Sunday 25 April 2021

The Field Trip

It's that time of year again! For newer readers, I'm talking about our annual spring festival - The Melting. After last year's health issues, I'm pleased to say that Bear Banger and the Bunny Boys reformed to do a modest set of six or seven numbers. And I hear all went very well. Yes, you heard me correctly. Unlike my contributions for the last couple of years, I wasn't directly involved. I wrote out a rough score for Mack Periwinkle - since the band wanted to include a new number, but that was it.
 

Cecile took the children - their missing the chocolate bunny hunt was not an option - but Chris Snow-Warren and I had to go to see producer Grant Foxworth about the Sylvan River musical. After all this time, the cast has been finalised and they are busy with rehearsals, and Grant wanted us to hear their initial efforts. Reasonable, and after our suggestions and tweaks I think it could be good. The famous baritone Corbet Mulligan was not in the cast, despite his initial interest, although we were given his contact details. I think he might want us to write a song (or songs) for him. 
 
Grant gives Corbet Mulligan's contact details to Chris

So, all in all, a productive meeting. But I had some making up to do for not accompanying Cecile to the Melting. 

"We look forward to our family time at the Melting," said Cecile. "We need to do something else together."
 

Beverley was listening, as is becoming a habit.

"Don't forget there's a field trip in a few days," she said, almost an offhand remark.

I switched my attention to my daughter, seemingly engrossed in her reading.


"What field trip?" I asked.

"Good idea," said Cecile. "We can do that."


Beverley looked up. "No, I meant I can't do a family thing whilst I'm on the school field trip."

"Ah," said Cecile. "That's right. Silly mummy. Never mind - we'll have more time to plan something nice."


I looked at them both. "Is no one going to tell me about this field trip? Why don't I know about it?"

"You were away with Uncle Chris when I learned about it," said Beverley. "You know that they've been doing some work on the canal near Catsholme? Well, the school has arranged for us to see the result. We get a day to see the new mini docks at work."


"Oh, right," I said. 

I didn't mean to sound dismissive. It was merely because - years ago - I'd also been on a field trip to look at the canal, and it resurrected some memories of my school days.
 
 
o 0 O 0 o

Workers from both Mellowdene and the hill cats - now settled in their new community of Catsholme - had been working for years to build a canal, starting with the shallow watercourse known as The Ditch. And now it was open. There was as yet only one canal boat, but both villages were proud of their combined achievement. It was only natural that the school wanted their children to witness the result of such a successful collaboration. 

Whilst the work had been in progress, the children were told it might be dangerous for them to visit. Once deemed safe, a series of field trips were arranged.

I went on one of these. 


My school chum Clarence Snow-Warren was quite excited. "I hear that the boat will allow more regular deliveries of some stuff. Frasier's dad will get cocoa beans more often. You know what that means?"


I grinned, and together we said, "More chocolate!"

"That's great," I added, "I wonder where they get it from?"


"Don't care," said Clarence. 

I shifted my chair to face him.
 

"Maybe it comes from the north coast going down Acorn Valley," I pondered.

"Still don't care."

I got up and punched his arm. "This is supposed to be an educational trip. You should care, Clary."

He stood, solemnly faced me - and blew a raspberry.
 
 
We looked at each other and then burst out laughing. 

A shadow fell over us. We looked up to see our teacher, Dermot Buckley. He pursed his lips.


"I see you're both engaged in serious schoolwork, boys," he said, "but I'll have to separate you because I need you for some important tasks."

Clary wasn't sure what to expect - and I supposed I was a touch wary too. We'd expected to visit the canal as a pair, exchange notes and discuss what we saw, all in preparation for the inevitable follow-up lesson. I had hoped the separation was temporary.

It wasn't. 
 

"Master Snow-Warren will assist me, taking notes when I speak to the foreman in charge of the final construction."
 
 
Clary sneaked a look at me and curled his lip.
 

"And you, Master Butterglove, will accompany our new pupil on the trip." Mister Buckley ushered forward a small mouse who had been examining a notebook left open on a nearby desk.
 
 
"Because he was learning his family business, he was in the 'apprentice class', but his parents now think he should move across to our main classes to get a broader academic education."


The mouse looked at me. "Hi. My idea, actually. My dad agrees I can learn the rest of the business later. I'm called Darcy."
 

Mister Buckley looked a little taken aback. He obviously didn't expect the newcomer to be so forthright. "Yes," he said. "Most interesting. Well, Master Fielding, this is Jackson Butterglove. You should stay with him for the duration of the field trip. He will look after you." He fixed me with a stare. "That's right, isn't it, Master Butterglove?"
 

"Yes sir."

"Good. Now, Master Snow-Warren, if you will come with me..."


Darcy Fielding moved to my side as we watched my teacher walk off with my school chum. Before they went out of sight, Clary looked over his shoulder and pulled a face at me.

"Wow," said the young mouse. "Is he always like that?"
 

I smiled. "Yeah. But he's a good teacher."

"So I would hope."

o 0 O 0 o

Darcy proved an interesting companion. He confirmed my suspicion that he was part of the Fielding family that ran the village newspaper. It soon became clear he was ideally suited for that business, exhibiting an enquiring mind. It also became clear that he was not prepared to take things at face value.


We had reached the area where the canal officially terminated - although Darcy pointed out that the Ditch actually continued with run-off water disappearing underground.

"Do you see?" he said. "There will be areas along the length of the canal where they can regulate the water level if it gets too low. They'll tap into the lakes up in the mountains. But they still need to ensure it won't flood in really bad weather. There'll be a pumping station somewhere to control the run-off."
 

I stared at him. "How do you know all this?"

"Research. I'm going to be a good newspaper man one day."

"When did you get a chance to research all this?"

"Ah, I'm not a swot, if that's what you're thinking. I went with my dad when he was talking to the construction managers. Work experience, he called it."
 

"I think that you might find that useful when we have our follow-up lesson. You're bound to do well."
    
He looked towards the other children spread out in a column along the canal bank, then returned his attention to me.
 
 
"If they expect to learn much purely by looking at the pretty canal boat, they might be disappointed." He checked no-one was watching us. "Come on."

"Where?"

"To learn more about this canal."
 

He started to move off. I briefly debated what to do, then remembered Mister Buckley's words... stay with him for the duration of the field trip ... He will look after you...

I hurried after him.
 


o 0 O 0 o



 There was indeed a pumping station. A small building with stone blocks at each corner, wooden planks connecting them. A sturdy door, propped open. Darcy beckoned me to look at a sign on the door. It said Van Dyke.

I nodded. "Ebb's dad runs the Waterworks. It looks as though you're right."


Darcy nodded. "Can't see a pipe from the canal though. They must have buried it. Probably be visible inside the station. I'll check."

"Do you think we should?"

"Well I am. You can wait if you want."

Again, Mister Buckley's words... stay with him...

I followed.
 
 
Darcy was right again. A pipe emerged from the ground and led to a mechanism of dials, levers, cylinders, valves and who knows what. The curious mouse went to examine a large dial.
 

"What does it do?" I asked.

Darcy laughed. "How should I know? Hydraulic stuff. I'm not a plumber. But I think it proves they've considered village safety. We can write about that."

It was then we heard voices, outside.
 

"We shouldn't be here," I whispered.

"They're probably just passing," Darcy whispered in response. 

"This shouldn't be open with those children about," said a gruff voice. 


The door slammed shut, a lock clicked, and footsteps faded.

Darcy regarded me. "You remember when you asked if I thought we should come in here?"

"Yes."

"I've revised my opinion."
 

o 0 O 0 o

I understand we were locked in there for less than an hour but it seemed longer to me. Darcy didn't panic, and surprisingly neither did I - probably due to my companion's apparent lack of concern. He told me about his previous class and asked me about his new class, wanting information about his new classmates and the teachers. And we didn't just sit and talk. Darcy thought it might be useful to draw the machinery whilst we chatted.
 
"A good reporter should always carry a notepad and pencil in his pocket," he said.
 

When we were discovered, we expected to be berated for "running off", but it didn't work out that way. It seemed Mister Buckley felt guilty for losing us.

"Are you sure you're both unhurt?" he repeated.


Darcy rewarded our teacher with a big smile. "We're quite well, sir. This pumping station was most educational. And Master Butterglove looked after me, just as you asked."

o 0 O 0 o

The memories shifted, and I thought of Brendan's fictional story where he sneaked into Van Dyke's Waterworks. I wondered if Cecile had mentioned my experience to him, nudging his imagination. Possibly, but there were more pressing concerns. My daughter.


"Beverley?"

"Hmm?"

"When you go on your field trip to the mini docks, you won't go off without your teachers, will you?"
 
 
"Course not, daddy."

Cecile fixed me with a knowing look, a hint of a smile on her perfect lips. Not a word was spoken.
 


o 0 O 0 o 

4 comments:

  1. Hello Jackson!

    A great idea for the "Field Trip" prompt! I enjoyed learning how Jackson and Darcy met when they were young, and I'm glad they managed to keep their cool when they got locked in the pumping station. That must have been quite frightening! No wonder Jackson doesn't want Beverley to have the same experience, haha!

    Wonderful pictures and edits, as always! Learning about the canal in Mellowdene was very interesting as well.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ayrell!

      After the Couples story from last year it was fun to again create young versions of familiar characters. I enjoyed showing the young Darcy - jolly but already a go-getting little mouse - the motto "Fielding Wielding Others Yielding" already becoming evident.

      It's nice to give a few nods to other earlier stories too - School Days, Hawkshade, in particular, plus the Bunny Boys. Avoiding too much detail on the Melting helped revive the Sylvan River strand and Corbet.

      It's funny how stories evolve and allow other back-stories to flesh out, almost by accident. One of the joys I have, writing about Mellowdene.

      Take care.

      Delete
  2. Sorry it has taken me so long to read this, Jackson! Real life does get in the way sometimes, doesn't it?
    I do like these stories where we get to see Jackson and some of the gang as children. It was fun seeing his first meeting with Darcy. Just like a mouse, too - they're often bolder than people expect them to be! Best of luck to Beverley on her excursion - hope she keeps out of trouble. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, GreyRabbit. I'm happy that you enjoy my stories whenever you read them!

      The idea of the apprentice classes evolved from the School Days story, so was a convenient explanation of why Jackson and Darcy hadn't properly interacted before this meeting. Merging the meeting with a field trip was a handy device, and I liked how Jackson felt obligated to follow this curious and proactive little mouse.

      Take care!

      Delete