Thursday 30 July 2020

From the pages of the Mellowdene Examiner (1/5)

The celebrated Sylvanian wit Oscar Wildebeest once said "There's only one thing worse than being talked about; it's being sung at by a tone deaf donkey in a locked bathroom."



Hi. As you've probably guessed, it's Darcy Fielding here. You may be wondering why I opened with that quotation. It's something I tell myself when I want cheering up - a sort of "well - things could be worse."

And now you're probably wondering why I'd want to do that. Well - sadly - Jackson has let me down.

That was my first thought today, but I now realise I was being unfair. Jackson is under no obligation to write these pieces for Life in Mellowdene. It's just that he usually gives me plenty of notice if he can't manage to complete something. This time, I heard nothing.

When time was approaching my usual publication date, I phoned Butterglove House to find out if I'd missed some prior communication. Cecile answered.


"Oh hi, Cecile," I said, "It's Darcy. Is Jackson in?"

She didn't answer immediately. In retrospect, she seemed a little unsure of herself. And then she said, "Hello, Darcy. No. I'm afraid he's away."


"Oh. Songwriting business I expect. No matter. It's just that.... did he leave me any papers, articles, anything for me like that?"

"Erm, No, Sorry Darcy. He went rather suddenly."

"Ah. Okay. Well, thanks Cecile. Maybe I can have a word with him when he gets back."

"Okay. 'Bye."

Then she put down the phone. I thought it was a little out of character, but I had other things on my mind. I had an article to write. Or did I? I had all my newspaper archives. Harry Hawthorne (my lead reporter, you may recall) had recently done one of his food reports. I could use that.


And so I have. Here it is.

o 0 O 0 o


Hawthorne's Hunger - The Doughty Hamburger Wagon
(from the Mellowdene Examiner archives)
(Reporter: Harry Hawthorne)

After last month's article on the Summer menu from the Mousehole / Seaside Restaurant, I felt I should avoid another five course meal and check out one of the smaller culinary outlets in Mellowdene. The question was, where was this place? It tends to move about. I am, of course, talking about the new mobile catering establishment that is The Hamburger Wagon.


I met up with Gordon Doughty at the edge of the village green where he had earlier been providing nourishing snacks for a family sports day event.


I asked him what had given him the idea to create a mobile kitchen. Did he think there'd been a need?


"Not a need as such," he replied. "but I believed that people would warm to the idea. It occurred to me that there must be places other than restaurants and cafés where hot food would be welcomed."

There had been queues when I first arrived so Gordon appeared to have made a correct assessment. And Sylvanians do like good food. I mentioned this.


"That's true. There are many good amateur cooks throughout the country, and Mellowdene has its fair share. I was talking to Burrell Hazelwood (of Mice & Clean) a while back and according to him even the librarian is quite talented in the culinary arts. All of which reminds us that we need to ensure we have a high quality product."

He went on.

"With events like the one here, ordinarily villagers would bring picnic food. Some might bring flasks of tea or coffee. Rarely you might find flasks of soup. So the opening for decent hot food was always there."


I asked if there had been any feedback from other catering outlets.

"Quite positive actually. We cater for different markets. The Mousehole does the high end evening meals. Marion Brighteyes at the Blackcurrant Café provides some of our pastries which boosts her business and the Watermill Bakery. And when Pickleweed's Pizza Emporium opens they will concentrate on home deliveries."


I knew that his entire family were keen chefs. I asked who was best.

"Why me, of course," he laughed. "But seriously, it's healthy competition and we learn from each other. It's not just me and my wife Delia. My brother Heston is showing an increased interest - he's cooking today, by the way - and my children are keen tasters. If something doesn't meet their approval we look seriously at the menu."


I had heard a rumour that they had some notable help from outside the family. I asked if he could confirm this.

"Ah yes, it's true. We have Sawyer Honeydew inventing some incredible finger food for us. Again, with the amount of excellent home cooks, it's good to be able to offer something different and exciting."



You may recall that I mentioned freelance master chef Sawyer Honeydew in an early Hungry Hawthorne report - he periodically meets with Basil and Betty Hazelwood at the Mousehole to design new dishes for their menus.

"There's no crossover there," Gordon assured me. "I think Sawyer enjoys the difference in the sorts of food he designs for us as compared with the food for Basil. Here, let me show you."

That was my opportunity to sample some of Gordon's menu and Heston's cooking.


As usual, I was in danger of over-indulging. Regarding the food I have one comment: 

You must try it.

As I waved goodbye to Gordon and Heston, Delia turned up in their rented car ready to move the wagon. Bartering with the car company - quality food for the sporadic loan of a car - works well for both of them. Community catering at work.


o 0 O 0 o

I've just noticed something linking Harry's piece with Jackson's last article about Horatio Seadog's birthday. This also mentioned the Hamburger Wagon. I love these weird coincidences.

So that's it for this week. Short and sweet. I am a little concerned about Cecile, though. Did I imagine it or was she unsettled? I may be an editor and publisher, but I still have my reporter's nose for a story. If I haven't heard from Jackson by tomorrow, I think I'll go and see if Cecile's okay.


o 0 O 0 o




6 comments:

  1. :D I love the idea of having a food waggon - it must be wonderful to hire it for a big family party, for example. Fresh hot food and you can even watch how it is prepared: that's a fab event, too. I'm sure, us and our neighbours would all be regular customers if Mr. Doughty made it to Purrchester... ;) May his new business be forever prosperous :dance:

    Thank you for this wonderful report, Harry Hawthorne!


    But why was Cecile so monosyllabic on the phone? What's going on at Butterglove's home?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Florence! Pleased to meet you.

    Thank you for your comment. Yes, Harry is a wonderful employee and friend. He enjoys writing his food reports and sampling the food; his Hawthorne's Hunger column is quite popular in Mellowdene. I've not tried the food from Doughty's wagon yet but Harry was very enthusiastic - I must remedy that.

    As for Cecile, I have been remiss. I should have called to see her before now. And I still haven't heard from Jackson. Most odd.

    I hope you're enjoying summer in Purrchester.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jackson,

    I have a feeling something must be going on a the Butterglove´s home. Cecil´s reaction on the phone and the fact that Jackson didn´t give notice to Darcy despite not having his report ready to be publised must mean something. Hope to find out in one of your next stories.

    As for Hawthorne´s repot, I found it very interesting. I haven´t seen many of this kind of wagons in other Sylvanian villages. I think it´s a good ide to have a place like this to enjoy good food outdoors when the weather is nice at special events and celebrations.
    I´m sure the Doughty´s wagon is already a popular culinary spot in Melowdene. It´s also very handy for take aways.

    Hope you are having a great summer!
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cutata!

      Lovely to hear from you. I'm beginning to think the same thing about the Buttergloves. I really must investigate. Something doesn't feel right. I'm hoping it's nothing really and Jackson will cheerfully explain. But...

      Harry would be pleased to know you found his report interesting. The wagon is a novel idea and reader feedback from the time his report was published in the Examiner seems to confirm Gordon Doughty is on to a winner.

      Take care and enjoy the summer!

      Delete
  4. Hello Jackson! Or, rather, hello Darcy!

    I can't help but wonder what was going on at the Butterglove household! It's rare for Jackson to miss delivering a piece and even rarer for Cecile to behave like that. I hope everything's OK!

    I really enjoyed learning about the Doughty Hamburger Wagon! The sports event was a great opportunity to write a report on this mobile business, Harry Hawthorne had a great idea! It sounds like Gordon and his family understand the market and their customer's needs very well. I'm sure their cooking will soon become a village favorite, as Cutata said!

    Thank you for another great story and pictures and have a great week-end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ayrell! Thank you for your lovely comment.

      I appreciate your concern for Cecile. I should have done something before now. Now that weekend is upon us I can't blame my inactivity on work. It seems others in Mellowdene are starting to wonder too. I'll update everyone when I have news.

      On the basis of Harry's report my daughter Helen tried one of Sawyer Honeydew's creations from the Hamburger Wagon. She said it was "herby nice", which is a big complement from her. I have since received a request from Delia Doughty to place an advert in the Examiner, documenting their upcoming wagon locations.

      Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete