Sunday 8 November 2020

Beastie Hunts and Dreamstone

It occurred to me that, whilst Jackson has written of two significant occasions in the Mellowdene calendar (the Melting and Mellowdene Day), there are others of which you will be unaware. One in particular comes to mind, mainly because it's currently underway. I speak of the Beastie Hunt. Oh, and it's Darcy speaking, in case you didn't realise!


Well, first of all I should assure you that we're not hunting beasties. We don't do that. No. It's the beasties doing the hunting. And we have to calm them down. A dangerous business.

No, I'm teasing. The so-called beasties are roles acted out by a number of our children. Not just children, I should add. Sometimes a few parents will accompany them. And there are a few adults who participate to enjoy the experience themselves. Regular readers won't be surprised that two particular Waters' brothers are amongst these...

First, some background.

Long-term readers may recall that the Melting is a spring festival where we celebrate growth and a joy of nature. It is also connected to a legend learned by all our children - that of the Snow Queen. Seeing the need of animals throughout the world yearning for their own sanctuary she sacrificed herself, melting to create Sylvania from a lifeless rock. The act brought those creatures to our land, transforming them into our ancestors. A supernatural tale for sure, but it is ingrained into many Mellowdenians. 

It is no coincidence the Beastie Hunt is separated from the Melting by six months. The recognition that there are still creatures seeking such sanctuary led to a related event - darker in tone - signifying further beasts hunting for a means to reach us. The belief that there is still some active part of the Snow Queen within the land gives believers an explanation why other critters reach our shores, that the so-called Ring of Sylvania is the last part of their transformation into Sylvanians. This led to the theory that her heart exists somewhere, providing guidance and making dreams come true. The Dreamstone.

But such paw-wringing, sadness and ineffective worrying is not the Sylvanian way. The event has long since evolved into a jollier occasion. Now children dress up - supposedly as beasts - and visit houses in search of the Dreamstone. Of course they won't find it. They are kindly given nourishment and encouraged to continue their hunt elsewhere... until they reach their objective - their own home.

You may wonder why I've chosen to highlight this occasion. Well, as I mentioned at the outset, it's happening now. I've had two callers of note within the last few hours.

o 0 O 0 o

I've been following Jackson's revelations about the family member who supplemented their household roughly a year ago. As Orton Butterglove had only just arrived in the village, he didn't take part in the Beastie Hunt back then. This year, with his closest friend and cousin Brendan away with his parents, I again thought Orton wouldn't bother participating. I was wrong. A knock on my door, and I was made aware of my misunderstanding. But not immediately.

"Gurr gurr. I'm a wild beastie glartnunk and I'm looking for the Dreamstone. Gurr gurr."


I stared at the odd costume - it wasn't any beast I recognised - and by counting the legs I noticed that it concealed two individuals. Nevertheless, before satisfying my curiosity I played my part in the tradition.

"Oh wild beastie, do not eat me when I tell you there is no Dreamstone here! I have tastier treats to help you in your search."

"Gurr gurr. I accept your offer. It is a long search. Gurr gurr."


I handed over two small bags of marshmallows. "There you are, wild beastie. Good luck." I dropped out of character. "Who's in there? That's a splendid costume."

A small head appeared from the middle of the costume. Young Sherman Clearwater. "It's me, Mr Fielding - Sherman. My mum sewed the outfit for us."


"It's certainly unusual. What did you say it was?"

That was when Orton revealed himself. "Hi Mr Fielding, and thanks for the sweets. We are supposed to be a glartnunk lizard. They have some on the Isle of Rut. My dadda once kept one briefly for studying and I helped feed it."

Sherman piped up. "Orton drew a picture so my mum could make a pattern to sew."


"Right." I didn't know whether or not there were glartnunks out there in the larger world, but I didn't believe it worth mentioning. "Well, both of you take care..." - I resumed my character - "...when you seek the Dreamstone."

Two heads disappeared, and with a wave of a costumed paw, the children departed, chanting "Gurr. Gurr gurr. Dreamstone. Gurr."

 

o 0 O 0 o

The other callers were dressed as enormous ducks. Apparently. They were adults, and despite the scruffy costumes and bills worn on their faces I recognised Wally and Willie Waters immediately. 

"Quack," said Wally.

"Quack quack," said Willie. 

"Right," I said. "Ducks, I take it."

"Quack," said Wally, "That's right. Wild beastie ducks. Looking for the Dreamstone. Quack."

I sighed then went through the motions. "Oh wild beastie ducks, do not eat me when I tell you there is no Dreamstone here. I have tastier treats to help you in your search."

"Great," said Willie, "I mean, quack quack. We accept your offer. It is a long search. And we have wild beastie ducklings to tend. Quack."


I peered around the Waters brothers and saw seven small figures waddle forward in makeshift duck costumes - their nephews and nieces. They waved and quacked in unison.

My wife joined me at my side.

"Bridget?" I said, "We have a few wild beastie ducks."

"Quack," said one of the wild beastie ducklings. I think it was Crispin. I'd already identified Leo Waters because he was gleefully jumping up and down.

Bridget handed me some extra sweetie bags. "I saw them from the window and thought you'd need restocking. "


"Thanks." I distributed them to all nine beasties. They thanked me. Young Ripley Waters sidled up to me and whispered, "I hope you don't mind there's so many of us. Uncle Wally thought it would be funny to see people's reactions."

I smiled. "No, dear. It was a good joke." I then addressed all nine. "Take care when you seek the Dreamstone." 

They left, all affecting an exaggerated waddle in their walk, quacks punctuating their movement.


 o 0 O 0 o

There were a handful of other callers, but I should stress that it wasn't every child in the village. By convention the beasties are allocated a limited number of houses upon which to call, so that sweet, candy and fruit sources are evenly distributed. When Daniel and Helen came home with the bags of goodies they'd collected, they dutifully packed them away. We'd have some more fruit to eat over the coming days...


Of course, none of the children really expect to find the Dreamstone. Most believe it is a myth, that it is purely a reason that allows them to gather foodie treats. In turn we maintain the tradition that allows them to believe this.

Some Mellowdenians think differently. Those that have seen and experienced the Dreamstone. 

Like me.


 

o 0 O 0 o


I think I'll leave it there. I've outlined the tradition of the Beastie Hunt. As for the Dreamstone... that's another story.

o 0 O 0 o










6 comments:

  1. I LOVE this tradition! How lovely. I'm excited to hopefully learn more about the dreamstone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I have one fellow villager to thank for my enlightenment - not that I fully understand everything. With that in mind I'll try and muddle through reporting my experience. I don't know; sometimes it would be easier to take things on face value... but that's not me. Just ask Bridget!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, how mysterious! What a note to end on, Darcy!
    I loved hearing about the Beastie Hunt - what a fun tradition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks GreyRabbit! The Beastie Hunt is a fun time. Daniel and Helen loved dressing up as teddy bears. Bridget and I had a chuckle about the Waters' brood showing up as beastie ducklings too.

      As for the Dreamstone - maybe I won't hold off telling my story as I originally intended. I think Jackson will be back soon.

      Delete
  4. Such a fun take on Halloween! I love this tradition of Mellowdene, with the beasties looking for the Dreamstone and gathering treats. All the visitors, children and adults, were wearing wonderful costumes! Glad to see Orton having fun, too!
    Such a cliffhanger you left us with, Darcy! Can't wait to know more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ayrell! The Beastie Hunt is quite popular in the village. It was nice to see Orton having fun with Sherman. I'm pleased that he didn't allow Brendan's absence to put him off from participating.

      I've written how I came to experience the Dreamstone. Perhaps details will follow.

      Have a nice month!

      Delete