Sunday 15 December 2019

Christmas Dinners

With the Buttergloves and their relatives being so numerous in Mellowdene, the idea of a Christmas dinner where we all attend is sadly impractical. Someone suggested that we erect a marquee in the field between Butterglove House (where Merlin and I live with our families) and Butterglove Lodge (where my cousins live with their families). That would provide enough space to include my brother Newton, his family and his in-laws too. Nevertheless, nearly all of us rejected that idea - we'd tried it once before, and that was despite objections about poor weather conditions, lack of comfort, and carrying food and drink from the houses. The reason? Well, let's just say the experience didn't end well.


The Periwinkles have a large family too, and they once booked the village hall, making use of the kitchen there. Alex Periwinkle confided that, whilst it was reasonably successful, most attendees missed their own homes. Apart from that, other bookings of the hall mean there can be pressure to fit in with a strict schedule. Not something you want at Christmas.

As such, we all usually settle for having separate Christmas dinners in the comfort of our homes, but compensate by visiting each other over the period.

For me, this means everyone living at Butterglove House has Christmas dinner together, with the attendees not much different to any other week. We knew we'd be a little more cramped this year but we didn't mind - Orton doesn't take up much space! However, Cecile was thinking that, since her brother has returned to the village, Rowan and his family would dine with us too. Understandable, but that would have boosted the attendees from eight to twelve. With the best will in the world, our dining room won't accommodate that many. As luck would have it, Rowan popped in for a chat before any arrangements were made and I was in the dining room, wrapping presents.


"Hi", he said as he came in. "Brendan sent me through."

"Oh, hi Rowan," I replied. "Glad you've come around. Cecile was wanting to have a word."

"Really? what about?"

I outlined Cecile's thinking about the invitation to Christmas dinner. Rowan's smile was apologetic.


"No can do, Jack," he said. "It's our first Christmas in our new home. Angelica wants to have dinner there. You understand that, don't you?"

"'Course I do. I understand perfectly. I'm sure Cecile will too. When you explain it to her."

"Ah. Can't you...?" Rowan began, smiling when I shook my head. "Okay, I'll tell her."

"Has Angelica got something special planned for the meal?"

"I expect so. Her cooking is usually... functional. Not unpleasant but not what you'd call challenging. She'll want to make an effort for Christmas, though. Should be okay, I guess." He sighed. "What about you guys?"


"Shared effort as usual," I summarised before outlining the intended tasks. "I'll be making a special fruit punch and assemble the appetisers. Cecile and Eliza will prepare the soup, the fruit platters and roast vegetables using recipes from Old Bun's Cookbook, although there are some desserts in the last issue of Critter Cuisine that has piqued Eliza's interest. As usual, Merlin will do the main. He says he's doing a mixture of carrot, walnut and wild mushrooms, but he'll encase that in pastry and pipe in a mixture of melted mature cheeses."

"Oh, don't. I'm dribbling."


Merlin likes cooking. When we had an extension built on his side of our house to provide an additional kitchen and bathroom, Merlin helped design it. Whilst both Cecile and Eliza are very good cooks, Merlin is the one who tends to be more adventurous, and he creates some tasty nosh, I can tell you.


"Tell you what," I said, "if there's any left, I'll save you a bit. You can warm it up."

Rowan laughed. "You're a star, Jack."

I glanced at him. "Yeah. A shining beacon in the night." A thought occurred to me. "Hey, will this be the first proper sit-down Christmas dinner you've had in a while? Seeing as you've been on the road for years?"


"Actually, no. That would have been last year when we were camping in Vandykeville. We had dinner with some lovely friends there. I guess that's what started us thinking that it was time we settled down. Fairer on the kids too."

"So that's why you decided to return to Mellowdene? You've never really said."

"A big part of it, I suppose. We've been traveling for so long - the kids all their lives - and my wanderlust wasn't as strong as it was. When it occurred to us that we needed to settle, we did consider Vandykeville, but Angelica reminded me that I'd always said I intended to come back home one day."


"What about this 'wanderlust' as you call it? Do you think that's over with?"

He regarded me with a thoughtful expression on his face, as if he was assessing me. When he answered, he appeared to be choosing his words carefully.

"I know you think I'm a bit whacky. That the tale I told you about the tribal cats, the tunnels and the Land of Men was all out of my imagination. Maybe it was. Hey - maybe their weird fruit drinks contained more than fruit. But I feel that it happened. That I was stranded away from Sylvania for months. And that did take a lot of the wanderlust out of me."


I wasn't used to my brother-in-law being so serious. It was a little unnerving, and yet I felt closer to him than I had for years.

"Wow. That's..."


He reached out and patted my arm. "You don't need to say anything, Jack. It's good to be home. It's heartwarming to see how happy my sister is with you. You've got a great family, mate. So have I. But it's about time we were part of a community and had more than just passing friends. After all, it's not done you any harm."


He stood. "I'd better go and tell Cecile that we won't be having Christmas dinner with you this year, but stress that there'll be other years. That might satisfy her, I suppose."

Before he left the room he turned and looked at me again with that same pensive expression, saying "You're a good mate, Jack. I might be asking your advice soon."


Before I could respond, his face brightened. "Do you think Merlin can be persuaded to do take-out?"


o 0 O 0 o



10 comments:

  1. Hello Jackson,

    I really enjoyed this story! I found it very original that you wrote about the organisation of the dinner (and the difficulty of planning with huge families involved) rather that about the dinner itself. Love that first picture with the pavilion flying away, haha! Poor them!
    I also liked the insight into Rowan's thoughts, and sounds like his travels in the real world affected him more than we thought. It can't have been easy to be away from his own world and other Sylvanians!
    I'm sure he and his children will thoroughly enjoy the meal Angelica prepares. The poor thing, she'll be doing her best for sure! I hope Merlin's takeout isn't needed!
    Have a great rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ayrell, and thank you!

      I wanted to show that Rowan was settling in, but also hint that something was on his mind. His final comment about Merlin was undoubtedly an attempt to make light of this. Angelica's cooking is fine, but having been on the road for years with her family, this is the first time she's had access to more than a rudimentary kitchen. I think she will do a great job!

      Have a great Christmas!

      Delete
  2. Hi Jackson!
    Great story! Like Ayrell said, it was refreshing to hear about the true realities of Christmas, not the perfect Christmases (hope I spelt that right!) that are often portrayed on TV!
    I couldn't help chuckling at the picture of the marquee! Yes, I can definitely see why they don't want a repeat experience, the poor things!
    I love the present-wrapping scenes! Those presents look so realistic! And the Christmas garland is lovely! Did you make the rolls of wrapping paper?
    I hope it all works out for them! It's quite fitting how the village rabbits have very large families. It reminds me of the Winnie-the-Pooh stories and how it was mentioned that Rabbit had alot of friends and relations!
    Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelsie! Thanks for your comments - and yes, I made the wrapping paper, parcels and the outsize scissors!

      Unlike the Wish List story which had more of a plot, this was more of a character piece for Rowan. I added the marquee for a bit of a lift!

      The garland was a delightful present from Emily in New Zealand (nzemily) and I received it with her Christmas card. The timing was ideal as I was wondering how to decorate the Butterglove's dining room.

      There are quite a few large rabbit families in Mellowdene, but it's not just the bunnies who have a number of relatives - one need only look at the Waters!

      I hope you have a lovely Christmas!

      Delete
  3. Hi Jackson,
    I find the picture of the marquee flying away really funny but I presume the Buttergloves don´t think the same. I think the idea of having separate dinners and visiting relatives is a better choice for such large families.
    I totally understand Cecil and I hope she is not too dissapointed when she finds out her brother won´t be having their with her family.
    I´m sure Angelica will try her best to cook a delicious Christmas dinner.Taking into account Rowan´s last remark, I´m afraid he´s not too sure about it. Hope his wife proves him wrong.
    I love the scene where Jackson is wrapping presents. The garland is lovely and it makes the whole scene look very festive.

    Merry Christmas to you and to the residents of Mellowdene!
    A big hug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cutata.

      I suspect Angelica will surprise everybody. She is delighted to have a proper kitchen at last, and has been having secret meetings with Mrs Babblebrook!

      My Mellowdenians send love and Christmas cheer to all those in Sweet Berry Valley. Have a wonderful Christmas!

      Delete
  4. Hmmm... In-ter-esting... Yes, I too liked learning about how your Buttergloves celebrate Christmas - and I very much enjoyed reading about the foods they eat at Christmas! But I must confess my main takeaway from this story has to be Rowan's penultimate remark. So he might be asking Jackson's advice soon... I do wonder on what subject!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi GreyRabbit! Thanks for your comment.

      Yes, it would seem there is something on Rowan's mind. His behaviour suggests he's almost ready to seek advice about something - and yet his attempt to divert the conversation away to Merlin's cooking makes it appear he's not quite ready yet. It's enough to make Jackson curious...

      I hope you had a lovely Christmas.

      Delete
  5. Hi Jackson!

    Sorry for commenting so late--I never had the time to and Christmas and the holidays were keeping me busy. Anyway, I really enjoyed your story! It was funny and heartwarming and festive. I liked the conversation between Jackson (or, well, you) and Rowan. You did a great job here, and the tent flying away was too funny (also, good photo-shopping!). The take out joke made me laugh, too. Great job!

    I hope you had a Merry Christmas!

    Emilie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emilie! I had a nice Christmas, thank you.

      And thank you for your comment. Your apology was unnecessary. Whenever it is given, I'm delighted to get feedback on any of my stories, no matter how long it has been since it was published.

      Rowan is settling back in Mellowdene and old friendships are being re-established. He always liked Jackson, so is particularly pleased that Jackson's marriage to his sister has turned out to be a happy one. It is good that Rowan is starting to feel comfortable enough to open up to his brother-In-law. About what remains to be seen!

      Delete