Monday 15 June 2020

What I Did Over The Weekend

After Rowan and Figwort left, I pondered a short while on how best to present their revelations to Cecile. You see, Cecile and I don't like to keep secrets from each other. Not for long anyway. Months ago, I'd told her of her brother's fantastic story of the Land of Men and - like me - she had dismissed it as an amusing tale he'd invented for my entertainment. And for Denzel's, of course. With Rowan's new revelation about Tara Lapine-Frost I was no longer certain his story was completely fictional. I didn't think I should hide this from Cecile, but I wanted to be prepared for any reaction.


Back in the kitchen, Cecile was still chatting with Beverley. They had moved on from their replay of their earlier window shopping excursion and were engaged in a conversation about the Clearwater family. It emerged that Orton had made friends with Sherman Clearwater and his cousin Luke McHedge. The consensus was that this was wonderful as it was the first friendship he'd made independent of Brendan and his friends. They were delighted at this further sign Orton had truly settled in Mellowdene.



I didn't want to interrupt and I certainly didn't want to insist Beverley leave whilst I talked to her mother. Prior experience has shown that, if my daughter's curiosity is piqued, Beverley is not averse to a spot of light eavesdropping. The subject of Rowan would have to wait.


o 0 O 0 o

Beverley eventually decided that she wanted to go to her room, that she wanted to find a particular article within her back issues of her Bunny Craft magazines. After making sure that my daughter had left I began to broach the subject of my brother-in-law.

"Cecile?"

"Hmm?" She was preoccupied with looking for something in the kitchen drawer.


"I was just speaking to Rowan..."

The doorbell rang.

"Yes?" said Cecile, turning.

"Er, it can wait. There's somebody at the door." This wasn't a tale to share with visitors.


o 0 O 0 o

The visitor was an uneasy Eve Wildwood. Eve is Brendan's teacher and the fact she was calling at weekend with an unsettled demeanour made me wonder if it was serious. Educational connections aside, I knew Eve well enough from our work together at the Melting festivals. Rather than bring Cecile through to join us in the living room I took Eve through to the kitchen.


"Oh, hello Eve," said Cecile pleasantly, wiping her paws. I then watched her face change; clearly her thoughts must have paralleled mine. "Wait. What's Brendan done?"

A weak smile. "Yes, it is about Brendan. But I think you should read about it in his own words." Sitting, she placed an exercise book on the table, opening it to the most recent piece of work, explaining as she did so.



"Last Monday, I assigned some homework to both my classes. They were given the same assignment that had to be handed in on Friday. They had to write 'what they did over the weekend'. Well, I started marking them today and then came across Brendan's submission." She pushed the book towards us, so we settled down and began to read.



o 0 O 0 o

The Waterworks Disasster

Nolly, Hughie and me were playing on our way to Hughie's house. We had just past passed the waterworks and saw a hole in the fence. 


It was a big hole. We got threwh through easy. We didn't see Mr Vandyke or any of his workers. There was an open window and used a crate to clime climb up.

It was oil smelly inside and there was were lots of pipes. Some were greasy but we was were careful not to mess our clothes. The dials clicked a bit. We wanted to see where the water stream from Sweetwater Lake was divurted diverted and filtered for Mellowdene.


After, Hughie said he heard the water from the underground stream. We looked for it for hours and hours (hours?) and when we heard someone coming we hid. Then Nolly found the trapdoor.


The ladder was a bit slippy but we got down. There was not much light and the stream was very whizzy. It had a clean smell. I nelt knelt down to get a better sniff but I started to slip down to the water. 

I was holding on and Hughie and Nolly were trying to pull me out so I wooden wouldn't die but they were starting to slip as well.


We was were giving up when Michael came and pushed me up. Michael is very strong. It was good to see Michael. 

We got out of the waterworks and nobody saw us. I was wet and Hughie said I must get dry at his house.

The week end weekend was nearlly nearly a disasster disaster but it was a happy ending. 


o 0 O 0 o

We let the exercise book drop back onto the table. Eve waited for our reactions. Cecile spoke first.

"So you actually think Brendan and his pals went into the depths of the waterworks?"


Eve nodded, pointing to the book. "It's his own words, complete with his creative spelling. I should add that both Nolly and Hugh also mentioned the waterworks in their homework, albeit not to the same detail."

"Perhaps so," said Cecile, "but our children have strict instructions not to go in such places unless accompanied, and we mentioned Van Dyke's Waterworks specifically."


I agreed. "Apart from that, if he'd been in any danger, had any sort of accident, he wouldn't keep that from us."

"Then I don't know what to say.," said Eve, again looking at the exercise book. "Brendan includes some convincing details. If there's the slightest chance it could be true I need to inform the other parents."


I heard the front door slam and a pair of happy voices floated into the room.

I inclined my head in their direction. "Then perhaps we should first hear from the author." I cleared my throat and called. "Brendan? Can we see you, please?"

Cecile suppressed a smile. We knew our son.

Brendan and Orton entered, pushing past each other in good humour, and then they ground to a halt when they saw Eve Wildwood.


"Um, hello Miss," said Brendan.

Orton gave a little wave. "'llo."


Eve nodded. "Boys." She turned her gaze to me, raising her brows. Before I could speak, Cecile took the reins.

"Brendan. Miss Wildwood has just been showing us your homework. It's most impressive but we're a little concerned when we read about your accident."


Our son beamed. "Good, wasn't it?"

"Good?" said Eve Wildwood, unable to keep silent. "Do you mean it was good how you escaped injury or worse? Because I can't see how it was 'good' otherwise."

Brendan's face fell. "Didn't you like it Miss? I tried to make it exciting. The place is full of dangerous stuff."


"A place you're not supposed to go to," added Cecile quietly.

"I know. That's what makes it exciting. So it's better when Michael rescues us." He turned back to Eve, his eyes rounded. "You really didn't like it, Miss?"

Eve sighed and bent towards him. "You told it well, Brendan, but you shouldn't have put yourselves in danger."

"What?" he said, pulling in his chin. "No! You don't think it's real? It's pretend."


"Pretend? A piece of fiction?"

"'Course it's friction, Miss."

"That's 'fiction'. No 'R'". But you were supposed to write about what you did over the weekend."


"I did. You said we should choose something we did that we found interesting. That was the game me, Nolly and Hughie played after passing the waterworks."

"I suppose I did say that..." mused the teacher, and then she rallied. "But you described the place exactly."

"Yes, but you took us there on a school trip last year, remember Miss?"

Eve closed her eyes. "Yes, I remember."


Orton nudged Brendan. "Was it good?"

Brendan shrugged. "It was alright. It needed Michael to make a story, though."

"Wait a minute, Brendan," said Eve, "who exactly is Michael?"

My son fixed her with a disappointed stare. "Aw, Miss. You've forgotten already?"

He reached out to his exercise book and flipped the pages back to an earlier piece of work. He pointed to the title.

"There."


I had already figured it out, having witnessed so many of my son's imaginative roleplay games, so I made sure I was the one to read out that title in my most resonant voice.

"Michael the Friendly Sea Serpent."


o 0 O 0 o

Everything was settled. Brendan and Orton had run off to continue their play in Orton's room. Just before she left, Eve Wildwood had become most apologetic.

"I'm so sorry, Cecile, Jackson," she had said. "I should be used to Brendan by now."

"Don't concern yourself, Eve." I had responded. "He surprises us sometimes."

And then, at last, Cecile and I were alone.

"Well," she said, "that was fun."


"That's one word for it. We have created a unique boy."

"We certainly have."

"Maybe that's what's meant by the phrase 'making your own entertainment'."


"Cheeky." Her eyes sparkled mischievously. "What about the phrase 'what we did over the weekend'?"

"Maybe. So long as Brendan doesn't write about it."


It's times like these I cherish. I'm so grateful that I found a rabbit to make my life so sweet.

Briefly, I remembered I needed to talk to her about Rowan.

But that could wait.

o 0 O 0 o

6 comments:

  1. Hello Jackson,

    This was a fun story! How very Brendan to write such an interesting piece of fiction for a school assignment, hehe. I found it quite interesting myself. I had the feeling something was off about Michael from the beginning. The Friendly Sea Serpent! But of course, haha! Poor Miss Eve, no wonder she got a fright!

    Great work, as always!
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ayrell! I'm glad you liked it.

      As mentioned on the forum, trying to meet the Creative Challenge brief of "Mishaps, Disasters and Things Gone Awry" was giving me a sort of writer's block. This was because of the variety of things that had already gone awry in my earlier stories. I felt I would need to raise the danger level in order to fulfil the challenge, yet I didn't want to spoil the Sylvanian vibe. It was only thanks to an inspirational suggestion by Tenchibaka (a story within a story) that I managed to pull this all together in two days.

      Brendan's imagination has always been evident in my previous tales. He'd invented the story about Russell and Nugget as secret agents. He is forever playing at pirates and his love of the Flash Gopher TV show is well document. Michael the Friendly Sea Serpent was conceived when Butterglove House was recarpeted (although not publicly named at that point). So some credit for the story also goes to Brendan Brendan Butterglove - the ideal candidate.

      It was nice to include Eve Wildwood as an active character; although she made an appearance in The Melting, she's only been mentioned as a background character since. As one of Brendan's inadvertent influences it was time fir her to be seen again.

      Take care!

      Delete
  2. You should publish a book with these stories! Greetz, Pigjes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pigjes, and thanks!

      I enjoy writing these stories, seeing how the characters interact/develop and the village evolves. It would be nice to collect them together in a book. I might look into doing that privately for myself one day.

      However, I'm aware they are not 100% canon compared with the Sylvanian information published by Tomy/Flair/Epoch. Copyright protection is undoubtedly an issue too.

      I'm happy to share my enjoyment of the Sylvanian Families characters via my fan fiction, and if other people gain happiness from reading about my Mellowdenians and their lives, that's a wonderful bonus for me.

      Stay safe and happy!

      Delete
  3. Oh, I love this story! I think it might be my favourite one yet of yours, Jackson (certainly one of my favourites, anyway!) Pleasurably intriguing, and then the reveal really made me laugh. Poor Eve. :) Plus I love some of Brendan's questionable grammar and the downright hilarious way he occasionally phrases things ("Hughie and Nolly were trying to pull me out so I wouldn't die" - classic) :D
    Once again another fun instalment from Mellowdene! Looking forward to the next one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm truly delighted you enjoyed this story.

      Once the idea of the story is there, I now find I get a lot of joy exploiting the attributes of my established characters. Providing situations, knowing how they are likely to react, and taking opportunities to advance relationships. Brendan's speech patterns certainly help!

      The photos often provide the icing on the cake and inspire minor edits to the narrative. Orton putting his hand on Brendan's back, almost pushing him forward is a little thing but highlights the close friendship that has developed. Jackson seeming to snuggle against Cecile at the table was a happy photographic accident but undoubtedly suggested their final flirtatious dialogue.

      I'm still pondering how to approach the next story. Hopefully I'll be inspired sooner than with this one so I won't be as rushed!

      Delete