of children would ever approach his desire to learn music. I made a decision there and then.

"Figgy - would you like me to teach you to read music properly?"
 

His eyes shone. "Really?"

"I suspect you already have an inkling. I would have offered to teach you the piano, but you don't have anywhere to practise."

His mouth dropped open. Then, realising this, he regained some degree of composure.
 

"Well, Uncle Jack... maybe you could teach me a little bit. Mummy might let me use the piano at school..."



o 0 O 0 o

 

A while later when Figwort made to leave I pondered what he had said to his mum. When had he spoken to her? Was Angelica's original motive in seeing me today purely to sound me out as a potential school teacher? Maybe I'm being uncharitable. Whether or not it was today Figwort had caused his mother to think about her actions, I'm grateful to the lad for causing her to rethink. And she did seem genuinely grateful about my part in Figgy's growth.


As for me, I feel happy. Sharing the excitement of someone else who's discovering their intense love of "the music". It's beautiful.

o 0 O 0 o


 





 

4 comments:

  1. A new generation of Mellowdenian musicians begins! How lovely, and nice to see Angelica apologising for that business with Beverley, too.
    Of course it is exciting news about the musical, too - will we get to see Darcy's review?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks GreyRabbit! I was happy to tie up some loose ends for Angelica and Figwort and pleased you liked it.

      I've not decided how best to present the musical as yet, but I can't delay much longer. Creating a stage set? Via a Darcy review? Write and record an actual song? Who knows? Not me yet!

      Delete
  2. The relationship between Jackson and his nephew Figworth is so heartwarming! I really enjoy seeing them together. It's great that Jackson has found someone in his close family who is as interested in music as he is. I wonder if he spending more time with Figgy will make Beverley or Brendan jealous...?

    Darcy is so dependable! Can't wait to read more about the musical.
    Thank you for another great story!

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I don't think Beverley or Brendan are likely to become jealous. Beverley has gained Aster as another friend - a gap in her entourage that opened when Anise Ivory moved away with her family. Brendan doesn't think that way. He's pleased that Figwort is more receptive, and is actually pleased that his dad can share his musical knowledge with someone other than him; his aptitudes aren't great in that area.

      Darcy is a go-getter. He is aware of Jackson's strengths and weaknesses, so is happy to step in "for the greater good"!

      Take care!

      Delete