Sunday 9 June 2019

Rowan's Return

The unexpected visit by my brother-in-law Rowan Ivory made Cecile's day. Her eyes seemed brighter and laughter bubbled more readily. That sounds as if she is normally a misery, so I had better qualify my remarks in case she or one of her friends reads this (Editor's note: Not an issue from my end. DF). No-one could call Cecile a misery; her smiles lift my heart daily. But Rowan's return had highlighted an elation in her that was wonderful to see. For that reason, I avoided querying Rowan's intentions. I figured Cecile wouldn't want to think of her brother leaving again.

When he left Mellowdene shortly after my marriage, he sent us occasional updates about his travelling. Brief stops as they were, we knew he had passed through communities following the coast anticlockwise, occasionally venturing a short way inland.

We had letters from Sweet Berry Valley, Arcfield, Mystique Valley (when he briefly visited the neighbouring Island of Atlandia) and Foxfire Fells, and then the communication became less frequent. The last letter was from Greenbearshire when he said he was circling Cape Holt and planning on a longer trek inland.

It was around this time Cecile replied to his last known address to inform him that he was now an uncle to an as yet unnamed baby girl, but there was no acknowledgement. We heard nothing until he turned up on our doorstep.

Now, upon his return, Rowan had mentioned a number of places he had been but I noticed the details had been scant. Reflecting upon it later, I wondered if he was hiding something. I didn't pursue the suspicion for a similar reason to that mentioned earlier about his intentions. I didn't want to rock the boat whilst Cecile was so happy, so we lived for the moment. It was like the time before we were married, with Rowan gently teasing his sister, banter filling the room, only this time the children could witness their mother's delight.

Rowan was staying in a spare room, disappearing sporadically for a few hours at a time - to rediscover his home village, we assumed. At least that was what Cecile guessed.

"He's probably re-acquainting himself with his old haunts," she said, bustling about in the pantry.

She emerged with a smile. "I think we should arrange an informal lunch with some old friends. Let Rowan see what he's been missing."

Cecile contacted Marion Brighteyes and together they planned to use the Blackcurrant Café outside opening hours. They had a pleasant time considering past associates of Burdock Rowan Ivory, and at the end they decided to invite Tanner Blackberry, Charlie Furbanks plus Hector and Christabel Corntop. At first, I thought I wasn't going to be invited, but with a sly smile Cecile mentioned me before I could query the omission. As my pal Chris Snow-Warren had been my best man, I ensured he crept on the list too.

o 0 O 0 o

When the meet up occurred, it was close to teatime. Marion had prepared some tasty sandwiches for the invitees who had all happily accepted.

Conversation was animated and the reminiscences were frequently accompanied by easy laughter. In a calmer moment, Charlie Furbanks gently punched Rowan in the arm

"So, Rowan," he said with a smile, "how long will we have the pleasure of your company?"

Cecile had been nattering away with Marion but Charlie's question silenced her. When I looked over at her, the concern in her eyes was clear. Her laugh was a little false as she interrupted any response from Rowan.

"Come on now, Charlie," she said, "don't frighten him off! He's only just arrived."

"It's a fair point," said Rowan. "It isn't right that I should stay with you too long. You've got your own routines..."

"We love having you, don't we, Jack? said Cecile, unblinking eyes pinning me to my chair. I had to stop myself grinning at her determined attitude.

"Always a pleasure, Rowan. Especially since you've apparently stopped singing that tuneless alpaca folk music."

"Jackson..." Cecile's low voice was a warning.

"No, we don't mind," I said, "and Merlin and Eliza seem happy to have you in their spare room." I looked at Cecile. "It's their part of the house, Cessie."

"I know what Rowan means," said Charlie Furbanks. "I live with my brother's family, and if I ever dare to mention that I am taking up space when they have a growing brood, they beat me down. Still... I sometimes feel I am an imposition."

Christabel Corntop tapped the back of his paw. "Emma has told me many times that they couldn't do without your help about the house - that they're grateful to have you. And the children love you."

Charlie seemed to redden slightly beneath his fur, but I could see that he was touched at the remark.

"Charlie's right, though," said Rowan. "I'll have to move out soon - if only for my self esteem."

"Then we need to find you a house," said Cecile, taking the change of direction in her stride, nodding her head with determination.

"Seriously, Cess?" Rowan said, looking earnestly at his sister, "Who would want to live next to an itinerant rabbit? In and out of the house all year long?"

"It would be nice and quiet for them all the times he wasn't there," said Tanner with a wink.

"Don't listen to him, Rowan," said Cecile, frowning at the smiling Blackberry rabbit, "Anyone would love you as a new neighbour."

Charlie leaned forward. "One of the cottages in Bluebell Row has become empty, I hear. You remember, Rowan? The cottages near the village green, at the edge of the wooded area?

"It's not empty any more, Charlie," said Hector Corntop. "The Hawthornes have moved in. They downsized from Copper Beech cottage."

"That's right," said Christabel, "and there's a new family moving into their old place sometime this week. According to Mabel Periwinkle."

"She would know," said Tanner, nudging Chris Snow-Warren.

I had an idea. "What about taking rooms at Minestrone House? They have some free apartments."

"Aren't they just for those who work at the hospital?" asked Rowan.

"Not for a few years," I replied. "The doctors still live there, but there are more rooms now that Henry Bearbury opened it up for other residents."

"Ashley Maces and his daughter live there," added Chris, "and Captain Seadog 's crew maintain some quarters there.

"Ah yes. When Horatio was bringing me to Mellowdene, I asked his First Mate whether he used the boarding house but he said he had more permanent rooms." Rowan nodded to himself then looked ahead, eyes unfocused as if he was in deep thought. "Actually, that would be a better option. Bassett's Boarding House will do for temporary accommodation."

Cecile's face fell. It seemed her brother wasn't planning on staying too long in the village.

o 0 O 0 o

Two days later, whilst Rowan was packing his case, Cecile seemed deflated.

"Do you think you'll ever settle down?" she said in a small voice.

"One day."

"If you met the right girl, would that help?"

"If you're thinking of matchmaking, Cess, don't. And don't deny that was on your mind," he smiled. "Truth is, I met the right girl years ago. No-one will ever match my Angelica."

"Oh, Rowan. What happened to her?"

"I'll tell you some time. Soon, I promise. For now, I'll say she's in a better place."

As Cecile bowed her head, he continued, "I don't want you to be sad for me, Cess. Believe me, I'm happy in my life."

Nodding, she followed him out of the room and they passed me where I was waiting outside his door. Brendan and Beverley were waiting downstairs. Over the past week they had warmed to their new uncle and they had asked to come along when he moved to his new home. I agreed,  grateful that they could help distract Cecile. As we didn't know how long we'd be, we'd borrowed a pushchair for Russell in case he got tired.

Walking down our street, we were a little confused when we reached the corner and Rowan turned and walked in the opposite direction to the river and Bassett's Boarding House.

"Where's he going, daddy?" asked Beverley.

"I don't know, pudding," I said.

Cecile redirected the pushchair and caught us up. "Jackson, can you take Russell?" she said, and I took control of the pushchair.

Brendan ran to keep up with his mum as she hurried to Rowan's side.

I heard her exchange a few words with her brother and then she halted whilst he continued walking.

When we reached her, she turned to us.

"Did you hear that? 'He wants to meet the new neighbours'. Sometimes he can be so..."

"Unpredictable? Infuriating? Juvenile?"

"So... Rowan." She laughed. "Come on. Let's meet the neighbours."

o 0 O 0 o

Approaching Copper Beech cottage I saw someone in the garden. It was a rabbit in a russet dress and when Rowan reached her, they embraced. Lovingly.

They separated as we arrived, but I noticed that their hands continued to stray close to each other.

Rowan smiled widely. "Angelica, I'd like you to meet my sister Cecile. And this is her husband Jackson, my lovely niece Beverley and my favourite nephews Brendan and Russell."

Cecile, normally so calm, was more flustered than I'd ever seen her. Rowan was enjoying the effect his words were having. He continued. "And Cecile, this is my gorgeous wife Angelica."

"Wait a minute. You're married? And didn't you say that she was 'in a better place'?"

"Why, she is. Wouldn't you agree that Mellowdene is the best place?"

Angelica came to Cecile and hugged her. "I'm sorry, Cecile. Sometimes his teasing can go a bit far. I know he wanted to surprise you but..."

She stopped as Cecile was juddering. Holding her at arm's length Angelica looked at my wife with concern. We probably realised at the same time that Cecile was silently laughing. And then the laughter became louder. Much louder. Rowan was laughing too. Brendan and Beverley joined in, not really knowing why. It was infectious and both Angelica and I added to the chorus.

I'm certain passers by must have wondered about the big joke. I caught sight of Nancy and Misty Waters walking along, smiling at us. But eventually we calmed down. All except Brendan who had started with hiccups.

Cecile gulped down some air so that she could speak again. "And so you've moved into Copper Beech cottage? Does this mean you're staying?"

Rowan nodded. "For the foreseeable future. It really is good to be back, little sister."

Cecile smiled, closing her eyes. "You don't know how happy that makes me." But then her eyes snapped open. "But there had better not be any more surprises, you toad."

As if on cue, two young rabbits ran around the side of the cottage, squealing as they enjoyed some sort of game. They stopped when they saw us, regarding Brendan and Beverley warily.

"Just two, Cess," smiled Rowan. "Meet Aster and Figwort, our children."

Cecile had no words. The only sound was Brendan.

"Hic".

o 0 O 0 o






8 comments:

  1. Super cute, Jackson! I liked the final two surprises :)
    Copper Beech Cottage is rather nice - you will have to show us the inside one day! Goodness, you are accumulating quite a number of rabbits...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks GreyRabbit - I'm glad the surprises were fun. I hadn't planned to do much with the compact interior of Copper Beech cottage, but you inspired me to have a go. Only today I made a cardboard partition and wallpapered it so that I could create a tiny room for the toilet and separate it from the family's beds.

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness! What a suprise! I certainly wasn't expecting Rowan to be married and with kids! He must be rather good at hiding things!
    I love the first picture and the photos of Copper Beech Cottage-your photoshopping skills are amazing! The trees around the cottage bring a very woodlandy theme. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kelsie!
      I acquired the rest of the family after I'd established Rowan in my mind, so this was probably the reason they made a later appearance. Establishing the idea that he and Cecile were close, and that there was good-natured teasing in their childhood also worked nicely.
      My need to do photoshopping was originally a consequence of having no buildings, but now that I have a few, it opens up more opportunities. I'm really pleased you like my efforts. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Hi Jackson!
    First of all, I´m happy to hear Rowan has been in Sweet Berry Valley. Hope he enjoyed his visit.I wonder if he had the chance to meet Peter Bablebrook while he was there. I have a feeling the two of them have a lot in common and they could end up being good friends.
    The end of the story was totally unpredictable. I couldn´t believe it! What a lovely surprise! I´m so happy for Cecile! No wonder she was speechless! All of a sudden she finds out her brother is married with kids! It´s great Rowan and his family decided to settled down in Mellowden. I love their cottage and all the greenery around. I´m sure they´re going to be very happy. I´d love to know more about this new family in future stories.

    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've asked Rowan and he does remember Peter - especially his fancy shirts!
      Thank you for your lovely comments about my story. I've not decided the details of how Rowan and Angelica met, but it obviously curtailed his travelling. Maybe Cecile will find out...

      Delete
  4. Hi Jackson,

    I, much like Cutata, was glad to read that Rowan passed through Arcfield! I hope he enjoyed his stay!
    Wonderful story, as always! I like how Rowan and Cecile are so close and playfully teasing each other all the time, as if they were still children. And the surprises at the end sure were the ultimate practical joke, haha! I'm very happy for Cecile though! :)
    Loved the picture of all them laughing, I could almost hear them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ayrell, and thanks for your comments.
      It's been nice to concentrate on Cecile for a couple of stories, and the arrival of Rowan was an ideal opportunity to do this. Posing the laughing bunnies was a bit of fun too!

      Although I've mentioned a few other Butterglove family members in passing, perhaps it's time that some of them should have their profile raised. Maybe the next story? Who knows!

      Delete