Thursday 29 August 2019

Out of the Mouths of Babes

When I look at my children, the love I feel is often accompanied with a swell of pride and a cloud of wonder. How did Cecile and I produce such amazing little people?

Beverley is cleverer than she chooses to show, yet I have seen her occasionally reveal insights far beyond her years. I can see aspects of Cecile in her nature  She has begun to present a mature outlook on life, but this is peppered with the wild abandon of a little girl and a wicked sense of humour that can be hilarious. She tempers this when lightly teasing her brother, and the affection she feels for him is always close to the surface.

Brendan, eighteen months younger, takes the comments from his sister with good humour. He instinctively extracts any useful information therein, rejecting the rest, knowing Beverley will always be there for him. On the few times Beverley gets carried away, Brendan somehow is able to craft a short, appropriate retort that cuts through everything and leaves them both in peals of laughter. Sometimes they'll decide to work together on a project, bringing their individual skills together; watching them is one of life's pleasures. It is beautiful to see that relationship and being aware their closeness will continue throughout their lives... well, it is comforting.

Our son is imaginative, and some of the play stories he enacts with his best friend Lucky Snow-Warren can be complex in their narrative. I occasionally find myself watching them in their role play when I should be working, it's so entertaining.
I used to have a slight worry that he wouldn't stick with a task for too long, especially when something else attracted his attention. Cecile remarked that it showed he has an active mind and pointed out a flexibility that allows him to return to an earlier task and continue from where he broke off. Seeing this, I was amazed what an adept and complex little boy I had. Another aspect of his nature, highlighted recently, was his sensitivity and empathy for others. Following the Telly Party incident of a few months ago, we have noticed him adopt a subtle protectiveness towards his cousin Biddie. He's full of surprises too. I didn't expect him to take so much from his recent attendance at Kittie Camp; forming new friendships was a bonus.

And then there's our titchy Russell. So affectionate - he loves his cuddles. A happier child I've never known. Content to sit and play with a toy for hours on end, he will chatter away to himself - no proper words as yet, but we're not worried; it's lovely to see. I've discussed this with Cecile and Eliza, who spend a lot of time with my tiny boy, but neither are concerned; Cecile says that she was told she didn't speak much until she was three, and she's made up for it since! We've all seen him at nursery, and he makes jolly little noises when he's with the other tinies. And when he's with his cousin Nugget, they both jabber away like there's no tomorrow. Cute!

It occurs to me you don't know how Nugget fits into our family, so I'll briefly explain. We call him a cousin but he's not a blood relation. His mum Athalia is sister to my brother Newton's wife Audrey, and the two families live in different wings of Newton's modern house. As Nugget and Russell are virtually the same age, they have spent quite a lot of time together. Hearing them playing, it often seems they are having proper conversations! About what, I have no idea...

o 0 O 0 o

Only a couple of weeks ago I had been at Newton's place, chatting to Athalia and watching our tiny ones play. When it came time to leave, a door to Newton's home office opened and he came through.

"Hello Newt," I said, "I didn't know you were at home. How's things?"

He blinked, noticing me for the first time. "Oh, hi Jackson. Sorry. I was miles away."

This was nothing new. I suppose the word "boffin" was meant for him. Years ago he started off teaching advanced classes at the school - he was known as The Professor - but it was clear that couldn't last forever. When his expertise was sought elsewhere in Sylvania, the rewards and resources he was offered were too much of a temptation. He still visited Mellowdene periodically, but for a few years he wasn't that visible. He never spoke about his work, but I had the impression that he was a valued member of a think tank, developing secret items for the benefit of Sylvania.

When he met the Bonny twins - Audrey and Athalia - things began to change. It was clear he was attracted to Audrey, and his time in Mellowdene increased. We were not surprised when they announced their marriage engagement. The interest increased when Athalia also announced her engagement - this to one Trafalgar Cornflower, and a double wedding followed a few months later. Newton moved back to Mellowdene and did more of his work from home - a new house paid for partly by his employers - but he still needed to travel away from time to time.

I believe Mellowdene is seeing some benefit from Newton's work. In a consultancy role he met with Ashley Maces, and some of the recycling technology used by Mice & Clean improved their waste management. Newton also meets up with the village council from time to time, although he doesn't discuss his reasons. In any case, it's good to see my brother more often following his time spent away.

Maybe because they are twins, Audrey and Athalia are still incredibly close, and it wasn't a surprise when Newton agreed that the house should accommodate both families. That closeness continued when the sisters gave birth within a week of each other - my nieces Donna and Dinah continued the Bonny tradition of twins, and Nugget was Athalia and Trafalgar's baby boy. I happened to remark on Nugget to my brother.

"Busy with your work I expect," I said. "I've just been watching Nugget and our Russell play. We were remarking how funny it was that they seem to be having a conversation."

"Hmm? Oh, maybe they are," said Newton.

"How do you mean?"

"Communication develops from need. Maybe they developed their own language."

"Is that really possible?"

"Oh yes, it's possible. I suppose if I recorded them, fed the audio into a digital converter, customised my Worthville pattern-matching software and tied this in with results from facial analysis using another package, we could have a good stab at finding out what they were talking about. Given enough data."

I didn't even try to understand the technicalities. I just heard "record them" and "finding out what they were talking about" and nodded.

"No time to do that, though," Newton mused. "Speaking of which, I can't stop. Just taking a bathroom break."

He flashed a quick smile then disappeared out of the room. I watched the door swing in his wake and pondered Newton's words. Was he serious? Or was I victim of his dry sense of humour?

Russell tugged at my paw. He said something like "Gawa gagala" which I took to mean he wanted to go home. Maybe Newton's fancy technology wasn't necessary...

o 0 O 0 o

A few days after my brief meet up with my brother I came across a small pile of photographs on the table.
The pictures looked like they'd been taken by Newton's fancy camera, and all featured Russell and Nugget. Accompanying each photo was a small slip of paper bearing typewritten words. I was intrigued, and started to read through them.

Nugget: Kikki pupu lala.
Russell: A mimmy mimmy pubba.
- The clouds are purple in the laundry.
- And the silver lining is tarnished.

Nugget: Wah gigoh.
Russell: awawa neeek. Nana nyig kee?
- Greetings Agent Russ.
- Well met Agent Nug. Isn't it time we changed our passwords?

Nugget: Bluh bluh bluhbluh.
Russell: amma neeeek.
- Perhaps, but there is more pressing business.
- Do tell, Agent Nug.

Nugget: Egga diggi.
Russell: Oo gaga?
- It relates to Big Daddy.
- Yours or mine?

Nugget: Migga gigoh. Agga gugguddy.
Russell: Bluggle?
- Mine, Agent Russ. He returned from the docks with a package.
- Was this unexpected?

Nugget: Iggy, ooka gaga galoo kawah.
Russell: Aaga gullagulla agalee? Laga wiggi?
- Yes, however my contacts have told me the Sea Dog has given him contraband.
- Agents Donut and Dinner are on the case? Are they sure of their facts?

Nugget: Ag gagga waba - e gohgoh
Russell: Aarr.
- They are, Agent Russ. As much as it pains me, it appears Big Daddy is involved in... well, you know the technical term since it is your area of expertise.
- I see. Piracy.


As I came to the last photograph, Beverley and Brendan entered the room. They saw the photographs spread out before me and they looked at each other and giggled.

"Anything interesting, daddy?" asked Beverley, her eyes wide and twinkling.

Finding a final sheet of paper, all became clear.

Starring
Russell Butterglove as Agent Russ
Nugget Cornflower as Agent Nug

Photographs: Beverley Butterglove
Story: Brendan Butterglove
Editor: Beverley Butterglove
Project Manager: Brendan Butterglove
Concept: GreyRabbit

Thanks for the loan of
Instant Camera: Newton Butterglove
Typewriter: Darcy Fielding


I looked at my amazing children. Laughing, they ran to my side.

"We heard you talking to mummy," said Brendan, "so I thought we should do a project. I took notes while Beverley took photos".

Beverley clarified. "Auntie Audrey lent us Uncle Newt's camera, and I thought it would be good to use a typewriter. You were using yours, but I knew Mr Fielding had one. We told him what we were planning he had a good laugh."

"I bet he did." I hugged them both. "Pirates. I might have known."

Brendan and Beverley were as one voice. "Arrr!"



o 0 O 0 o

8 comments:

  1. Ha ha! Great story, Jackson! Congratulations to Brendan and Beverley on a hilarious project (and good heavens, how honoured I feel to be credited by such creative bunnies!) The photos they took of the babies are super cute, too.
    Some of the comments you made about the children make me wonder... does Mellowdene's school have a gifted program, by any chance...? Perhaps Cecile might turn out to be a good penpal for my Briar Prickles... ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks GreyRabbit! I loved your idea, so of course you deserve crediting.

      Like most dads, Jackson is a touch biased about his children! I suspect that Brendan's imagination and Beverley's structured little mind is an example of the whole being greater than the parts. I'm glad you liked the story. It was fun to do.

      Delete
  2. Aw, Russel and Nugget are so cute! I love the short story "starring agent Rus and agent Nug" this post was hilarious and adorable. Loved learning more about Beverly and Brendan.
    Have a great day, Emilie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emilie! I enjoy developing the characters of Beverley and Brendan, and it was about time Russell did more than squeak in the corner! Next time, their mum will feature a little more...

      Delete
  3. Hi Jackson!
    I love the way Jackson talks about his children. He has good reasons to feel proud of them.
    I really enjoyed the last part about Brendan and Beverly Project. Russel and Nugget performance was great!
    Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Cutata! Thanks for commenting. I enjoyed having Brendan and Beverley working together, showing that Beverley is more than a teaser. The scenes with Russell and Nugget also gave me the chance to show Snorker again, on Eliza's lap. It's fun to refer back to earlier stories.

      I hope September is going well for you!

      Delete
  4. Hello Jackson!

    Haha, this was hilarious! I, like Cutata, also enjoyed reading how fondly Jackson describes his children. I also always like reading about your well-developed characters, their relationships to each other (love the sibling relationship between Beverley and Brendan) and the many functions they perform in Mellowdene. But the icing on the cake was the secret agent talk between the babies, haha! I think Beverley might get along quite well with my Freya. They seem to share a peculiar sense of humour together with budding hints of maturity, even though they're not quite there yet!
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ayrell!

      I thought it would be nice to continue the feeling of wellbeing that Jackson and Cecile had at the end of the previous story, and showing the pride and love Jackson has for his children led nicely into the Russell and Nugget show! Since Nugget lives in Newton's house, it was also an ideal opportunity to feature Jackson's clever brother - previously mentioned but never before given a speaking part.

      Beverley is a funny little bod and probably would get on well with your Freya. She is learning how to use her wiles to get her own way, but Cecile is keeping an eye on her...

      Thanks a lot for your lovely comments. I hope you're keeping well.

      Delete