Monday 16 March 2020

A Work of Artifice (Part 3)

I had no idea what had happened. No idea if Cecile had caused Angelica's rapid departure. No idea where Angelica had gone. Maybe Rowan could suggest an answer to that question.

"I don't know, mate. I can tell you that, after we talked, she wondered if she could fix things. But she'd not thought of anything earlier this morning."


I sighed. "I wish this hadn't happened."

"I was thinking the same, but I had an additional reason for that. I was going to have a quiet word with you."

"Well, we're in limbo until Angelica returns. You may as well tell me what's on your mind."

"Yeah. Okay," he said, then lapsed into silence.

I had a sudden memory. "Is this the advice you started to ask me about before Christmas?"

"I guess so," he mused, and then continued, "I'm worried about Figgy."



"Figwort? Why? He's not ill, is he?"


Rowan waved his hand dismissively. "We all had a medical check up with Henry when we moved into the village. No, it's... well, what do you think of him?"

I felt put on the spot. What did he want to hear? No point in being anything but honest. "He seems a lovely lad. A credit to you. Polite. Quiet. Maybe a little shy?"

A tight nod. "Yep. They're the outward signs."

"Suppose you tell me the problem rather than having me guess."

"Fine. Well, I've said before that the main reason we settled in Mellowdene was to give the children stability. During our travels we had stopped in assorted places to give them opportunities to associate with other children, but that was only for a handful of weeks each time."


"And you now think that wasn't enough?"

"Yes. No. Maybe. I noticed that, while Aster tended to settle within days, Figgy was always more reserved. He'd join in activities, but his heart never seemed in it."

"What did Angelica think?"

"She didn't think it was a real problem. 'Different personalities,' she said. 'So he takes longer to warm to people than his sister. He's a loving little boy with us. And it's not as if he's ignoring the other children.'"

"And?"

"And I let it continue. It's not as if I was exactly a stable little boy myself."


"That sounds a little harsh on yourself."

"No. It's true. By the time I was Figgy's age, I felt something was missing in my life. I didn't know what. There was a year when I wasn't very well-behaved, but Cecile covered for me. I eventually realised I needed a little excitement in my life, and that's when I started to gently wind people up. Play little jokes on people, but always careful not to go too far."


"It sounds like you've thought about it a lot."

"I have. It's also what gave me the desire to go travelling. Experience new things; just a tiny bit of excitement."

"And how does this fit in with your concerns about Figwort?"

"About a year ago I caught sight of him, standing, looking into the distance, so I went to up to him. It was then I recognised the expression on his face. I'd seen it in the mirror when I was a kid. Something was missing in his life."


"What?"

"No idea. But travelling around wasn't fixing it for him. I decided that we needed to settle. Give him a chance to find what he needed without the distraction of new places every week."


"And now you're settled in Mellowdene?"

"Aster's happy. You saw her with Beverley. And Angelica likes it here. Although she loved travelling too, I guess I always knew she was doing it mainly for me." He gave a little laugh, but there was no humour there. "And my travelling had simply become a habit. The urgency I felt when I started out has long since gone. My time in the Land of Men... well, I know you don't..."

"Forget it. Not important. What about Figwort?"

"We've been here months, and despite family, school, a network of potential friends... he's still doesn't seem totally settled. I don't know what to do."

I looked at my brother-in-law. The jolly, upbeat demeanor was nowhere to be seen. He was worried. Noticing my attention, he met my gaze.

"I thought you may have some ideas. You've had a similar situation," he said, then, noticing I didn't follow, he prompted me. "Orton? Wasn't he also sort of isolated with his parents?"


"Orton? Right. Well, I don't think that really compares, Rowan. Orton knew exactly what he wanted. When he lost his parents, all he wanted was family. And he ran off, even stowed away in order to achieve that aim."

"But now he's settled. Brendan treats him like a brother."

"I know. But the point is, Orton wasn't searching for a purpose. He had one. If you believe Figwort is still searching, then it's not quite the same."

Rowan slumped. "No, I suppose not."

"Have you had a word with Cecile?"

"I didn't want her fussing, giving Figgy more reasons to feel bad. That's why I wanted to speak to you. You're one of my oldest mates, you're family, and I know you won't overreact."

I warmed at the compliment and smiled at him. "I'll give it some thought. We'll sort it out, pal."

The conversation changed after that. We chatted about various unimportant things until we heard someone at the front door. Angelica had returned.



o 0 O 0 o



When Cecile brought Angelica into the room, they were not alone. Ramsey Nettlefield accompanied them. I moved forward to shake his hand.

"Hello, Mr Mayor," I said.

Ramsey chuckled. "Why so formal, Jackson? Didn't you once call me Ram's Bottom"?

"And you called me Jackfruit Butternut, I recall," I laughed, "But we're not schoolchildren any more."


"True, true. But speaking of which, I'm here to have a word with your lovely daughter. Is Beverley about?"

"I'll get her," said Angelica, and she slipped out of the room before anyone could decide otherwise.

"Would you like to sit down?" suggested Cecile, but Ramsey shook his head.

"I won't be staying long," he said. "I understand that you're about to have a meal. But after Mrs Ivory explained the mix-up I simply had to come and settle young Beverley's mind. I don't like to think of her being upset."

"Mix-up?" I said.

"Oh, I do hope I've not spoken out of turn. Perhaps I'd better explain."

"This'll be interesting," said Rowan, quietly so that only I would hear.


Ramsey cleared his throat as if he was going to make a speech. Maybe he'd prepared what he was going to say. We waited in anticipation.

"I have been a little foolish," he began. "You may not know, but I am a great admirer of Lucian Frogg's art. When I heard he was coming to Mellowdene, I admit I got a little carried away. As a consequence, my talk of expanding the Melting Festival around Mister Frogg's visit was not my best idea. And now I think about it, inviting all those rocky pop musicians and sideshow stalls would have been a disaster."



He paused to assess our reactions. We nodded solemnly, which seemed to satisfy him. He continued.

"I had already started to have second thoughts when little Beverley came to speak to me." He smiled at both Cecile and me. "She's a credit to you, you know. Anyway, when she informed me that Lucian would be horrified at a big event, it came as a big relief. An excuse to cancel the whole idea. The fact I could be given a painting by him was a bonus."


I started to speak but Cecile shook her head. I let the mayor continue.

"When Mrs Ivory came to see me half-an-hour ago, she told me about her mistake. She was so embarrassed that she'd been wrong that Lucian would give me a painting. She was also sorry that she'd passed that misunderstanding on to Beverley, and consequently on to me."

I looked at Rowan and he shrugged. The mayor was talking to Cecile.

"When I heard how upset Beverley was about telling me about the error, I felt so sorry for her. When I was then told how Beverley intended to make amends by painting me a picture herself... well, it almost brought a tear to my eye. I had to come and thank her personally, and tell her everything's okay."


"I'm sure that'll mean a lot to her," said Cecile in that warm voice she uses to assure the children that all is well in the world.



With perfect timing, Angelica appeared, ushering Beverley into the room. In their wake, Aster, Figwort, Brendan and Orton followed to see what was going on.


Ramsey Nettlefield brought his palms together as if he was going to applaud but had decided against it. "Ah, there she is - my little artist - and there's young Orton too. It's good to see you."


Beverley smiled awkwardly. Orton waved, and Brendan grinned, nudging him. Aster and Figwort circled around, Aster to the left to get a better view, Figwort to the right but I could now see that he was merely going through the motions.

Ramsey looked at Angelica. "Did you tell her?"

Angelica held her paw out, waggling it horizontally. "Just the first part. I explained how you know about the Lucian Frogg error and that you're not annoyed with her. I thought I'd leave the last bit to you."


"Wonderful." He addressed Beverley. "Well, my dear. I was so touched that you're doing a painting for me, I want you to know - once you're happy with it, we're going to get it framed and it can hang in the mayoral chambers. What about that then, Beverley?"

My daughter stared at Ramsey, her eyes as round as the life belts on the Marita May. "I don't know..." - she turned towards me - "Daddy?"


Ramsey chuckled. "It's alright, Beverley. Think about it and let me know. Jackson, Cecile? Thank you for your time. I hope I haven't delayed you too much. I'll be on my way. No - I'll let myself out so you can attend to your meal."


There was an enigmatic smile on Cecile's face as she watched the mayor leave, hearing the front door close. Beverley shook herself and dragged Aster out, presumably to discuss what had just occurred. Brendan and Orton joined Figwort, who had migrated to the opposite end of the room.


Rowan drew his wife closer so that he could lower his voice, avoiding young ears.


"You lied to the mayor?" he said, "Always a surprise, Angel."

"Minimally. And even then I wasn't comfortable doing it," she said, "but it was the only way I could ensure Beverley wasn't compromised."

"I'm not criticising, love," Rowan said, nodding in unison with Cecile, "but after devising the Lucian Frogg scheme..."

"Oh no," said Angelica, a hint of amusement on her face, "You're not shifting the responsibility on to me for that. My crime was being foolish and blinkered. Blinkered enough to take forward something that should have remained a young girl's hypothetical solution to an interesting puzzle. The whole work of artifice was Beverley's idea. That's Ivory thinking, and I'm only Ivory by marriage, not by blood."

Rowan nodded. "I suppose that sort of lateral thinking is more an Ivory trait."


"Ah, yes Angelica," I persisted, "but you did figure out how to fix things with the mayor. Maybe that rubbed off as a consequence of living with Rowan."

"What makes you think it was my idea?" said Angelica, her head on one side.

Cecile winked at me. "Perhaps it's another example of Ivory thinking, Jack."

I stared at her. She smiled widely. "Let's go have lunch."


o 0 O 0 o

8 comments:

  1. Ha! Yay for Cecile, she IS rather fun. :)

    I still think Angelica deserved a bit more of a comeuppance, but then again I suppose we didn't hear her conversation with Cecile in the kitchen...!

    I must confess, I was rather hoping that this story would end with Beverley's picture hanging in Mayor Nettlefield's pride of place (and that she would get the credit for having painted it) - I think he will be very happy to be able to show off the skill of one of Mellowdene's youngsters to any important visitors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, GreyRabbit. She is, isn't she?

      The thing with Angelica is that she is well-meaning but doesn't always think things through. This occasional impulsive nature undoubtedly is a source of attraction for Rowan! Normally the couple keep each other on the straight and narrow; easier when they were more confined in their camper van, but this time she acted before she chatted with her husband. In retrospect, she regretted her actions but wasn't sure how to fix things. When Cecile confronted her she ensured that Angelica would do the right thing - which won't be a surprise to us! Angelica hates lying, so Cecile's solution will have been truly difficult for her; knowing the situation leading to this was her own fault will feel like a punishment.

      Once Beverley has thought things through, she will realise the honour Ramsey has offered her, and she will agree for her painting to be given prominence. The unfortunate aspects of the events leading to this will diminish in her mind, and she'll be delighted and proud to see her work on display. Thanks to Ivory thinking!

      Delete
  2. Hello Jackson,

    I thoroughly enjoyed this story! I read Part 2 a few days ago and was glad to see Part 3 posted, as that one ended in quite the cliffhanger, hehe.
    I'm glad everything was sorted out in the end. Mayor Nettlefield is such a kind and understanding man! I'm sure Beverley will be very happy to have her painting in a place of honor once everything has settled, as you mentioned in your comment to GreyRabbit. Enjoyed the references to the Ivory mischievous gene, hehe!

    I'm curious about young Figworth now! Hopefully you'll explore that in future stories.

    Thank you once again for yet another enjoyable story.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ayrell. Lovely to hear from you. Thanks for your comments.

    Ramsey Nettlefield is a gentleman. He was, of course, a little disappointed that he wouldn't be getting a gift from his favourite artist but I think a part of him thought that was good to be true anyway. He was quite taken with both Beverley and Orton when they brought the Wish List issue to his attention, so the fact Beverley is doing a painting for him has mitigated any disappointment.

    The Figwort story has been building quietly in the background ever since he and his sister first made an appearance. Little mentions of this shy little bunny were slipped into subsequent tales, and now Rowan has revealed his concern. You can be assured that his story will be progressed, though probably not resolved just yet!

    On the forum I enjoyed hearing about your recent Sylvanian purchases, so I look forward to the time you feel able to reward us with new tales from Arcfield.

    Keep well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jackson! The past few days I have been reading this three part story and have thouroughly enjoyed it! I love how you develop you characters and weave different situations into the story.
    I'd be intrigued to know more about what's up with Figwort! Is their going to be a part four?
    I'm glad that everything worked out alright with Beverley! I must say, that painting she was doing for the mayor was beautiful! She is quite the artist herself!
    Boy, Rowan looked like he was a handful when he was younger! The photo of him as a child made me laugh!
    Have a great week! Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelsie. I'm truly pleased you like my writings. I'm a fan of your stories too. You should pop onto the forum to make people aware of your latest story about Briar Wildwood. It is a lovely story.

      As for Figwort, his story will be told, but not as a part four of this particular tale. I may continue to lay tiny clues as to his needs, and I expect Jackson will be watching him more closely.

      It appears my Ivory family do have slight quirks. Hopefully, with some Butterglove blood added to the mix, Beverley and Brendan's behaviour won't be as extreme as Rowan when he was a youngster!

      Hope you're well and keeping safe.

      Delete
  5. Hi Jackson,
    What a great trilogy!
    You know I enjoyed part one and I was looking forward to finding out what was going to happen next. I was really concerned about Beverly.
    When I finished reading part 2 I wondered what had happened with Angelica. For a moment ,I thought the conversation she had with Cecile in the kitchen didn´t end in good terms so she decided to leave. Cecile had reasons to be mad with her sister-law.I don´t blame her.
    I´m glad you wrote part 3. It is a satisfying conclusion. I expected a happy ending and I really liked the way things turned out at the end. I´m very happy for Beverly. No more worries for her! She must feel very proud to know her painting will have such a place of honor. She is a bit of an artist herself! I´m sure Mayor Nettlefield will like his portrait. He proves to be a kind, understanding and sensitive man. Mellowdene´s residents are lucky to have such a good Mayor.
    As for your pictures, I´d like to tell you I love the kitchen in story 2. The Butterglove´s home looks much more homey and cozy as time goes by. The picture of the bike on top of the roof is great. Wonderful Photoshop effect! I must say Rowan was quite mischiveous when he was a boy. I wonder how he managed himself to put that bike on top the roof:)

    Have a nice day , take care and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cutata. I hope you're keeping well.
      Thank you for your lovely comment. It's nice to know you picked up upon the uncertainty over Cecile's conversation with Angelica; that was my intent. Very pleased you liked my kitchen in part 2. The walls are now attached to each other for stability, and the sliding door to the larder helps solve an inconsistency with earlier stories where the door wasn't/was apparently present. The stability should make it easier to include in new stories.
      I'm also glad you liked the conclusion, and particularly nice to know that Ramsey Nettlefield is seen to be a good man.

      Take care!

      Delete