Wednesday 8 January 2020

The Contract

Hi, I'm back. I'm sorry I wasn't free to write something for you last time, but Darcy did a great job. I wonder why he needs me, with his reporting background. Still, never mind. I should explain myself, even though Darcy touched upon the reason.

You may recall that Lionel Grand released a successful long playing record and that Christian Snow-Warren and I had written three songs where soprano Tamara Lynx had featured.


No? Well, it's no matter. The point is that our songs drew the attention of a noted producer. I was approached to compose the tunes for a musical based upon the epic poem The Sylvan River. It seemed to be a great opportunity until I read the contract. It didn't mention Chris. The main reason was that they wanted to use words from the poem. Understandable, but I didn't want to exclude my friend and songwriting partner. I wanted to argue his case so I travelled out of Mellowdene just before Christmas to meet the producer in person. So now you know why Darcy had to fill in.


In case you're wondering, the discussions with the producer resulted in a compromise. The Sylvan River tells a story, but there are parts of the narrative which are rushed compared to the rest. Purists may argue, but the producer was of the same mind. I suggested that Chris write the lyrics for additional songs that would make the pace of the musical more consistent. He didn't need much persuasion. The contract will be amended accordingly.

This good news made for an enjoyable Christmas. Cecile said she was proud of me, which was nice. After Christmas we went for a meal with Chris and Charity where we surprised them with the news.


The meal was delightful. We hadn't been to the Seaside Restaurant since it was sold to Basil Hazelwood and renamed The Mousehole. The menu had expanded to accommodate his culinary magic, but still had the wonderful sea food available for diners. After the plates had been cleared, Basil came to our table to have a word.


"I wanted to retain the connection with the Seaside Restaurant franchise," he explained. "To do this, I was able to convince Lawrence Seabreeze to keep a token percentage of the place and he agreed to be a sleeping partner. Happily, Caspian Neptune was delighted to stay on as the sea food chef; I can't begin to compete in that area."

"Wins all around," I commented.

"Definitely." He chuckled. "And speaking of good cooking, I should have a chat with your brother. My own brothers tease me sometimes, telling me of Merlin's skill."

Cecile smiled. "He cooked the main dish this Christmas. We all had a pleasant doze afterwards."

Their conversation continued but I was distracted with a memory Basil had prompted.

o 0 O 0 o

I didn't visit Darcy until the new year so I wasn't familiar with his "Life in Mellowdene" writings until he let me look at his computer thingy. I liked his idea about writing stories about the mice community. Darcy has superb memory for detail so he will be able to recall events and conversations accurately enough to convert into stories.


When he spoke of the Hazelwood brothers it renewed the memory that I'd had in the restaurant. I promised myself that I'd have a chat with Merlin to clarify a few points - it could make an interesting story...

o 0 O 0 o

7 comments:

  1. Hi Jackson!

    Great story with great pictures, as always! It was very interesting to find out why Jackson had to leave Mellowdene for a while. Such an honest and generous rabbit! No wonder his wife is proud of him, I'm sure Chris and Charity were delighted at the news of the wonderful job opportunity. Can't wait to see more of the musical!

    Sounds like the new managements of the Seaside Restaurant (The Mousehole!) is doing swimmingly so far! Glad Basil managed to keep the Seabreezes and their wonderful cook on board.
    Can't wait to read more stories on the mice community of Mellowdene!
    Have a great week-end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ayrell!

      I'm glad you like this - shorter than usual - story. Although I wanted to expand on the Jackson's contract and take the Mousehole story forward a little, the main reason for writing this was to provide a connection between the last story by Darcy, and the next one, entitle The Time Capsule. It was nice to use the Woodland Bus again!

      Delete
  2. Hi Jackson! This story was a delight, as usual--with great pictures and an interesting plot. I liked how you renamed the Seaside Restaurant into the Mousehole (how creative!) and the little album cover featuring Lionel Grand and Tamara Lynx. Everything was very cute and I can't wait to read more :) I hope you have a great week!
    Emilie and the Maples

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emilie, and thank you for your comments! I'm happy you liked the story. I had to cheat when putting together the album cover as I don't own Lionel!. I hope I'm forgiven! I hope you like the followup...

      Delete
  3. Hi Jackson!
    I really enjoyed this short story!
    I love the album cover featuring Lionel Grand and Tamara Lynx. It looks very professional!
    I´m sure the songs written by Jackson and Chris were a great success.
    It´s lovely to see how Jackson is so honest and fair and such a good friend. Chris is very lucky to have him as a his songwriting partner! It´s good news that the contract will be amended.
    I love the new look of the Seaside Restaurant and its new name.You did a very ood job on the sign. It looks great!
    The idea of writing stories about the mice community sounds very interesting!
    I´d love to read some of them in future posts.

    Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I meant to write " a very good job" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cutata! I'm happy to have done either a good job or an ood job! Your comments are always appreciated.
    With Darcy happy to volunteer information to Jackson, stories about the mouse community will be available to exercise Jackson's pen.

    ReplyDelete